Notices

Class of January 2020

Old 01-14-2020, 03:59 AM
  # 481 (permalink)  

Hi all

Checking in.
Welcome to all the new Januarians. This is a really supportive group. For many of us, this is the really hard part of withdrawal.

In my case, I feel in a battle with my own psychology, saying it is "OK to just moderate" again.
While every dream involves me boozing. I am in a fog throughout the day. My gut is learning to process food without wine or beer. I have put on weight and probably look totally messed up.
BUT..
I am sober. And happier, healing and proud of making it this far. Excited by this 2020 journey.

Welcome new classmates. This is a great group to be sorting yourself out with. We can do this.
Old 01-14-2020, 04:13 AM
  # 482 (permalink)  

Good morning all. Thanks for the support. It really does matter. Just checking in. Wishing everyone a peaceful Tuesday.
Old 01-14-2020, 04:43 AM
  # 483 (permalink)  

Waking to day 11 and back to work today. Overall my mood is MUCH more stable already vs the erratic mood swings I had when not sober. This is probably my greatest motivation: to be mentally stable. Everything else flows from that.

I'm still reading from the AVRT thread (Addictive Voice) and finding it so helpful. So glad I found something new. SR is also new for me. I know it's my AV but I have a pattern of needing some new hook, otherwise I hear "You tried that before and you failed." The last time I got sober I counted backwards for a full year 365, 364, etc because I was tired of day 1s. I did stay sober that whole year plus 7 more months (till relapse Feb 2019). I really want this for the long haul -- to never drink again and to never change my mind.

Stay the course everyone, wherever you are.
Old 01-14-2020, 06:43 AM
  # 484 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Foggyriver View Post
I went to part of an AA meeting tonight. It was very hot and crowded in the room, and I ended up leaving early because I felt like I was suffocating with the heat. I attended the same meeting last week, when I got rear-ended in my car just before I arrived. The meeting just didn’t speak to me. The people who spoke were people with long-term sobriety who obviously had a “schtick.” One person obviously identified as the funny one; another’s was an old-school oldtimer’s; etc. I know AA is a really good organization. Maybe I just need to look for another meeting. I went from thinking that “I need to get a sponsor and do the steps” to “I’ll just stick with soberrecovery.” Sorry to sound so mixed up. Tonight’s messages just weren’t the ones I hoped to hear.

Congratulations to everyone here. You are doing great.

You got rear-ended.
And still went to the meeting....and then you went back.

Yes....please try a different meeting. I am an AA person, and I tried a lot of different meetings where I lived, there were a lot to choose from. I eventually made my home group a local meeting called Saturday Night Live and I ended up being the set-up person for ages.

I like Speaker meetings, but I prefer topic meetings where everyone who wants has a chance to share for a couple of minutes. And definitely no hot rooms....that is so not good. s xx
Old 01-14-2020, 06:48 AM
  # 485 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Wastinglife View Post
I know everyone has their own problems but I am fascinated how some people can just compartmentalize things and worry about things later. I suffer from adult ADHD unfortunately so I don't have the same ability to do this. I can't control what I focus on as well as the average person. Everytime I try to go to sleep, I an bombarded with negative thoughts and have to get up again. Alcohol has always been the only thing to provide relief. At least, until a couple months completely sober
Sending so much love to you, and and to all of you. s

I understand the negative thoughts getting you out of bed.
It is really tough to deal with, and I am sure it is way harder with ADHD. s

Do you journal? And keep a daily diary? I just know that when I write it down, no matter how upsetting something is, I somehow feel calmer. Just a thought love. s xx
Old 01-14-2020, 08:42 AM
  # 486 (permalink)  

Thank you, Venuscat. I will try some different meetings. There is a single-gender meeting at that same location that I may try to attend. Maybe I will feel more comfortable.

Wastinglife, I don’t have ADHD, but I have never been able to compartmentalize. If I am upset, I will stay upset until whatever the issue is has been resolved. Alcohol put me to sleep too, which is one of the reasons I relapsed. I just wish I hadn’t relapsed because now the cravings are back again. Hopefully, all of us with sleep problems will be able to get through to the other side sober.

Hope everyone has a great day.
Old 01-14-2020, 10:21 AM
  # 487 (permalink)  

Oh my. A familiar face. Good to hear from you Willow.

I think you did wonderful 2018 and 2019. I checked in at some point in the middle of the year and saw you had over 1 year. Made me smile. That is an awesome accomplishment. I am glad you are right back at it even after the slips.

Looking for to keeping in touch here going forward.

Wolfie
Old 01-14-2020, 10:39 AM
  # 488 (permalink)  

Hello all,

I have just browsed through the posts so far. While I do not know you all yet, you really helped me get through the end of week 1 and into the start of week 2 today. Don't know if I would have cracked or not, but I wasn't going to find out. Part of my early plan was to return to SR to give/receive support. It is such an important part of the process. Just passed a big test as my wife asked me to go get some milk. What an opportunity to get beer my AV initially chirped. I didn't listen. I would have a month ago, maybe even a week ago. Being here helped me keep me focused on my goal...to stay sober.

I see a lot of folks in the double digits. Congrats, that is such a great accomplishment and tough to do. I see a few that have slipped and come right back. That may be tougher. I know I have not been able to do that. Congrats to you all well. It takes strong determination. I am impressed.

