Notices

I have had enough

Old 12-28-2019, 11:44 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Sick n tired

I have had enough

I have been sipping and sliding last few weeks and I have had enough. Did xmas day sober but then had another binge last night drank a couple of bottles. So fed up new decade I’m going to do the work to move forwards. Feel fed up with my situation need to change my life and get things done. I feel as if just in limbo not progressing career wise financially wise and socially. Don’t blame this but it is sometimes the reason I drink because I feel unfulfilled and not living my best life. So here goes I’m going to start new year as I mean to go on why why why do I keep picking up again just feel so tired
Old 12-28-2019, 11:51 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

I got to that point too Eve ( sick and tired of being sick and tired ). You mention that you need to "change your life and get things done". I would agree- talking about getting sober doesn't make you sober. Neither does doing the same things we've always done.

Do you have any specific ideas about what you need to change? Have you ever considered a structured recovery plan or perhaps counseling? Maybe even rehab? Those would be significant changes to your life. Or how about making a plan of your own to spend time here on SR every single day? One of the big changes I made to my life when I quit was to schedule out my whole day. If you do that, you leave a lot less room for idle time - which is exactly what your addiction wants. Secondly, you can set aside time each day to work specifically on your recovery. Whether that's going to a meeting, reading a book on recovery, going to an outpatient session, or whatever.

The best news is you can start today, right now if you want. You ask why you keep picking up again - my guess is that it's because you are an alcoholic like me. Having a plan in place to do things other than drinking is a great start.
Old 12-28-2019, 12:01 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I can certainly relate Eve. I have lost a whole decade. 2010-2019 has been a complete wash. I accomplished absolutely nothing. Lost jobs, lost relationships, ungodly amounts of money spent. I can't even remember entire years. Not that I was always blackout drunk but rather it was all the same cycle of drink, sober up, relapse, sober up etc. It's all a blur.

2020's are gonna be our decade where we take over the world, right????
Old 12-28-2019, 12:13 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

You never have to drink again or get on that
roller coaster ride of insanity that goes with
addiction.

There are many here in SR who continue to live
a sucessful sober life by incorporating some sort
of recovery program learned and applied using it
a a guideline for living and moving forward.

There is no reason to ever have to return to
our addiction if we remain responsible for our
own recovery life. If we stay connected to all
those helpful lifelines offered and available to
us.

Knowing that you or us never have to be alone
or have to figure out anything by ourselves again
is comforting.

Soooo, Eve, stay strong, stay positive, stay responsible,
stay connected to SR, stay sober and continue to learn
how to build a strong, solid recovery foundation to live
your life upon for yrs to come to achieve many of lifes
rewarding gifts.
Old 12-28-2019, 12:16 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

The key to staying sober is that you have to want to be sober more than you want to drink.
Old 12-28-2019, 12:28 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Eve - I felt disgusted, just as you do - and it led to me being sober for nearly 12 yrs. I was tired of trying to keep my head above water, lying to people to cover up mistakes, always being exhausted & late for everything. The struggle to appear sober and normal was stressful - and finally, it became impossible. It felt so good to finally get free of it & rebuild my life. We know you can do it!
Old 12-28-2019, 12:39 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

The thing with alcohol is - before you drink, you think you're in for a treat or a good time all day / night. In reality, you get maybe an hour of "fun," then the side effects of alcohol intoxication become noticeable. Then you pass out. Then you come to and your body has been in fight or flight response the whole time, so you feel like hell. Then the symptoms of hangover / alcohol withdrawal start to set in.

What you thought was going to be a day / night of fun turned into an hour of fun and 24-48 hours of misery.

Alcohol is an insidious drug - so much so that society actively romanticizes it. You're not missing anything of value by skipping that first drink.
Old 12-28-2019, 12:50 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Good luck eve!

ScottFromWI's point about scheduling your whole day is really important. Until I did that I kept relapsing after a few days or a week. If you are an evening drinker then getting up a lot earlier than usual in the morning is a great way to shorten the evening cravings window, you can just sleep through some of it.
Old 12-28-2019, 01:16 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Sick n tired

Thanks all I have been trying for years do ok then fall off again bla bla bla. Feeling down tonight as I do every time so I will get myself together tomorrow and make some plans changes again.want to bring in ew year sober. I need to get honest from today
Old 12-28-2019, 04:46 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Eve

Try something different this time. Whatever you've been doing doesn't seem to be enough to stop you from drinking again.

there's lots of approaches to try, or add - AA or some other meeting based group...non meeting based approaches like Rational Recovery, seeing a doctor or counsellor for help, rehab (outpatient or inpatient)

I believe you've had enough - you've said so often.,

But you need to change your choices - you need more options when you want to drink - more choices can only be a good thing?

D