Notices

Six Years Today ~ Thanks SR

Old 01-11-2020, 12:02 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Congrats, MesaMan! That's an epic milestone!
Old 01-11-2020, 12:24 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  
ours de petit cerveau

congrats MM.
Old 01-11-2020, 12:43 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

"Relentlessly down to a place beyond compromise, or self-sabotage."

Congrats mate and there is notable quotable ^^

Well said.
Old 01-11-2020, 01:07 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Great post, and thanks for sharing your insights. Congratulations on finding a way out of addiction and articulating the personal journey so well. I agree on the positive karma outflow to the Universe, from this site.
Old 01-11-2020, 04:58 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  
~sb

Congratulations!!!!!!
Old 01-11-2020, 05:32 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Thank you for this wonderful post and congratulations on six years of sobriety. I love how well you have articulated the long-term benefits - I could not agree more, but would not be able to describe it in such wonderful words.
Old 01-11-2020, 07:44 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  
sober style

You always bring those great photos, MesaMan. I envy the life you're living. Congrats on your 6 years!
Old 01-11-2020, 07:47 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Old 01-11-2020, 12:18 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

SR offers many gifts, especially those who light the path for newcomers.

Mesa, your post is wise to the core, just like you. We're all fortunate to have you in our midst. I encourage those who are just starting on their sober journeys to keep this post close.

Here's to the next six!
Old 01-11-2020, 06:41 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  
Giving up is NOT an option.

Congratulations, friend. 6 years is wonderful.

As usual, wise words from you. That place beyond self-sabotage - great way of putting it. I like to say that when I was done, I knew it all the way down to the bottom of my being. I drew a line that I resolved to never cross again, no matter what. People think I’m strong, but I just made my decision and like you, found SR as one of the supports I knew I’d feel better having. I joined about 5 years ago, and it took me a while to find my way to the weekender where I first “met” you, and I thought “I like the way that guy thinks and expresses himself.”

I’m honored to call you a friend. Rock on with your sobriety!
Old 01-12-2020, 04:00 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  
voices ca**y

Congratulations Mesa. Great insights as always. I especially appreciate the part about returning to the core person we are without the addiction.
Old 01-12-2020, 07:54 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Congratulations on 6 rears!
Old 01-13-2020, 05:06 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  
quat

Over 3 and half billion miles! Congrats ! Mesa-da-man !
Old 01-13-2020, 06:05 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MesaMan View Post
Six Years ago today, I looked up from the catatonic, Alcoholic Abyss and decided in abject desperation to escape from there. Do or die.

A few Months later, after my ill-informed cold turkey quit in Early Retirement from truly-insane daily Vodka consumption 24/7, I found SR during a search. SR has been my primary support after halting 42 Years of increasingly-hard drinking, and I want to thank you all for that. My on-line Search was to find structure to buttress what I call 'The Big Quit Decision'. SR fit the needs of this kinda-Introvert swimmingly. A diverse set of viewpoints, and a plethora of 'try before you buy' perspectives, allowed me to customize my own Recovery Construct. I had a emerging sense - as my MInd cleared gradually after a few Months Sober - of what would work long-term. I *just* had to create it. The 'Secular' Section here on SR was especially useful, and inspiring. I never viewed myself as going it alone. Not with collective SR wisdom and hundreds of Members available around the Clock.

While Business Dinners and innumerable sotted Evenings in 18 Countries back when working provided a wide and memorable assortment of paid-for Ethanol, I think I will forever be amazed that such a powerful Drug is openly sold at 7 Stores locally in our nearby Rural Town of ~7,500 Persons. Alcohol availability still boggles my Recovered Mind some Days. It also serves as a reminder that serene Sobriety in the midst of such Alcohol Permeation is a necessary Mental Serenity I was on my own to create. I have. For some Years now, I've called my Mental Fortress 'Permanent, Effortless Sobriety'. Because now, it is. Any push-back against Intoxication is long gone.

Sobriety is the proverbial 'Gift That Keeps On Giving'. Through the Mental Discipline it fosters, I've lost 32 lbs. [~15 Kgs.] over the past 4 Months. Also walked away from my nightly Cigar. They were my Addiction Transfer. This trade-off was readily understood, and my choice to help cope. I'm now nearing the end of a memorable fight with an extremely-painful outbreak of Shingles. I mention these Health challenges only because the resolve with which I've tackled them is direct testimony to the composure, and mental discipline, one can achieve in permanent Sobriety.

I joke about having a Spine forged of Titanium and Kyptonite. This formidable internal resolve frames my point here. The common characteristic I read to achieving Sobriety - irrespective of Program - is for a Person to dig deep. Relentlessly down to a place beyond compromise, or self-sabotage. I've always liked the concept that we return to the Core Person we were before Addiction ensnared us. The pristine Values of our Youth. That Core was still there, and I was one of the fortunate ones to be allowed to embrace it again Sober.

My best *thinking* was not what kept me drinking. My best thinking, and ultimately what freed me, was the clear, innate thinking that emerged after first sobering up. Alcohol temporarily obliterated thinking. Alcohol, however, did not destroy it. Even after Decades. Taking full responsibility for my Sobriety was not easy. But, it was simple. I never did surrender. Quite the opposite. I recognized clear choices, and forced the sole responsible Entity in my Bathroom Mirror to manage them over time. I was not about to accept the lie [for me] that Alcohol still determined my future when any role of Alcohol was solely my decision. I could live to see the view below out our Kitchen Window. Or, I could die in a Medically-induced Coma during excruciating Organ Failure, as an acquaintance did.

'Intelligence is not what you know. It is knowing what you don't know'

In ways that will never be visible to The Selfless here, and via the steadfast efforts of Mods, I recycle to Strangers the invaluable insights of Sober Life learned in part on SR. I pay it forward to my Friends at the local Dog Park whose Spouses, or Children, are ensnared in Alcohol, Meth, or Kratom. To Folks I meet at RV Parks in our Trailer travels. Contributors here live on in the aggregate of the Sober good and Kollective Karma that flows out into The Universe, and ultimately helps others in ways not readily apparent.

This generous flow might be the greatest gift of this Community, and I thank you all for comprising it.

To those struggling in a myriad of sometimes-hopeless situations: never give up...
You have inspired me more than I can say.
wishing you every continued happiness.
Old 01-13-2020, 07:02 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  
Life Goes On

Mesa, thank you for favoring us with your sober presence.

O
Old 01-14-2020, 03:00 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  

Congratulations my dear friend!
Old 01-14-2020, 04:41 PM
  # 37 (permalink)  
~sb

Congratulations!!!!!!
Old 01-14-2020, 04:48 PM
  # 38 (permalink)  

Congratulations on 6 years!!!
Old 01-14-2020, 04:54 PM
  # 39 (permalink)  

This is amazing. And inspirational. Truly. Thank you.
Old 01-14-2020, 06:34 PM
  # 40 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

6+ years - how fabulous, MesaMan. So very proud of you and happy you're part of us.