Notices

I知 back after 6 years of trying ( unsuccessfully )

Old 01-27-2020, 07:56 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Hi, my name tells you a lot ! I just can稚 seem to stop drinking .. although I do manage to string a few days together here and there. My withdrawals are getting much worse and frighten me .. all my binges without exception come after altercations with my son who is now 20 and has huge behaviour challenges. He uses my drinking to bribe me into giving him huge amounts of money by saying he値l post a video of me drunk on Facebook . This would destroy me me personally and professionally ! I知 so desperate to stop ! Help !
Old 01-27-2020, 08:05 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Sobriety is Traditional

Welcome back!

I was just posting for someone else about how I needed help to quit drinking. I went to the hospital, where they checked me out and gave me two IV's, then sent me to a no-cost detox. At detox, I was medicated and with others who were dealing with addiction also. After detox, the program of Alcoholics Anonymous has kept me sober.

There is help out there--please get it!
Old 01-27-2020, 08:09 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Yep, You CAN do this!
Old 01-27-2020, 08:32 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

This sounds like a very toxic and painful way of life. There is a solution...
Stay close to SR and get to AA 🙏
Old 01-27-2020, 08:38 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Icandothis2013 View Post
. He uses my drinking to bribe me into giving him huge amounts of money by saying he値l post a video of me drunk on Facebook .
Why are you allowing this to happen?
Old 01-27-2020, 08:51 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

You are being abused my friend. You might not be able to accept the fact that your son with behavioral problems is capable of abusing a vulnerable adult, but that is what is happening. You are the vulnerable adult in this case, in case you might not want to accept that fact either. You don't have to live like that. That is awful what he is doing to you. It is criminal behavior. Get rid of your son and get to an ER. At best they will help you detox and start a new life in a safe way. At worst you get away from your absolute BEAST of a son for a few days.
Old 01-27-2020, 09:01 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Adventurer

Sounds like your son needs to be cut out from contact with you. This will most likely be just as hard as quitting drinking but will be necessary for you to heal.
Old 01-27-2020, 09:05 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
nez

all my binges without exception come after altercations with my son
You are enabling your son by binging after he threatens to post videos of you drinking. Stop for that reason if no other. Don't give him any more ammunition.

As to staying stopped and preventing any future binges, what have you done in the last 6 years to help you in that aspect? Have you tried AA or SMART or AVRT or any other methods? Do you have support or are you going solo? What hasn't worked and why? What can we do to help?
Old 01-27-2020, 10:49 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

That sounds a lot like blackmail to me.

There are laws around that kind of thing, I would contact a lawyer.

If he's living with you, I doubt he would really go through with it - that would likely mean you retaliating legally...and if you lost your job, (which I doubt, unless you're doing something illegal) then wouldn't he lose his home?

I'd call a lawyer.

Regardless, stop drinking AT him. That isn't solving anything and it's trying to kill you.
Old 01-27-2020, 11:15 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

You can do this. It took me a few years of messing about for it to finally stick too!
Old 01-27-2020, 11:17 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I wouldnt tolerate that emotional and financial abuse another minute.

You need him out if he lives with you.

If he doesnt you need to cut contact with him until youre treated respectfully.

Stop drinking for YOU.

Many people here have and are doing it in many different ways.

Your son needs his own life and out of yours.
Old 01-27-2020, 11:21 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Welcome back to SR. I promise you life is so much better sober, you just need to take those steps to help you get there. What have you tried in the past? Have you tried AA, outpatient, counseling? If not, you may want to investigate which might work with you.

As far as your son goes, I would cut him off financially, and if he痴 living with you set some rules for him or tell him he needs to leave. Also, let him know posting a video of you without your permission is against the law and if he does so you will be pressing charges against him.

What can you do today to help you get a start on sobriety?
Old 01-27-2020, 11:27 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Welcome back Icandothis. I know you've posted about this very same issue with your son in the past. Until you set boundaries with him really nothing will change much unfortuantely - and you've gotten some great suggestions about how you migth go about that, both here in this thread and in past threads you've started about the same subject.

As far as the drinking goes, you can start working on that problem any time you want and SR can definitely help. You may also want to seek out some help from a local support group or resource.
Old 01-27-2020, 09:10 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Your son is an extortionist.

I seriously would not put up with it for a minute, career or no career. Your integrity is of greater value and worth.

How much can he care for you if he threatens such things? My son pushed me once, and he saw the door quick smart. We are really good now, but don't push mumma, ever.
Old 01-27-2020, 09:32 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome back icandothis

I think the best answer to all your problems is to get sober and stay that way. There's no shame in being sober.

Your son will lose his leverage for his pathetic schemes, and you'll be able to put boundaries in place against him and and stick to them.

Support makes all the difference. Keep posting!

D
Old 01-28-2020, 12:52 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I'm glad to see you back, icandothis! We joined just a couple months apart, I've missed your posts.
Old 01-28-2020, 05:42 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Obviously, what ever sobriety tools you are using are not working.

It's time to do something drastic. What about inpatient treatment, or daily AA meetings?

And speaking of drastic, kick your 20 year old son out of the house.