Notices

Why do we count?

Old 01-28-2020, 01:54 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

I'm to the point where I don't count, but keep track.
I quit eleven years and one month ago. I had to just stop and figure that out.
I quit on Christmas Eve, so my quit date is easy to remember.
It gives me comfort to realize that after thirty years of drinking, I'm catching up, albeit it one day at a time, to those thirty years.
And I'm proud of my sober time. It gives me a sense of pride and that I am in the process of achieving something. Something very important.
Old 01-28-2020, 01:57 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

^^I think of it in terms of belly button birthdays, too - my first sober bday was 40, and my 10th will be 50! I think that's cool.
Old 01-28-2020, 03:33 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by August252015 View Post
^^I think of it in terms of belly button birthdays, too - my first sober bday was 40, and my 10th will be 50! I think that's cool.
That is cool, August. Very cool. You're a rock of sobriety here.
Old 01-28-2020, 04:42 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

I only loosely count and I only know cuz I'm on MyFitnessPal and I activated it the day after I quit, I don't know my exact quit date by heart but I know I'm close to 200 days just cuz MFP tells me, counting used to make me self sabotage myself everytime so I try not to focus on it too much and just work on myself and the life I want
Old 01-28-2020, 04:49 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  
MrBrad

We don't count the days.
Old 01-28-2020, 06:25 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

I definitely counted. At just about 2 years now I still count - but only years and only think about it occasionally. There's a chemical rush we get from accomplishment, and I think it's important in the early days to build that up - our bodies and souls and minds are so beat to hell it's the little things in the beginning that really start spinning us in a new direction.

Thinking about alcohol and it's effects occupy a very small part of my life these days... my focus now is a bit deeper into my health and soul....

-B
Old 01-28-2020, 06:36 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  
Sober since 10th April 2012

At first I marked the days off on the calendar, then I just marked the months. After a while I stopped but I still had some goals like 6 weeks, 6 months, a year etc.

It gave me a mood boost and a feeling of achievement. Eventually the benefits of sobriety itself took over and I stopped counting.
Old 01-28-2020, 10:40 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Aww thanks, Ghostlight. You made this insomniac alcoholic smile
Old 01-29-2020, 04:45 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

For me, everday day sober was a day further away from that horrendous last drink and another day of me not putting that poison in my system.

I couldn't tell you how many days sober I am now unless I look at my counter but my sobriety date is 22nd April 2018 so I am 21 months but I don't obsess about it now. I am delighted that I have not put any alcohol into my body since that day and I that I am healing myself physically, mentally and spiritually.
Old 01-29-2020, 07:03 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Aww thanks, Ghostlight. You made this insomniac alcoholic smile
This made me laugh. Mainly because I was awake when you posted it!
Not only are we recovering alcoholics in the same city, we're both insomniacs
Saw bed about 4 this morning. I've gotten used to it, as much as one can get used to it.
Old 01-29-2020, 07:22 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Yeah, I tried it (again) but it didn't quit work. Right now I feel oddly energetic....if y'all catch me loopy this afternoon, this explains it (reference my other post... ).

Dude, and I forgot you are here too! I knew I liked you.
Old 01-29-2020, 08:02 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Also I think lots of us quit on random days so maybe like me, it helps to keep some kind of track
I quit on a random day too August. It was the last day of my trip to Stockholm on 14th March 2019. I wouldn't remember that date though if I didn't count the days. I imagine it helps a lot of people but causes problems for others. It helps me a lot - I love seeing all the 'milestones' like a month or 100 days.
Old 01-29-2020, 01:30 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  

That's funny about remembering or not Gray - I don't think my husband really recalls his is June 9 but it's almost as reflexive to me as my own. He gets a card and present from me, which is mainly because it makes ME happy to give.
Old 01-30-2020, 05:52 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  

That's funny about remembering or not Gray - I don't think my husband really recalls his is June 9 but it's almost as reflexive to me as my own. He gets a card and present from me, which is mainly because it makes ME happy to give.
It's lovely that you get him a card and gift!
Old 01-30-2020, 07:03 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  

I haven't been counting days but I just downloaded a sober app, mainly out of curiosity cause Ive heard yall talk about them, and realized I will hit a month on Valentine's day and 6 months day before my birthday.
Kinda neat.
Old 01-30-2020, 10:23 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  

Count if you want or don’t count: the only important part is being sober now 🙏
Old 01-31-2020, 06:51 AM
  # 37 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by GrayJ View Post
It's lovely that you get him a card and gift!
My love language is gifts. His is words of affirmation. so he knows that jewelry, puppies, or opening the top of the box of my preference of energy bars so I can get in easily make me feel loved! Random gifts of chapstick or gummy bears work too. Or making the bed every morning. I'm easy.

I tend to give as I want to receive so times like bdays, anniversaries, Tuesdays...are reasons! But I know how he flourishes w words of affirmation. We both speak in acts of service which can def cross over in the bigger sense of "gifts."

We're a pretty good team
Old 01-31-2020, 07:44 AM
  # 38 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Sober45 View Post
My longest quit was 53 days. This was years ago but I remember i used to write the # on my wrist every day. It served as a constant reminder and was like a daily reward as others have said.

Funny thing is stopped writing the number on my wrist several days before falling off the wagon. How easily we forgot.
[BBM]

Useful tip - thank you!
Old 01-31-2020, 08:02 AM
  # 39 (permalink)  

I don't count. It's not as if I'm ever gonna go back to drinking. Any more than I'm gonna 'forget' to not kick our beloved Dog. Just ain't a gonna happen. I don't have Asthma anymore, either. So, I don't count Days since my last Asthma attack. IF someone stills fights the Booze obsession after Years, then they gotta do what they gotta do. I refuse to buy into the false narrative [for me] that drinking again is some inevitability. Nope. See my Signature Line below.

I use a Sober Calculator mebbe twice/Year. Usually when someone here on SR mentions their date, and I've not bothered to calculate my own Sober Time.