Notices

Inability to share at AA

Old 12-29-2019, 04:02 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

I would definitely share what I am going through when I am at a meeting.
Think of others in the room that may be in your situation but have not spoke up.
I also come from a supportive family. They would never offer me a drink and have refrained from drinking at holidays/events . It really doesn't matter what they chose to do since I am the alcoholic. I have always been very passive aggressive around the holidays. "see I am so great I did not drink at a celebration" Then run to the nearest bar or liquour store (I can not believe I am mis sp liquor?) anyhow and drink to my hearts content alone! or with strangers. It still can trigger me. I do not need a celebration. I am always tempted. I am going to speak about it to get it out to the "universe" open because it will help me. Also people will know more about my recovery and what challenges I do face. Someone who identifies with me may be apt to speak to me and share their experience of how it relates to mine. Alcoholism is cunning , baffling and insidious. Your alcoholism is LOVING the fact you don't think you have it as bad. It wants you to compare.
Congrats on your sobriety
Old 12-29-2019, 06:30 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by faith823 View Post
I would definitely share what I am going through when I am at a meeting.
Think of others in the room that may be in your situation but have not spoke up.
I also come from a supportive family. They would never offer me a drink and have refrained from drinking at holidays/events . It really doesn't matter what they chose to do since I am the alcoholic. I have always been very passive aggressive around the holidays. "see I am so great I did not drink at a celebration" Then run to the nearest bar or liquour store (I can not believe I am mis sp liquor?) anyhow and drink to my hearts content alone! or with strangers. It still can trigger me. I do not need a celebration. I am always tempted. I am going to speak about it to get it out to the "universe" open because it will help me. Also people will know more about my recovery and what challenges I do face. Someone who identifies with me may be apt to speak to me and share their experience of how it relates to mine. Alcoholism is cunning , baffling and insidious. Your alcoholism is LOVING the fact you don't think you have it as bad. It wants you to compare.
Congrats on your sobriety
Well stated. Although my sobriety comes and goes in 2 or 3 month spurts.

I do have it lucky in that I'm not tempted on a daily basis. If I was, I'm not sure I'd ever stay sober for any length of time. But I'm heavily relying on the EMDR therapy to resolve my panic attacks and release me from what is basically my only major trigger. I long misinterpreted my triggers. Thank God, the Universe, or the flying spaghetti monster for a great therapist.
Old 12-29-2019, 06:39 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by abgator View Post
the flying spaghetti monster
That works for me!!
Old 12-29-2019, 06:41 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by HeadEast View Post
That works for me!!
It's been my go to for years since I'm agnostic. I'm always surprised just how many people appreciate it LOL
Old 12-29-2019, 07:04 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

I have the same problem. My life feels like a dream compared to some of the stories I've heard there. At first I felt like mine would be a "let down" but realized it's not a competition for the most effed up life. Initially I shared with individuals after the meeting. Then I volunteered to read a few times, got more comfortable, then finally shared openly in a smaller meeting. After that I shared when I had something on my mind (my sister in law being an unsupportive a hole). Also one poster said to avoid open discussion meetings but I think that's a mistake. I've been to some really good ones where old timers have shared really good tips for sobriety and how they got through certain situations. It's not always just a big "off my chest" fest.
Old 12-29-2019, 07:19 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by cantsleep123 View Post
I have the same problem. My life feels like a dream compared to some of the stories I've heard there. At first I felt like mine would be a "let down" but realized it's not a competition for the most effed up life. Initially I shared with individuals after the meeting. Then I volunteered to read a few times, got more comfortable, then finally shared openly in a smaller meeting. After that I shared when I had something on my mind (my sister in law being an unsupportive a hole). Also one poster said to avoid open discussion meetings but I think that's a mistake. I've been to some really good ones where old timers have shared really good tips for sobriety and how they got through certain situations. It's not always just a big "off my chest" fest.
Yeah, as a concept, I like open discussion meetings because I think the Big Book is antiquated and kind of a joke. But even though you're much newer to it, I'm still in the "talk after the meeting" phase with folks. Or even before the meeting. An old timer....sorta, being he was in his 50s at a group where most are 20s and I'm in the middle, shared some great stories after the young ones were done. Of course, he has zero family, so it didn't directly correlate to the youngsters having their family **** faced around them at Christmas LOL, but his point was still relevant. Not that I can translate all that here, but to your point, that is where open discussion comes in handy.
Old 12-29-2019, 07:29 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

the book may be antiquated, but does contain some useful suggestions
meetings are supposed to be where we share the solution, as offered in the book, and share about how we implement that solution into our lives. open discussion meetings too often end up as a problems-dumping-ground, with no solution in sight.
so i would say that yes of course you can share, but be mindful of the purpose of the meeting. share what you have to offer that helps the alcoholic who still suffers.
Old 12-30-2019, 03:38 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  
~sb

Meetings aren't supposed to be dumping grounds for "problems" (in my opinion, if there is a problem, there is a step to work on it and if you aren't sharing about that, then you are blowing up your own ego (complaining about things does this)......

"I'm not entirely sure AA will help me"
AA steps are available to all, find someone to guide you through those steps as they are the program of AA recovery (meetings are a place to find a sponsor to guide you through the steps).

I got sober to live a sober life, not to sit and complain about life, so I seek out big book meetings or other meetings that stick with the solution. Simple.