Outside meeting hall

Old 09-03-2019, 09:27 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Outside meeting hall

Tired. Mtg doesn't start til 10pm.
Old 09-03-2019, 09:37 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

stick around. Go in in if it's open - you can help unstack chairs or whatever.

You;re trying to save your life Press - nothings too hard, right?

D
Old 09-03-2019, 10:23 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Go in early. Offer to help set up. I'm sure they'll be glad for the help.
Old 09-04-2019, 12:15 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I went in. Was good to be there. Got welcomed back. One guy was kinda weird to me tho.
Old 09-04-2019, 01:09 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Great going! I'm glad you went in and were welcomed, sorry about the weirdness though.
And welcomed back, too! I hope you go.
Best to you.
Old 09-04-2019, 01:50 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm kinda weird - but harmless. Chances that guy was too Press

D
Old 09-04-2019, 04:45 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Not Alone

I remember one of the first meetings I went to I shared that I thought everyone in that room was a weirdo.. then I paused and said 'Guess that makes me a weirdo too'. But on a serious note a lot of the people who may act weird mean well but can't articulate it very well....like me in my first meetings.

I've always been told to put the same amount of effort I exerted in addiction into my recovery. And addiction for me meant lots of hanging about, driving for miles and waiting.

Good luck

Natom
Old 09-04-2019, 06:34 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Oh, there's some unusual people in AA alright. I mentioned elsewhere that in my first meeting I noticed a guy there with a watch on both wrists...two watches. I'd see him around from time to time, and he seemed like a perfectly nice guy, maybe a little absent-minded, but eventually I just had to ask. He said, "It's redundancy, to make sure I always know if one is off."

What? Really? Wouldn't you need THREE watches then? If you have only two, how could you tell which one is off? Wouldn't you need three, then two would agree and you know the third one is off?

I didn't say anything. There might have been some high abstract method here that escaped me, like maybe he would go check an atomic clock or something if both watches didn't exactly agree?

Now, if you mean by weirdness that the guy was hitting on you, well, there is, unfortunately, that too. Not much of it, it's very much frowned on, but it happens. Don't let it throw you off your reason for being there.
Old 09-04-2019, 06:39 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

A weirdo at AA, no WAY! Haha. Sorry, couldn't help myself. But seriously if someone is making you uncomfortable, talk to the meeting chair. Otherwise, use the mental ignore button.

And I have found that late meetings can bring out more of the creepy crawlers. That's a generalization so sorry if I offend anyone. But, if you can, try some 7PM or earlier meetings.
Old 09-04-2019, 08:05 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
The opposite of addiction is connection.

Personally, I think weirdos make the world more colorful. Harmless ones of course. We all have inner weirdness, it’s just a matter of expressing it!

As for two watches, that’s brilliant. We build triple redundant systems into our aircraft, why not timekeeping?
Old 09-04-2019, 09:48 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I didn't think he was a weirdo. I just thought he was sick of me coming in and out of AA and not staying sober.
Old 09-04-2019, 10:08 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
nez

Originally Posted by Pressmetilihurt View Post
I didn't think he was a weirdo. I just thought he was sick of me coming in and out of AA and not staying sober.
He may be weird. He may not be weird. Doesn't really matter.

He may have thought what you thought he thought. He may have not thought what you thought he thought. Doesn't really matter.

What matters is that you made it to meeting, that is great!!!
Old 09-04-2019, 10:23 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Pressmetilihurt View Post
Good for you on going to the meeting!

Please repeat after me, "I don't care what some stranger thinks of me. I'm doing what I need to in order to stay sober." Repeat as needed.

And unless we talk to the person, we generally have no idea what people think. Unfortunately, I have a demeanor that people read as cold and aloof. I'm anything but. After people get to know me, they are shocked at how different their perception of me was from the reality. I'm sure there are plenty of people who are convinced I was judging them, when in reality I was thinking about the latest season of "Stranger Things."

But the most important point is it doesn't matter what other people think. People think all kinds of things. Who cares?

What matters is what you do. And you made it!

I hope you're feeling better today.
Old 09-04-2019, 05:01 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Administrator

Yeah you can't let what someone else might think stop you press - 9 times out of 10 they're probably not thinking that anyway - why would a thinking person be down on someone there for the same reason they are?

In the unlikely event they are thinking what you think they are - then they're not worth your time to worry about