Notices

Insurance bill- £16000, ,Drink Driving.

Old 09-11-2019, 04:58 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MantaLady View Post
It’s 26k CAD he is being asked to pay which is quite a lot of money to us in the U.K.!
Don't do that.

I said it was not a lot of damage. Vehicles are expensive to repair. What seems small is misleading. The vehicle I referenced above, the battery case cracked, $2,500 just because it was a brand new car and new model. I blew a fuel line 3 years ago, $1,800 for the lines, General Motors thought a lot of their lines.

I'm wordy enough, I don't need others putting them in my mouth.
Old 09-11-2019, 05:23 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Ocean Lover!

Are you with Admiral Insurance?
Old 09-11-2019, 07:50 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Ocean Lover!

Originally Posted by MyLittleHorsie View Post
Don't do that.

I'm wordy enough, I don't need others putting them in my mouth.
You say 16k isn’t a lot of damage, I say it is a lot of damage. The point is the cost is a lot for the OP. You have a problem with my posts or responses PM me
Old 09-11-2019, 07:55 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MyLittleHorsie View Post
20 years ago my car was hit sitting parked. The police dealt with everything, I never saw or talked to who hit me. My insurance paid and then when they found the other driver, they went after his/her insurance.
In Canada, well my province, a police officer pulls you over, they have your insurance info on their computer. All linked to driver license and by extension license plate. You could hit someone, take off and as long as someone gets your plate, your insurance is paying.
No offend PaulSandy, you have the right to see the breakdown, but you can't shirk responsibility.
I have a tiny hole in my bumper from being pulled from a ditch, parts only is $1,500. 16k isn't that much damage.
I haven't got an opportunity to see the damage as i drove away to home which was 300 meter away.I went to police that day and never got an opportunty to see the damage .Now i got a bill.Are you sure I have the right to see damage ?.If so that is the loop hole to deny the payment.Other folks also please share your knowledge here .
cheers guys
Old 09-11-2019, 07:56 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Are you with Admiral Insurance?
its Eldon insurance Manta !
Old 09-11-2019, 07:59 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

You say 16k isn’t a lot of damage, I say it is a lot of damage. The point is the cost is a lot for the OP. You have a problem with my posts or responses PM me
I an sorry my post is creating a misunderstanding!!..hope all is well now !!
Old 09-11-2019, 08:12 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Paulsandy View Post
I an sorry my post is creating a misunderstanding!!..hope all is well now !!

Nah, no worries here.

You are in a rough spot. You probably need professional help to deal with this.

Those fuel lines I referenced, we had fabricated for 1/3 of the price. Autos are stupid pricey, it might seem like minimal damage, but depending on the body shop, it gets crazy.

I would see if you can get a 1/2 hour free consult with an insurance attorney. They will know.
Old 09-11-2019, 08:28 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

In the U.K., we have Citizens Advice Bureaus which offer free advice. They can be good. It’s worth a look. Some solicitors may offer a free hour chat as discussed above.

paulsandy, this will be zero consolation, but at least no one was injured or worse. These things happen, and because no one was injured, this nasty situation will end soon.

Not the same at all, but I owe £10000 in tax. I did ask CAB for advice and they were some help. I ended up negotiating a payment plan. I suspect, once you’ve sorted the amounts (if any), this will be your option.
Old 09-11-2019, 08:53 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  
Administrator

Please remember to put someone on Ignore if their posts upset you. This is really important.
Old 09-11-2019, 01:28 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

All.
What if I just ignore this letter and do not respond.May be I move to a new place.They might drop the idea of recovering the cost.In worst case they will find me in new place or send it to debt recovery.I still have the opportunity to negotiate the bill.
In most cases they do not follow .I think the amount is not too big for them though it is huge for me.
Any previous knowledge ?,
Is it too risky ? or worth trying ?

It took my so many things from me my car,legal cost,court fine,community service work,criminal record,travel.visa issue,relationship etc just for A silly reason I wanted to go to A park from home .It didn't happen if I was stayed at home.Is this taking away so many things from me or giving me my life back ? what do you think of ?
Thanks for sharing..
Old 09-11-2019, 02:23 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

The only similar experience I have is a very small claim a couple of years ago when I scraped another car. No harm done. I swapped details with the other driver, and later on, the accident was declared my fault. No big deal, and as it didn’t really affect my premium, I forgot about it.

This year, I planned to go with another insurance company as their premium was cheaper. However, they later raised my premium when they found out about my accident and claim two years ago.

Your details will be on some central insurance network. I think you know that “hiding” or ignoring any communication isn’t a good idea.

It’s potentially a lot of money, but it’s not the end of the world. Get expert advice. The cost can be spread or maybe even partly written off.

Old 09-11-2019, 02:30 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  
Administrator

The best advice I think anyone will give you is not to run from this or ignore this.

Ask for details of the bill...consult citizens advice bureau or a free legal clinic, or both - but don't pretend this doesn't exist Paul.

That will only make things worse for you.

A lot of us have messes to clean up from addiction and the mistakes we made then.

Some messes are bigger than others, but no mess is so big we can't get through to the other side

D
Old 09-11-2019, 02:41 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
The best advice I think anyone will give you is not to run from this or ignore this.

Ask for details of the bill...consult citizens advice bureau or a free legal clinic, or both - but don't pretend this doesn't exist Paul.

That will only make things worse for you.

A lot of us have messes to clean up from addiction and the mistakes we made then.

Some messes are bigger than others, but no mess is so big we can't get through to the other side

D
Yes. This ^^^^.
Old 09-11-2019, 03:05 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  

Hi Paul,

The damage to the cars seems pretty high, but I am sure that each care owner went to there vehicle manufacture garage and not some Joe soap garage as a result labour, parts spray boot time and replacement vehicle would add up the costs quickly.They will pursue you for costs but if you have no money how do you get blood from a stone? but you should liase with the insurance company to inform them that you have no money.On the other hand if you are working and brought to court you run the risk of additional court fees and a garnishee order on your wages which is taken automatically every week.In any event advice from the free legal advice centre should be obtained.Well done on your sobriety and things could have been worse what if there was people injured then you could add prison time to the mix.
Old 09-11-2019, 03:29 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  
Administrator

I agree, Paul, it's better to deal with this now and be done with it. Get all the information you can, try to get some legal help and do it.