Notices

Newcomer, unsure what to do

Old 12-07-2019, 05:20 AM
  # 41 (permalink)  

Regarding insomnia, I don't know if it will help, but self hypnosis videos, I fall asleep. I have done one on one hypnotherapy and it is nowhere near as good, but it isn't bad.
I could not sleep last night, so I listened to a quit smoking one, I quit smoking a year ago.
I am surprised no one has suggested AA to you. Many people find it a good support, especially at first, you can call the local chapter and they could help you get a ride. Help with the mental resolve.
Old 12-07-2019, 07:41 AM
  # 42 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MyLittleHorsie View Post
Regarding insomnia, I don't know if it will help, but self hypnosis videos, I fall asleep. I have done one on one hypnotherapy and it is nowhere near as good, but it isn't bad.
I could not sleep last night, so I listened to a quit smoking one, I quit smoking a year ago.
I am surprised no one has suggested AA to you. Many people find it a good support, especially at first, you can call the local chapter and they could help you get a ride. Help with the mental resolve.
Yeah I've been looking into AA but I'm atheistic. I've also looked into SMART. I'm getting rid of all my weed paraphernalia and supply this weekend. I don't need it sitting around tempting me. I've had GI issues today which hasnt been very pleasant but I imagine others have had it way worse. I'm really lucky that I'm seeking help at the first signs of physical dependence and don't ever want to go down this road again. I've accepted that I can't drink normally and it's best that I never have that "first drink" ever again. What a mind f***.
Old 12-08-2019, 05:50 AM
  # 43 (permalink)  

Had my 2 drinks last night. I'll have one tonight then go to my doc for meds tomorrow. I don't feel too bad but just worry that when it's completely gone I will so the meds should help. I can't wait to post that Day 1 thread. We've already made plans to avoid events with alcohol for now and my family will just have to understand. Luckily drinking at the family Christmas party isn't allowed! New Year's will be spent enjoying a nice expensive steak at home and maybe some board games. With all the fireworks going to bed early will be an issue bit that's ok.
Old 12-08-2019, 06:00 AM
  # 44 (permalink)  

Good plan.

Realistically, the meds are only gonna be for a few days, if you get them. I would think that if all your vitals are normal-ish that you may only get a couple/three days worth. The real Work of sobriety is 100% a natural process.

I am very happy to be med-free. I never took anything, and my body is now functioning as designed. Is it always easy? Nope. Do I have to sometimes bite my tongue or sit on my hands to keep from doing dumb things to deal with life? Yep. Would I love to take a pill for that? Sometimes it does cross my mind.

It's tough in the beginning, cantsleep. I think as addicted people we are self-programmed to "take something"[drink] in order to change how we are feeling at any given time. It's a bit like a very long freefall to do it all without that parachute of substances.

Well done on getting down to two drinks last night. Here's a great tool for the anxiety, or to quiet the mind:

Box Breathing
Old 12-08-2019, 06:15 AM
  # 45 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by biminiblue View Post
Good plan.

Realistically, the meds are only gonna be for a few days, if you get them. I would think that if all your vitals are normal-ish that you may only get a couple/three days worth. The real Work of sobriety is 100% a natural process.

I am very happy to be med-free. I never took anything, and my body is now functioning as designed. Is it always easy? Nope. Do I have to sometimes bite my tongue or sit on my hands to keep from doing dumb things to deal with life? Yep. Would I love to take a pill for that? Sometimes it does cross my mind.

It's tough in the beginning, cantsleep. I think as addicted people we are self-programmed to "take something"[drink] in order to change how we are feeling at any given time. It's a bit like a very long freefall to do it all without that parachute of substances.

Well done on getting down to two drinks last night. Here's a great tool for the anxiety, or to quiet the mind:

Box Breathing
Ill be fine with whatever my doctor recommends. If she thinks I won't need meds then so be it. At least if I'm not drugged up all day I won't have to miss any work. I think I'll be attending a SMART meeting on Wednesday. I looked up some info last night and it seems like a good fit for me. Maybe I'll also check out an AA meeting even though I'm not really "spiritual". Who knows? Maybe I'll find God again.

Thank you for the Box Breathing link, I will definitely give it a try! Also thank you in general for being so helpful in this thread. I can tell I'm going to lean on you guys/gals a lot in this journey. I've already told several family members about my decision and so far they've all been supportive. I hope that if I'm successful it can inspire a few of my family members to realize they have problems as well and that they can change too.
Old 12-08-2019, 06:41 AM
  # 46 (permalink)  

It sounds like you are ready for this. The anxiety and insomnia should get better with a little bit of time. Have you shared those concerns with your doctor as well?
Old 12-08-2019, 06:57 AM
  # 47 (permalink)  
True strength lies within

Originally Posted by cantsleep123 View Post
Hey guys, was referred here by another member.

I've had terrible insomnia (i.e. completely sleepless nights) since an anxiety attack out of nowhere in May. Before this I drank (sometimes heavily at parties) semi-regularly but no more than a couple of days per week. Then the insomnia hit and I tried to fix it myself for a while which just caused the drinking to go up (about 6 5oz glasses of red win) a few times per week. I finally went to my doc and she gave me Lunesta which absolutely sucked so I drank more often. I borrowed benzos but never took them often enough to get dependent. I got a prescription for xanax but only 30 so I stretched them out over a couple of months. A couple of times I would drink to the point of blacking out (again, about 6-8 glasses of wine) and then my dumbass blacked out self took a benzo. I ended up peeing my pants a couple of times, then while on a vacation drank lots of beer for 16 days straight. I came home with the intention of stopping drinking and did for a couple of days but since then I've drank every other day (about up to 8 drinks now). In the last week I've drank 5 days straight (up to about 10 drinks now). I woke up every single day after drinking feeling extremely anxious. It lasted all day and continued until I had a couple of glasses of bourbon. I finally had enough and think I should self taper, reducing my intake by 2 drinks per night. I had 6 last night, and didn't sleep all night. Right around 5:30 AM the anxiety started pouring in. I've been going back and forth all day about asking my doc for a medical detox but they close at noon. My plan was to have 4 drinks tonight, then 2, then sober. With my level of drinking/duration do you think this is wise or should I go to urgent care? There is a really good doctor there.

