Notices

Insurance bill- £16000, ,Drink Driving.

Old 09-10-2019, 12:23 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Insurance bill- £16000, ,Drink Driving.

All ,
Finally I have got a third party cliam from my insurance company..They paid third party claim and want to reimburse from me.
They haven't sent me the details of damaged I made .But claiming the total amount like £12000 as damaged and £4000 as hire. I want to dospute with this as I never seen the details of damage.Could someone here share your experience so that I can take the right way.
Please be kind to me,I would be so much grateful for your help.I am really traumatic with finance.Break up ,losing all property to ex-wife and children ,paying child maintenance ,working as a low paid worker ,life has been so much difficult.Anyway I have to sort it out.
Together with you all I am stronger and it helps my recovery.
Cheers
Old 09-10-2019, 01:12 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi Paulsandy

Sorry to read you’re not having a good time lately.

Hopefully you’re on about 120+ days sober so far? If so, well done. You’ll have a clear head and mind to work through this.

For the insurance issue, you’re entitled to ask for a breakdown of the costs. Get as many facts as you can and then make an appointment with Citizens Advice Bureau who will go through your options.

Take it easy
Old 09-10-2019, 01:43 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Hi Paulsandy, can you give a few more details as i'm not sure why your insurance company expects money from you over and above any deductible or excess. I am not familiar with the original incident so i'm probably missing something here.
Old 09-10-2019, 02:31 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
saoutchik

You are entitled to see all bills presented to you and to get a second opinion. Also you cannot be asked to pay more than you can afford so speak to them about putting a payment plan in place - the insurance company will be used to those.
Old 09-10-2019, 02:52 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

I have absolutely no experience to share Paul, but I hope you get it sorted - and congrats on your 120 days plus sober - that's terrific

D
Old 09-10-2019, 03:25 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

I hope you will be able to see the payout details that your insurance company made for you. I don't really understand why your insurance company is asking you for more money. I would have thought they would simply raise your rates?

I hope that you can work things out without too much angst.
Old 09-10-2019, 03:37 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Paulsandy... I have no idea, but I am guessing you have the policy with you and you can read the terms and conditions.
I am no expert and probably you know this by now, but I have done a bit of 'research' (read 'google') and it seems that in the UK, some insurers provide the required cover but keep the right to claim the cost from you if you are under the influence of alcohol. This seems incredible to me and not an insurance.

I read in your profile you are in the UK. Perhaps you can try the financial ombudsman https://www.financial-ombudsman.org.uk/

You can also write to the BBC Radio 4 programme 'The Money Box' and raise the issue as a no real insurance and to ask whether this is compatible with current legislation. Seems to defeat the purpose.
Old 09-10-2019, 04:16 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I would suggest speaking with an attorney. The insurance company has paid out, but they have the right to go after you for compensation if you were doing something illegal, impaired driving for instance.
Similar in Canada, if you get caught stunt driving or distracted driving, impaired, something in your insurance about denying coverage or assigning liability if the loss occurs during the commission of an offence. A late pay on registration or 10km over the speed limit, but keeping up with traffic might be over looked, but impaired certainly would not, nor should it. I pay my left arm in insurance, vehicles, property, life and disability, liability, I haven't had a ticket or accident in 20 years, everyone pays so much, plus insurance companies are primarily owned by banks now, so they are not in the business of losing money.
Get an attorney, they might be able to mitigate the damages. Thing is, by the time your insurance fights with their insurance, fights with repair shops, injury attorneys, the deals have all been made, not much mitigating to do.
Old 09-11-2019, 12:56 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Ocean Lover!

Originally Posted by saoutchik View Post
Hi Paulsandy, can you give a few more details as i'm not sure why your insurance company expects money from you over and above any deductible or excess. I am not familiar with the original incident so i'm probably missing something here.
Hi Sao, all car ins policies have a clause that if you are under the influence of drugs or alcohol you have invalidated your insurance so they have the right to claim back any monies directly from the policy holder for 3rd party claims, the deduct is a moot point at this stage as you have invalidated your policy and your liability is no longer covered. I have been there so had to go through this myself.

