Notices

On day 3, feels like a lifetime , but nonetheless.

Old 01-05-2020, 01:35 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

On day 3, feels like a lifetime , but nonetheless.

I guess its because iam not very busy this holiday period so I have a lot of time on my hands. But that's the circumstances so iam just Ridding with it.

Before New years it was just a insane social environment, not a single bit of silence. The last three days I have been sitting in my apartment just enjoying the silence.

First day - felt groggy and numb (hungover)

2nd day - woke up with extreme anxiety and a feeling of impending doom . I used this negative energy to get myself to the gym.

3rd (today) - I'm still alone in my apartment but I actually started smiling today, naturaly. I think I'm just enjoying healing myself through rest and this does not feel like negative isolation.

I do need to run some errands which will take most of the day it involves a lot of walking and visiting different locations. Feels good.

Old 01-05-2020, 01:45 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Thanks so much for sharing, I am rooting for you and happy that today was a bit better.

The healing begins the second we stop taking the drink and decide to make this amazing change, you are already feeling the benefits
Old 01-05-2020, 01:52 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

congrats on day 3 railtek
given any thought to the nuts and bolts of staying sober yet?

D
Old 01-05-2020, 02:02 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Come join the January group railtek, quite a few of us in the same boat 👍
Old 01-05-2020, 02:06 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
congrats on day 3 railtek
given any thought to the nuts and bolts of staying sober yet?

D
My biggest downfall was worrying about lifetime of sobriety, which became a automatic defeat especially early on.

If iam not drinking today then that's good enough for me .. atm.

Nonetheless I nearly got caught yesterday. I walked past the store and instinctively thought "why not ..just one more night"

But then started automatically playing the process of walking in picking out what I wanted (even if I didn't want it) then I would obviously drink it by 1 a.m. I ofcourse wouldn't have enough and I would call and get 24-hour delivery. Then I thought about the hangover and the whole day of mental chaos and the feeling of a wasted life plus the battle to find the sober wave again.

Going through that process made me realize I'm just tired of it,I I've wasted so much of my 20's being hungover. I really did not want to drink as much as I thought...I mean I don't even go out and party I just drink alone at home every day.

Funny enough....I came home and realized I was out off coffee so I had to go there no matter what, by this moment the alcohol aisle was already closed and I had no regrets.
Old 01-05-2020, 04:15 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Railtek View Post
3rd (today) - I'm still alone in my apartment but I actually started smiling today, naturaly. I think I'm just enjoying healing myself through rest and this does not feel like negative isolation.

Day 19 here so I can relate to your start to sobriety. I’m the type who needs instant gratification. Doesn’t work with sobriety. I wanted to rid everything I have done to my body and brain in the last 20 years in two days. Doesn’t happen like that.

Once I got through the physical withdrawals, I thought I had so much energy that needed to get out. I was exercising 4 hours a day for the first 10 days on top of currently being a stay at home dad to a 7 and 4 year old. I posted a couple days ago about being tired all the time. I was simply pushing my body and mind way too hard.

My point is don’t think of it as negative isolation (I know you said you don’t but just wanted to reaffirm). Everyone needs “me” time. Us in early sobriety way more than others. Only focus you should have right now is not drinking and if that’s being lazy in your bed turning your brain off to Netflix, do it!

Best of luck Rail. Keep posting updates!
Old 01-05-2020, 05:51 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Life Goes On

Originally Posted by Railtek View Post
My biggest downfall was worrying about lifetime of sobriety, which became a automatic defeat especially early on.

If iam not drinking today then that's good enough for me .. atm.
This was always good enough for me... atm. Until it wasn't. Every time.

The thing I found out over waaaay too many failed attempts (and I was trying hard these last go-rounds, I promise you) is that starting any sentence regarding my sobriety with an "if" contingency is a bad idea. I have to take active steps to make sure I don't drink. And stick with them, no matter what. I'm not gonna tell you what you need to do, but I am here to say for certain that you'd best change that passive contingency statement to an active and specific plan. And stick with it, whether you "feel like it" or not.

Sorry I know I sound like a hard-liner, and that's not really my style.
But there's nothing more black and white than this, I swear.

I'm so glad you're here and that you're experiencing the joy of just 3 days sober. Imagine what it must feel like at 3 years! I can't wait.

O
Old 01-05-2020, 06:04 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Just keep taking it day by day and next thing you know youll be at 365 days. Keep it up.