If you read all that and offer advice I'll be extremely grateful. I'm a male that weighs 180lbs if that helps. The drinking has really packed on the pounds.
Hi there I too have suffered terrible insomnia and used drinking to sleep and like you only made it worse. I’m on day 4 now and my sleep is slowly returning , the first day I didn’t , 2 maybe about 2 hours, 3 i slept 5.5 I have a I watch and it tracks the sleep , it does slowly return I was grateful in those first few days to even get 2 hrs . Once you feel better maybe start exercising which really helps with the anxiety . And there are a lot of natural sleep aids out there valerian being one , 5htp is also a natural supplement that helps with anxiety , depression , sleep , mood .
Old 12-08-2019, 07:13 AM
  # 48 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Atlast9999 View Post
It sounds like you are ready for this. The anxiety and insomnia should get better with a little bit of time. Have you shared those concerns with your doctor as well?
Yes my doc is well versed in my insomnia and anxiety. We tried an SSRI but that made it worse so I'm not trying that again. I didn't drink regularly that I can remember but who knows? Maybe I was drinking heavily a couple of times per week. My memory has gotten so bad with the increase in alcohol consumption.
Old 12-08-2019, 07:16 AM
  # 49 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Maribell View Post

Hi there I too have suffered terrible insomnia and used drinking to sleep and like you only made it worse. I’m on day 4 now and my sleep is slowly returning , the first day I didn’t , 2 maybe about 2 hours, 3 i slept 5.5 I have a I watch and it tracks the sleep , it does slowly return I was grateful in those first few days to even get 2 hrs . Once you feel better maybe start exercising which really helps with the anxiety . And there are a lot of natural sleep aids out there valerian being one , 5htp is also a natural supplement that helps with anxiety , depression , sleep , mood .
I need to get one of those watches. Which one do you have. They say insomniacs grossly underestimate the amount of sleep the actually get. Also yes I take valerian, melatonin, l-tryotophan, 5-htp, and I recently started taking GABA since I've reduced my drinking. I think that has really helped with the anxiety in the last two days. Also I've exercises pretty regularly (at least 4 days/week when I wasn't hungover) for a few years now. I enjoy vigorous hour long bike rides but haven't gone since the drinking became daily.
Old 12-08-2019, 07:19 AM
  # 50 (permalink)  

I've had insomnia and it is horrible. I've had those days where I was grateful for 2 hours.
Old 12-08-2019, 07:31 AM
  # 51 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by HeadEast View Post
I've had insomnia and it is horrible. I've had those days where I was grateful for 2 hours.
Same here. The difference between zero and 2 is huge.
Old 12-08-2019, 08:08 AM
  # 52 (permalink)  

Here is what I took for a few months and no longer need it to get to sleep.

Melatonin Dietary Supplement,

I still don't get enough sleep but it's improving.
Old 12-08-2019, 08:10 AM
  # 53 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by C0ntr0ls View Post
Here is what I took for a few months and no longer need it to get to sleep.

Melatonin Dietary Supplement,

I still don't get enough sleep but it's improving.
Thanks for the tip! It's only $10 so I'll try it for sure.
Old 12-08-2019, 08:14 AM
  # 54 (permalink)  

Oh and good lord the GI issues really suck. I won't go into detail but as many of you know they can be quite uncomfortable. Eating very healthy (mostly plant and fruit based with good protein & fat added in) and high fiber should help eventually. My daily walk got a little harrowing towards then end...
Old 12-08-2019, 08:17 AM
  # 55 (permalink)  

I think I'm the opposite. Some days is like passing a sideways lincoln log.

Nuff said.
Old 12-08-2019, 08:35 AM
  # 56 (permalink)  

OK my wife and I are officially attending our first SMART meeting this Wednesday evening. It can only help.
Old 12-08-2019, 01:43 PM
  # 57 (permalink)  

All weed is officially out of my house. Glad to get that done so the temptations are empty and unable to be easily fulfilled.
Old 12-08-2019, 04:14 PM
  # 58 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MLD51 View Post
Detoxing is unpredictable. Some people can drink as much as you did and quit cold turkey without much issue, others have seizures and die. Sorry to be blunt, but my point is, it's always a good idea to have some sort of medical supervision or at the very least, someone who can be with you for a day or two at your home to make sure you're OK. Sometimes people feel ok for a day or so, and then suddenly start having problems. If I had known how dangerous it was when I quit cold turkey, I would not have done it alone. I didn't know. I was probably lucky. I never even considered tapering, but maybe it would work for you. Best idea is to find out what you can do about a medically-supervised detox.
You can be blunt with him, you can't possibly offend him. He's one of my friends and if you remember my opinions, well.... LOL.
Old 12-08-2019, 04:30 PM
  # 59 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by abgator View Post
You can be blunt with him, you can't possibly offend him. He's one of my friends and if you remember my opinions, well.... LOL.
If only they could see my "artwork"
Old 12-08-2019, 04:40 PM
  # 60 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by cantsleep123 View Post
If only they could see my "artwork"
hahahahaha. The women would love you, the men would envy you, and the admins would ban you.