I’ll post later Paul as just arriving at work but sorry you’re going through this and keep strong. xx
Old 09-11-2019, 01:06 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Wow so many helping hands are already here !Felt supported and calmer !!
yes I made 125 days and not struggling with craving .May be because of this case.I have a lots of fear losing prestige and relatiinships.I am with more equipped mind to deal this case .

Sauthchik and all I write you all here at once and my situation was like this.
Details of incidents:
Date :- March ,2019 (,England and Wales Law)
Road:- 20 miles per hour speed.
Purpose of driving:- to go to park and stay there as I was alone at home.
Driving distance from home :-1/2 miles from home.
Situation :- Was drunk more than twice the limit.
Incident :- Damaged two vehicle.
Outcome,:- Someone called the police and been to police station.Got drink driving charges and not stopping at scene charge.
Court:- Went to court and plead for guilty and got 18 months driving ban.
I cancelled insurance policy immediately I got involved in incedent and never claimed a claim.Insurance company informed me there were two claims.
Now 4 month later,
I have got a letter from my previous insurance company mentioning the breach of insurance policy (Drive while drinking) because third party reported insurance company accordingly.
Finally I have got a third party cliam from my insurance company..They mentioned they paid third party claim and want to reimburse from me.
They haven't sent me the details of damaged I made .But claiming the total amount like £8000 as damaged and £4000 as hire. Can they be eligible to pay third party without asking me ?.I want to dospute with this because I have never seen the details of damage or they sent any before they paid to third party claim .What if I just ignore the bill ?.Can I do bargaining on bills.How can they tell I was driving while drinking ,?.Do they get court decision ?.Could you please giude me how can I avoid it or make it to the minimum.
Finally, How can I find a loop hole so that I avoid this huge bills?.
How can I minimise the bills in case I cant avoid it ?
Lawers are so expensive but I wont get any legal aids as I am working.However I have much of loans to payback.

Love you all for your guidance.
Any previous experince of yours or yours friend would help me to take a decision.
Old 09-11-2019, 01:09 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MantaLady View Post
Hi Sao, all car ins policies have a clause that if you are under the influence of drugs or alcohol you have invalidated your insurance so they have the right to claim back any monies directly from the policy holder for 3rd party claims, the deduct is a moot point at this stage as you have invalidated your policy and your liability is no longer covered. I have been there so had to go through this myself.

I’ll post later Paul as just arriving at work but sorry you’re going through this and keep strong. xx
Thank you MantaLady hooe to hear your experiences at your earliest opportunity .
with Love
Old 09-11-2019, 01:27 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Anna View Post
I hope you will be able to see the payout details that your insurance company made for you. I don't really understand why your insurance company is asking you for more money. I would have thought they would simply raise your rates?

I hope that you can work things out without too much angst.
Anna Its not a matter of raising a rate I got banned instead .Nothing communicated with insurance company though.Third party informed that i was intoxicated .
Any sharing?
Old 09-11-2019, 02:02 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Hey!

I know this is a far fetch, but I was doing a little reading. While apparently it is possible for someone to claim your insurance, they will need your insurer details. Did you provide someone with your insurance details?

Also, maybe do you think someone might have checked your car and taken the information? This is fraudulent (Again, just internet information). However, might be worth checking it out.

Hope it all works out!
Old 09-11-2019, 02:18 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Hope1989 View Post
Hey!

I know this is a far fetch, but I was doing a little reading. While apparently it is possible for someone to claim your insurance, they will need your insurer details. Did you provide someone with your insurance details?

Also, maybe do you think someone might have checked your car and taken the information? This is fraudulent (Again, just internet information). However, might be worth checking it out.

Hope it all works out!
Hi Hope,
I haven't provided any info however they took my info from incident .You are true how they found my insurance company details without asking me ?.But I did know that they reported this just after 2 days of incedent.Any idea that i can find a loop hole ?
Cheers
Old 09-11-2019, 02:20 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Ocean Lover!

