Notices

Inability to share at AA

Old 12-28-2019, 05:04 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Inability to share at AA

Even when I have something to say, I can't bring myself to speak up at AA. Primarily because I don't want to come off as an ******* for talking about problems aren't even in the realm of the difficulties others are going through. Tonight is a great example:

The open discussion topic is about being around family during the holidays and their open drinking without sympathy to you. I have a small family, 2 of the 4 adults don't really drink, but everyone is supportive of me and won't drink around me. I can't share about anything after every other person just complained about their alcoholic family members getting **** faced at Christmas around them. Or how they were shunned from family festivities because of their past actions or the like.

As I routinely listen to those discuss problems so far beyond mine, I find it difficult to speak up without looking like a jerk. My life seems great in comparison and it puts some things in perspective for me, but at the same time I feel like I'm robbing myself of part of the benefits of a meeting because I'm worried about others feeling even shittier by my "lack of their problems"...

Thoughts? thanks folks
Old 12-28-2019, 05:15 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I'd say get out of open discussion meetings full stop.

IME they do nothing to help with a solution, mood, changing behaviour, changing thinking or recovery from alcoholism in general.

Mostly it's a pity party.

I fell in that trap years ago in AA.

YMMV but try a few literature based meetings focused on recovery and the steps.
Old 12-28-2019, 05:24 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Derringer View Post
I'd say get out of open discussion meetings full stop.

IME they do nothing to help with a solution, mood, changing behaviour, changing thinking or recovery from alcoholism in general.

Mostly it's a pity party.

I fell in that trap years ago in AA.

YMMV but try a few literature based meetings focused on recovery and the steps.
Depends how you look at it I guess. Pity party, could be. Could also look at it like people who need to get something off their chest to someone who understands how they feel. Maybe they can't afford a therapist, their families don't get it and understand? I don't fault them for it, I just don't share their problems.

In general I like this group because it's mostly younger people. Most AA meetings I'm 20+ years than basically everyone (and I'm 39). It's nice to be around people closer to my age that aren't drinking lol.

But I do agree those type of meetings don't do anything for my sobriety other than getting me out of the house and socializing.
Old 12-28-2019, 05:32 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Abgator, its good to try out different options to see what can work for you. Are there reasons you feel that others would get upset if you were to speak about your own experiences in the meetings?
Old 12-28-2019, 05:32 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I get where you are coming from about the offload aspect.

just my experience, but I had to make a call about how I was going to spend my time in AA.... Do I want to be lending a sympathetic ear in a discussion meeting or do I want to be going after the best recovery I can possibly manifest.

When the sobriety tests come and they most assuredly will, can I stand firm on a solid foundation of personal recovery or have I got not much except a head full of other peoples problems ?
Old 12-28-2019, 05:56 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ciowa View Post
Abgator, its good to try out different options to see what can work for you. Are there reasons you feel that others would get upset if you were to speak about your own experiences in the meetings?
Mostly just because my life is pretty f'n great compared to theirs LOL. For me to complain, it appears pretty asinine after they share.
Old 12-28-2019, 06:07 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Derringer View Post
Do I want to be lending a sympathetic ear in a discussion meeting or do I want to be going after the best recovery I can possibly manifest.
Good point, though I don't have many options at certain times. This one is basically the only meeting I can go to and take my kid when I have no one to watch her.
Old 12-28-2019, 06:11 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
AA member

There are the sharers in AA and there are the listeners.

I wouldn’t worry about it one bit,have you got a sponsor to share these things with on a one to one basis?

I was a shy sharer in the beginning of my recovery,it got better over time.

Wishing you well.
Old 12-28-2019, 06:42 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Life Goes On

There is no rule that says you have to be at least as miserable as everyone else in the room to share in AA.

You know, there's this weird "My life is crappier than yours" thing that sometimes gets going in groups, particularly with younger people. Maybe if you shared your good stuff, you might shake things up a bit, break the pattern, and just possibly help someone else to also focus on something positive?

Who picks the topic? Maybe you could suggest gratitude be the topic from time to time?

Just an idea.

In any event, I don't think you should be self-censoring.
Doesn't that chip say "To thine own self be true?"
Of course it does!

O
Old 12-28-2019, 07:06 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Life is good

Hi abgator,

Are you willing to share at meetings? Sometimes it's simply willingness and then allowing it to happen if it's meant to be. No need to overthink it. There's a difference between wanting to say something and being willing. Honest, open and willing. This stuff doesn't come all at once. There's a progression to this process.

You share here and you're going to AA meetings. Beautiful things.

Easy does it.

One day at a time.

More will be revealed.

It took what it took for me to start identifying with other people and to find my voice. Often simply showing up and listening can be "being of service to others".

My 12 step recovery program naturally changes a bit as I grow. Good things with where I was in starting recovery, where I am now and where I'm going.
Old 12-28-2019, 07:27 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Life is good

Whether it's minor, major or makes no sense at all, it's okay to say it. Maybe it'll help to tell yourself this?
Old 12-28-2019, 07:34 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Speak up!!!
Old 12-28-2019, 08:30 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I used to think it was pointless to share but I realize (after a friend encouraged me) that sharing is being vulnerable and it allows people to get to know you. You can just say, "I don't have anything on the topic but I just wanted to check in and say hello"
Old 12-28-2019, 08:52 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

What is it that you are wanting/needing from the meetings or from the other participants? You mentioned that things are going pretty well for you, and yet you attend. What do you need for your own recovery? Can these people and this AA setting help, or, something else?
Old 12-29-2019, 06:44 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

My AA group had a mix of meeting formats:

Discussion meetings
Open topic meetings
Speaker meetings
Step study
Big Book study

Certain meetings are more important to some people, while of lesser importance to others. I found Open Discussion to be the most helpful. My sponsor was a speaker meeting advocate. Study meetings were of interest to me only in that they generated discussion, often of a tangential nature.

