Notices

Day 20

Old 01-02-2020, 08:50 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day 20

I'm thankful to have reached day 20 but for those 20 days I had holidays from work. Now the holidays are over. I dread returning to work. I always had a bottle of wine to look forward to after work. My housemate will be drinking wine which won't help. I feel a bit down about the situation. It's a miracle I got to day 20 but the hard part is just beginning.
​​​​​
​​
Old 01-02-2020, 09:04 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Mary, I’m in the same boat (kind of). I took a medical leave from work to deal with this drastic life change. Not sure if you like your job but I despise mine. And I too would look forward to that drink after work.

But if we made it through the holidays without drinking, will that after work drink be that hard to ignore? I had drinking all around me for several days straight and never wanted to pick up. It’s all in our minds of our past patterns. Just think about days 1 through 20 sober when you get off work and how great they were. At least that’s my plan. I’m 16 days in so we are on a similar timeline.
Old 01-02-2020, 09:32 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Congrats on day 20 Mary. you can continue to be sober. Can you do new activities in the evening or change your routine after work? something different making new habits usually helps
Old 01-02-2020, 09:48 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

You booze You lose. No gain from it whatsoever. You stop you gain ten fold. ✌ good job on 20
Old 01-02-2020, 09:52 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thanks Vinny. Sorry your in the same situation with your job. It was a good idea to take medical leave. I used to like my job but in the last year things changed. I believe I was treated wrongly and unfairly but I suppose we all have to deal with disappointments in life. Thanks for the encouragement. I hope things at work improve for you too.
​​​​​
Old 01-02-2020, 09:56 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

Mary, I found that changing routines really helped me in the early days. Maybe you could plan something else that you would enjoy at the end of the work day. I don't love the gym routine myself, but I began taking long walks. It wasn't long before I was looking forward to that at the end of the day and it helped me to get past my witching hour.
Old 01-02-2020, 09:56 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Yes RAL, I've activities planned for after work. But I will end up spending some time with my housemate. She drinks all the time. Any time I quit in the past it was her drinking that triggered me.
Old 01-02-2020, 09:59 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Yes SoberRican, I agree. I never want to drink again.
Old 01-02-2020, 10:06 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hi Anna, yes I'm going to try to fill my evenings with activities. I like long walks too. Eventually though I'll have to go home and face my drinking friend.
Old 01-02-2020, 10:32 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

Yes, you will. Do you have your own space where you can go in the house and not be around your drinking friend?
Old 01-02-2020, 11:08 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Not really. It's a small space. And she wants to do her drinking in our shared area.

In the long term I will have to move.
​​​​
​​​
Old 01-02-2020, 01:55 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Congratulations on 20 days Mary! Keep reminding yourself that you don’t want to drink no matter what.

Best at of luck for your return to work. I’ve been off for two weeks over the holidays and am on day 7 of sobriety today and return to work on Monday. I do enjoy my job, I just put enormous pressure on myself to be “perfect” at work. That may have been because I was often very hungover at work and was extra cautious to not stuff up. Perhaps things will be changed for the better for us both now that we are approaching work as our sober selves! :-)
Old 01-02-2020, 02:57 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Thank you Sunny. Yes, I keep reminding myself I don't want to drink. Hope things go well for you on Monday.

​​​​​​
Old 01-02-2020, 03:11 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Congratulations on 20 days
You will be 3 weeks tomorrow. Surely you don't want to throw all of that hard work away?
Can you go for a walk maybe after work? Visit someone? Have a long soak in the bath? Retire to bed early with a book, or read SR on your phone like I do every night. I hope you choose not to drink
Old 01-02-2020, 03:29 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

No I don't want to drink. It wasn't difficult to stay sober for those 20 days. I was surrounded by sober family. But when I'm living in a house filled with alcohol I know there will be temptations. I pray I'm strong enough to resist.
Old 01-02-2020, 03:34 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Good job on reaching 20 days. Now you're getting to a point where it's more of a habbit not to drink then to drink. I think it's actually more work mentally to pick the drink up than not to at this stage.

Take advantage of the sober time. Now its time for a different work day routine. I found it easier to stay sober on work days with much of the day already accounted for.

You can still stay surrounded by us at SR.
Old 01-02-2020, 03:36 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Mary88 View Post
But when I'm living in a house filled with alcohol I know there will be temptations. I pray I'm strong enough to resist.
It will be hard, but not impossible. You can do this. Congratulations on 20 days.
Old 01-02-2020, 03:53 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by RecklessDrunk View Post
Good job on reaching 20 days. Now you're getting to a point where it's more of a habbit not to drink then to drink. I think it's actually more work mentally to pick the drink up than not to at this stage.

Take advantage of the sober time. Now its time for a different work day routine. I found it easier to stay sober on work days with much of the day already accounted for.

You can still stay surrounded by us at SR.
Originally Posted by HeadEast View Post
It will be hard, but not impossible. You can do this. Congratulations on 20 days.
Thank you both for the encouragement. It helps. I feel a bit more hopeful now.
Old 01-05-2020, 11:35 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Support to you Mary. Keep posting, especially when you do not want to.
Old 01-05-2020, 12:12 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by PhoenixJ View Post
Support to you Mary. Keep posting, especially when you do not want to.

Thanks Phoenix. I'm a bit nervous about work this week. It's one of my biggest triggers. I'll do my best to stay calm and not react.