By law you have to tell your insurance if you are convicted of any driving offence wether that be drink driving or points for speeding. Driving convictions affect the premium you pay and to not declare them is fraud which is a criminal offence. They will have checked your licence details with DVLA when paying out the 3rd party which they can legally do and your licence will show you have a DR10 conviction code for drink driving. If you had not told them about it when it happened then this is usually why they try to get the money they paid out on your behalf back from you as the conviction means your liability is no longer covered and you weren’t honest about it.

I told my insurance immediately upon conviction and also sent them a letter stating that if there were any 3rd party claims made in relation to the incident that all correspondence and documentation must be shared with myself and any financial payments also had to be authorised by myself before being made to the 3rd party. I also stated that any payments made to the 3rd party without my written consent could not be claimed back from myself. I was lucky, as I was honest at the beginning they decided to not pursue me for the 8k paid out and the whole matter was dropped.
Old 09-11-2019, 02:37 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

By law you have to tell your insurance if you are convicted of any driving offence wether that be drink driving or points for speeding. Driving convictions affect the premium you pay and to not declare them is fraud which is a criminal offence. They will have checked your licence details with DVLA when paying out the 3rd party which they can legally do and your licence will show you have a DR10 conviction code for drink driving. If you had not told them about it when it happened then this is usually why they try to get the money they paid out on your behalf back from you as the conviction means your liability is no longer covered and you weren’t honest about it.

I told my insurance immediately upon conviction and also sent them a letter stating that if there were any 3rd party claims made in relation to the incident that all correspondence and documentation must be shared with myself and any financial payments also had to be authorised by myself before being made to the 3rd party. I also stated that any payments made to the 3rd party without my written consent could not be claimed back from myself. I was lucky, as I was honest at the beginning they decided to not pursue me for the 8k paid out and the whole matter was dropped.
Hi MantaLady,
In my case they haven',t told me any .Now the letter is showing ,£16000 is due .I think they are looking for payment by electronic transfer.
As per your experience do you think I have to call them and ask for a details and they are obligued to provide every details ?.Is there any good support available online ?.Online forum etc ?
Thank you for being a help.
Regards
​​​​​​
Old 09-11-2019, 03:19 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

20 years ago my car was hit sitting parked. The police dealt with everything, I never saw or talked to who hit me. My insurance paid and then when they found the other driver, they went after his/her insurance.
In Canada, well my province, a police officer pulls you over, they have your insurance info on their computer. All linked to driver license and by extension license plate. You could hit someone, take off and as long as someone gets your plate, your insurance is paying.
No offend PaulSandy, you have the right to see the breakdown, but you can't shirk responsibility.
I have a tiny hole in my bumper from being pulled from a ditch, parts only is $1,500. 16k isn't that much damage.
Old 09-11-2019, 03:45 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I am sorry I don't have any advice but I do hope this nightmare is concluded quickly Paul.
Old 09-11-2019, 03:56 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Ocean Lover!

Originally Posted by MyLittleHorsie View Post
16k isn't that much damage.
It’s 26k CAD he is being asked to pay which is quite a lot of money to us in the U.K.!

I think Paul if you had declared upfront when you were convicted to the insurance company you’d have a better chance of negotiating costs and protecting yourself But you didn’t so fighting it now could mean you have to pay the money and also they can take you to court for fraud on top of this which will cost even more and add to a criminal record.

Look up the number for Citizens Advice and see what they say, I think they can help with a payment plan. I don’t think at this stage you can get out of paying this money but you can get help with how and when you pay. x
Old 09-11-2019, 04:45 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

It’s 26k CAD he is being asked to pay which is quite a lot of money to us in the U.K.!

I think Paul if you had declared upfront when you were convicted to the insurance company you’d have a better chance of negotiating costs and protecting yourself But you didn’t so fighting it now could mean you have to pay the money and also they can take you to court for fraud on top of this which will cost even more and add to a criminal record.

Look up the number for Citizens Advice and see what they say, I think they can help with a payment plan. I don’t think at this stage you can get out of paying this money but you can get help with how and when you pay. x
Thank you Manta for your concern and advice .Talk you later and have a good time.