But I strongly disagree that your issues are not important. It's not a contest to have the most horrid circumstances. The whole thing is about helping, and I think you will be surprised at the help that is out there.
Old 12-29-2019, 08:15 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Abgator, I think you should try trusting the folks at your meetings. I'd lay a healthy bet that you will not be judged about the "size" of your problems and that you will find nothing but sympathetic ears. Give it a try and trust.
Old 12-29-2019, 12:39 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by JK130 View Post
What is it that you are wanting/needing from the meetings or from the other participants? You mentioned that things are going pretty well for you, and yet you attend. What do you need for your own recovery? Can these people and this AA setting help, or, something else?
Good questions. I'm not entirely sure AA will help me, I just go in hopes I stay motivated to be sober and hopefully make a friend or two that doesn't drink because my entire social life as an adult has been alcohol oriented.

I'm a slightly different case though. I don't struggle with day to day drinking. Staying sober is easy for me until I have a panic attack that I can't control and it goes on for hours. At that point, it's a bullet to the brain or drinking. Unfortunately, once I start, it's a week long binge in insane quantities. If I can control or manage the panic attacks better, I can easily control the drinking.

Only recently has a therapist finally dug deep enough to uncover some PTSD issues (an event where I know my anxiety started) that I've mostly blacked out. Hopefully this resolves itself when I start a PTSD treatment this coming Friday called EMDR. It's been highly successful treating war vets of PTSD, so I'm hopeful it sets me on the right course.

So I guess things like AA and church are my way of trying to better myself, smooth out the daily stresses to hopefully prevent future panic attacks and be more at peace. Although that would be a fools errand without the therapy and the treatment I'm about to begin.
Old 12-29-2019, 01:51 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by DriGuy View Post
My AA group had a mix of meeting formats:

Discussion meetings
Open topic meetings
Speaker meetings
Step study
Big Book study

Certain meetings are more important to some people, while of lesser importance to others. I found Open Discussion to be the most helpful. My sponsor was a speaker meeting advocate. Study meetings were of interest to me only in that they generated discussion, often of a tangential nature.

But I strongly disagree that your issues are not important. It's not a contest to have the most horrid circumstances. The whole thing is about helping, and I think you will be surprised at the help that is out there.
^Ditto!!

I prefer OD. I dislike Women's Only. I only occasionally want to go to a Speaker mtg. And so on.

IMO, it's service to others to both share and not to share. Sometimes, just being another person in the room helps the person who feels the loneliest. Other times, even when it seems like your problems are way first world compared to others, speaking up when something connects with you on the topic is helpful to...you, to someone who just spoke, to another person who might not.

I have to remember that "it's not about me" - ie, I don't really know what others are thinking, even those who always 'seem' to be living in gratitude and talking about it, or those who always have the same (awful) story or.....

Ultimately, abgator- I think it's about the makeup of the meeting and how it's run, not the type of meeting per se. Sometimes I just need a meeting and any kind will do and that's what I am meant to do- other times, I can go to one where I feel most comfortable speaking and have friends.

These are good shares here (!) and I think just keeping in touch with what's going on with you, and a sensitivity to others is a great way to go.
Old 12-29-2019, 02:51 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Life Goes On

abgator, small world. I've just realized that my last relapse, and likely most if not all of those over the past several years, were also ptsd-related. I also intend to start EMDR as soon as possible.

In the meantime, though, I've realized that if anything is troubling me, I need to speak about/write about it. I've done so here, in AA meetings, with my sponsor, and with people who love me IRL. It's kind of amazing to notice how many things provoke anxiety for me. I think I was doing a passable job of suppressing - until I wasn't.

All of which is to say, I think you might have more to talk about in meetings than you're giving yourself permission for. Maybe like me, something sometimes is really bugging you but you don't know why. You can talk about that. Maybe like me, you just figured something out because your therapist helped you unearth that old trauma. You can talk about that.

A guy came to a meeting Christmas night and said, "I really didn't feel like being around people, so that was the first reason I knew I should be here. But when I realized someone else might need me to be here, that sealed the deal." You might not feel like you need to share, but someone else might need to hear what you have to say.

I know I'm kind of repeating myself with that last sentence. Maybe somebody needs to hear it.

O
Old 12-29-2019, 03:15 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

please remember that no one HAS to share at a meeting....ever. it's ok to say "i'd just like to listen today, thank you."

when we share at meetings, we aren't entering into a discussion, nor responding to the last person's share, nor trying to compete for best share. we simply speak from the heart. with the topic as it applies to US, as if no one else had spoken.

i'm kind of a blabber mouth, so i never had a problem is starting a share, i just struggled with how to wrap it up nicely.

we hear the message. we speak our truth. we work the steps.