Notices

How long does it take to get used to being around the booze

Old 12-28-2019, 07:57 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

I never stayed away, I unfortunately couldn't. We all have our own realities and the choices I made, were to continue life, sans alcohol. There was some white knuckling, some just grit my teeth and bear it, but it was what *I* felt I had to do. Sometimes I envy those who were able to make recovery a top priority, not be around alcohol, take time off to heal. However envy and hindsight really do no good. It was what it was, I made my choices and I live with them.
So while I am around booze still, just over 2 years, I'm not really. I am at the parties, but at the sober tables or in the sober corners. I sometimes get annoyed when it is in my barn or at my events, but I can only control myself.
I don't drink, I can never drink again, that is my reality and my choice to make.
Old 12-28-2019, 08:44 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Today, we had brunch with my sister and brother-in-law, who leave town today after visiting for Christmas. We love this particular place for breakfast/brunch and both my husband and I routinely order mimosas. He ordered one and I did not. It was okay-didn't bother me at all. My decision is a made and the line in the sand is clear.

I know many people have a very different experience. If others are ordering, it is easier for them to go along and order, too. We social psychologists call it "consensual validation" (other people validate our behavior by doing the same thing). It's my fear concerning a week on a cruise ship next Thanksgiving--a week is way different than one brunch. So as it gets closer I will evaluate whether or not I can go.

Just one woman's perspective.
Old 12-28-2019, 04:44 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by VinnyMcM View Post
I can relate to this. There is no book to tell you when you are ready. Everyone is different. I’m only 11 days in and being around alcohol just doesn’t bother or trigger me. I know that’s controversial but that’s just how my brain is functioning. I think the main reason I feel like that is due to my ER trip, I now have a voice in my head that says “if you have another drink, you will die.”

As for being around large parties, I avoid them just for the fact I despise small talk. Always have. Even when I was drinking.
That's super easy in the beginning of sobriety. The motivation and having it fresh in your memory. I don't think it even gets hard until a month sober, once you've gotten into a comfort zone and think you're immune. The memory of ER and how terrible you felt having faded.

There is absolutely no right answer to the original question. To even presume to answer based on personal experience is kinda pointless. It could be a week to never.