Notices

17 days in and tired all the time

Old 01-03-2020, 10:01 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

17 days in and tired all the time

The “pink cloud” is a very real thing. Don’t get me wrong, I have not had any cravings for a drink. Thankfully, that’s not the issue. I have gotten my health back in shape, I exercise everyday, drink a gallon of water everyday, and eating healthy and loving every minute of it.

I am just tired all the time. Whenever I get any time by myself, I just want to lie down and close my eyes for a bit. Obviously my brain and body are going through a major transformation right now. Is this normal for early sobriety? Or do I just chalk it up to being a 35 year old dad with two kids?
Old 01-03-2020, 10:21 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Sobriety is Traditional

Originally Posted by VinnyMcM View Post
Or do I just chalk it up to being a 35 year old dad with two kids?
Do you have a job too?

Go ahead and enjoy the shut eye time.
Old 01-03-2020, 10:23 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think it could still be your body working on itself that is making you tired. Have you talked to a doctor before or since you stopped drinking? If not, you might think about doing that.
Old 01-03-2020, 10:27 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Do your best

It's completely normal took my body around a month just sorting itself out night sweats were tough going for a while, lethargic, dehydrated all that it's part & parcel but I 100% with Anna in booking an Dr apt in the near future just to make sure health-wise along the way
Old 01-03-2020, 10:28 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Your body is repairing itself. Sleep all you can
Old 01-03-2020, 10:31 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Yes it's completely normal and you are doing the best thing possible, getting exercise, drinking lots of water.

It took 6 months for me.

I was 42 and a father of 4.
Old 01-03-2020, 11:28 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

PAWS (post acute withdrawal symptoms) is something worth reading up on I believe. I used to think that I only had to make it thru the hangover and I was home free and back to normal but since I learned about PAWS, it explains a lot of the ups and downs I had even weeks after my last drink. We all react differently and on varying timelines when it comes to healing but there are some patterns that exist among many people and I believe paws is one of them.
Old 01-03-2020, 01:16 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Coldfusion View Post
Do you have a job too?

Go ahead and enjoy the shut eye time.
I do have a job but I took some time off to get myself right again. I’m playing the role of stay at home dad which is far more energy draining than my actual job.
Old 01-03-2020, 01:18 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I have an appointment on the 12th for another blood test and I’ll bring this up if it persists. Thanks everyone!
Old 01-03-2020, 01:24 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

I was extremely fatigued for the first month. I tended to forget I'd drunk hard - really hard - for a long time.

It takes a little time for mind and body to come back from that - but it does

D
Old 01-03-2020, 02:07 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ShiftHappens View Post
Your body is repairing itself. Sleep all you can
This ^^^^^^^

Well done on your achievement, Vinny! :-) If you are exercising, that is using up energy as well and your body is drawing on your energy reserves to fix things up that have been neglected over the time you were drinking. Give yourself time to heal physically.
Old 01-03-2020, 02:47 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

It's crazy early on in your sober life - as a dad and a sober man in his early 40s, tiredness is definitely part of those early weeks, if not months.

Congrats on 17 days, that's good stuff. You are doing the right thing for you and your children. Things will just keep getting better.
Old 01-03-2020, 03:01 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Glad it is going well. 17 days is awesome and I am glad you are taking note of the "count" so early - and yes, I was SO tired. I was very sick and everyone doesn't have the crushing waves that I did, but most of us can tell you that our bodies and brains absolutely had to adjust and heal.

Sounds like you are doing some good-for-you stuff like water and food and all that- and sleep is something that pretty much every adult I know struggles with, but yeah, the getting sober part makes it harder and also more important. I was a big napper and fit it in around everything, still do actually.

Keep going, and stay sober no matter what so it will keep becoming a better life for you.
Old 01-03-2020, 05:25 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Yeah Vinny, I think that is expected. I am living in Day 44 here and I still find myself needing to rest very often. I think the pounding we did to ourselves takes time to heal up from. Around Day 30 I started to notice more energy but still have moments here and there of needing to close my eyes. And now I just do that and don't worry about it.
Old 01-03-2020, 05:47 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I was definitely tired that first month as well Vinny. I have found getting out for a walk every day helps with my energy, even when I’m tired it seems to help.

You’re more than halfway to a month of sobriety, that is awesome Vinny! Your kids are lucky to have you.❤️
Old 01-03-2020, 05:48 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Vinny, I was exhausted for the first couple of months. We've beaten ourselves up rather badly and need time to heal & adjust to our new normal. You're doing great - so proud of you.
Old 01-03-2020, 09:00 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by VinnyMcM View Post
I’m playing the role of stay at home dad which is far more energy draining than my actual job.
No wonder you are tired!
Old 01-04-2020, 05:07 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Amen to the PAWS thing clicking with me when Dee shared this awesome piece, that I always throw out to people getting started:

https://digital-dharma.net/post-acut...r-immediately/

The way I took all this was indeed reassuring and hugely helpful in explaining what I was experiencing- AND gave me ideas about *reasonable* future stabilization and healing. Like I said above, I was VERY sick when I quit and early on put myself into the "2 yr newcomer" category, and actually, the 5 yr group for getting early sobriety behind me. So as our friend LG said, you are indeed crazy early here.

Expectations of quick healing OFTEN lead to drinking again. Not seeing "it get better" "fast enough" is one of the Achilles heel things about alcoholism. We used to get (temporary) instant gratification from alcohol, don't get it now, want it and don't know what to do besides....start drinking again.

That's the biggest thing to "avoid" in early sobriety. The rest is gravy. And it does arrive at the table bit by bit
Old 01-04-2020, 01:34 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Hey, Vinny! Brilliant job on 17 days. It took me quite a while to feel physically well, as I'd been abusing my body for years--we humans are resilient and our bodies have an amazing capacity for recovery, but it doesn't happen overnight. For me, after 6 months my peripheral neuropathy in hands and feet had subsided, the terrible rosacea on my face had cleared without scarring, and I was on the way to being in a good place mentally. So, be gentle and patient with yourself and don't drink and all will get much better. I wish you a lovely sober new year.
Old 01-04-2020, 04:14 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

I'd say its very normal for the first 30 to even 60 days. I remember evenings where I couldn't even keep my eyes open while watching tv, the most intense urge to sleep it felt like I had taken a sleep aid.

Another issue is many people (includes myself) spent decades drinking/drunk and then sober up to an older body and doesn't know for certain what normal sleepiness and body aches are, my guess is the extreme feeling of being tired will pass for you to.

Congratulations on the 17 days !