Have a good day and stay strong.

Wolfie
Old 01-14-2020, 12:33 PM
  # 489 (permalink)  

Wolfie....
So much love....and to all of you.
Old 01-14-2020, 02:28 PM
  # 490 (permalink)  

Hello class, just checking in to say a quick hi before retiring for bed.

After a couple of rather flat days I had one of those moments today that made me realise what a difference just 13 days of sobriety has had.

I had a work meeting that takes place every 6 weeks or so. I've always struggled in them to some degree - didn't contribute as much as I should, found it a struggle mentally. And quit frankly found everyone else a bit annoying (because, let's be honest, every little anecdote that got passed around the table was an unnecessary delay to me getting home and getting started on the wine).

Today I was fully engaged, found the whole thing a breeze, and didn't get annoyed in the slightest. Going to put this one in the memory bank to call upon on the not so good days that are a part and parcel of the journey.

Take care everyone
Old 01-14-2020, 02:36 PM
  # 491 (permalink)  

That's fantastic abraxas
Big time.
You will never forget that....I have memories like that and I will hold onto them forever.

And 13 days is wonderful....cheering you all on for your milestones. s xx
Old 01-14-2020, 03:20 PM
  # 492 (permalink)  

I feel kind of silly... dropped a first post on day 1 and then grumpily, shame facedly ran away. I’ve struggled to stop drinking for so long now that I feel embarrassed to seek support.

But yay! It’s Day 7. Every day that passes, I feel a little more myself. I did a kickboxing class today. First time exercising in, lord, I don’t even know how long. So of course I felt like I was dying but now I feel really good!

Hope everyone reading is having a good day/evening.
Old 01-14-2020, 03:42 PM
  # 493 (permalink)  

Well done on a week NTS! That’s really awesome
Just a quick hi before I head off to work. I’ll catch up on everyone’s posts properly later.
Have a good day/night everyone
Old 01-14-2020, 03:45 PM
  # 494 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MrWolfie68 View Post
Oh my. A familiar face. Good to hear from you Willow.

I think you did wonderful 2018 and 2019. I checked in at some point in the middle of the year and saw you had over 1 year. Made me smile. That is an awesome accomplishment. I am glad you are right back at it even after the slips.

Looking for to keeping in touch here going forward.

Wolfie
Thanks Wolfie
Yes I had over a year, but then I got complacent, and started thinking oh just one here and there won’t hurt. Nope. It’s never just one for me. So after some slipping and sliding up and down in the second half of last year, I finally realised I just have to say none. Not one, ever. None. Hopefully it will stick this time....
Old 01-14-2020, 03:49 PM
  # 495 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by NotTooSmart View Post
I feel kind of silly... dropped a first post on day 1 and then grumpily, shame facedly ran away. I’ve struggled to stop drinking for so long now that I feel embarrassed to seek support.

But yay! It’s Day 7. Every day that passes, I feel a little more myself. I did a kickboxing class today. First time exercising in, lord, I don’t even know how long. So of course I felt like I was dying but now I feel really good!

Hope everyone reading is having a good day/evening.
I first posted on SR in November 2012 and then proceeded to keep drinking until Feb 13....I only even found the site again by accident.

But what a wonderful accident that was....I think I wrote a thread about it.

So please don't be embarrassed ~ we are just glad you are here with us. s ❤️
Old 01-14-2020, 04:11 PM
  # 496 (permalink)  

Hi Everyone. Glad to report I am on day 14. I met with a new therapist today, as I feel like I have outgrown my therapist of the past three years. And while it was hard spilling out everything again and feeling all those feels you do on the first visit, I came home and ate supper and worked on work. I didn't stop at the wine store or go out to eat and drown my sorrows in food and wine. I didn't drink, and I think this new therapist may be able to help me learn how to cope with some of this stuff instead of drinking, so that's also a positive.
Hope everyone is having a good day or evening.
Old 01-14-2020, 04:20 PM
  # 497 (permalink)  
Administrator

Originally Posted by time2 View Post
I have been just avoiding life and everybody today, just feel like hiding and running away. I read your post silversky and you said what I feel. Also day 9 and turning double digits tomorrow and so damn tired of repeating this again.
I think most people want to take it easy the first few weeks. Its called recovery for a reason - we've been through some serious stuff.

Only you can tell the difference from recuperation and taking it easy & isolation/avoiding life.

I hope you'll feel like venturing out soon and engaging with people tho - sober life is too good to waste

Foggyriver - while there's nothing wrong with not using AA I'd probably try a few different meetings and home groups before you wrote it off?

DontlookBacchus - you have a number of posts to look back on to put paid to the lie you can moderate.

Look at the posts you made when you were sober., You can have that again

welcome sweet sunshine MrWolfe & citygirl

congrats on your milestones sobermafia jr67 geenie abraxas and Mt W =- apologies if I missed anyone
Old 01-14-2020, 04:22 PM
  # 498 (permalink)  

Hello Dee s

And that's fantastic sobermafia. s xx
Old 01-14-2020, 04:29 PM
  # 499 (permalink)  
Administrator

suze and hi to the many others I've not namechecked

time for a new thread
https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums...-part-2-a.html

D