Notices

Trying to Remember a Term to share with a Friend

Old 08-30-2019, 01:33 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Trying to Remember a Term to share with a Friend

Hi, All.

There is a term that is used to describe what happens when an alcoholic stops and starts drinking multiple times, making it harder and harder to quit. I think it starts with an F? Cannot for the life of me remember it. Anyone?

Thanks in Advance.
Old 08-30-2019, 01:40 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

It is called kindling.

https://www.alcohol.org/effects/kindling-withdrawal/
Old 08-30-2019, 01:53 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thank You!!!!!!!!!

Yes. It is called Kindling! I kept thinking something with fire.... Appreciate your reply!
Old 08-31-2019, 02:33 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Originally Posted by LSNP View Post
Hi, All.

There is a term that is used to describe what happens when an alcoholic stops and starts drinking multiple times, making it harder and harder to quit.
While Kindling makes withdrawals worse, it doesn't necessarily mean it makes it harder and harder to quit.

Just more imperative.
Old 08-31-2019, 03:11 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

^^^Exactly the right word: imperative.

I learned of kindling here - and more importantly for me personally as I am so far a "one white chipper" non-relapser in AA terms, I learned about PAWS from Dee a couple yrs ago. This great article talks about the experience of getting sober and IMO things that apply to everyone in some way or length of time. Post Acute Withdrawal Syndrome -

https://digital-dharma.net/post-acut...r-immediately/

You can do this now - glad you are here.
Old 08-31-2019, 03:53 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Kindling and Fire. It's interesting how you made the connection. I never knew there was a word for the kindling phenomenon until I came to this forum, but I was aware of it in the progression of my own drinking.

For me, I identified it as the reinforcement of a bad habit. Each time you give in and start drinking after short or long periods of sobriety, that pattern of behavior is reinforced in your personal behavior. There may be physical changes involved, but I have no way of detecting such physical changes in my body chemistry, so I saw it as behavioral in nature. But if there is a physical component, that would make the problem much worse.

But whether it's physical or mental makes no difference to me. The cure is to stop reverting back to drinking. The "never touching alcohol" response then becomes the established behavioral pattern.

Another way to look at it is that success reinforces a successful pattern, and failure reinforces a failure pattern. If one keeps reinforcing the failure pattern, the cycle becomes harder to break, and each time you repeat the cycle, your addiction gets worse.

If it's an actual body chemistry issue, the thought of what else you might be doing to yourself that you aren't aware of is frightening to consider.