Notices

Stoned

Old 08-29-2019, 02:29 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Stoned

I'm off Opiates (3yrs) stopped drinking (10 plus with a social beer night rarely) but ...now its pot first thing AM until I go to sleep. Was ok for hip replacement surgery, as I skipped the opiates almost completely, but now its all day and I do nothing I want to. Now I have to stop pot but I fear what addiction I might take up next.
1 more kick? Always one more kick

Last edited by GratefulNY; 08-29-2019 at 02:33 AM. Reason: spelling, grammar
Old 08-29-2019, 02:51 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and welcome GratefulNY

For years I didn't think I could live without some kind of addiction crutch.

The problem, as I see it now, was I was trying to fill the void within me with stuff - be it drugs booze, food, shopping - but nothing worked - my void was unfillable.

Once I started working on not filling, but healing that void tho - everything changed.

I don't believe it's ever too late to start working on that

D
Old 08-29-2019, 07:50 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by GratefulNY View Post
...Always one more kick
Tell me about it. It's like trying to get rid of a tree by picking leaves off, instead of just uprooting it once and for all.
Old 08-29-2019, 08:00 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm glad you're ready to give up marijuana.

Recovery from addiction involves a lot more than just stopping drinking/drugging, etc. I needed to deal with the underlying issues in my life that had led me to addiction. Maybe you could take some time to look at yourself and try to figure out what is causing the void in your life that addiction is filling.
Old 08-29-2019, 08:08 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

All addictions are caused/driven by one underlying emotion: intolerable, overwhelming, helplessness. When one feels helpless, they feel trapped, powerless and out of control. Addictive behaviors are attempts to regain control of how we feel! The antidote is too understand the themes or circumstances in life that make on feel helpless and trapped. Instead of escaping the trap with booze, replace your corrupt behavior with some other high value behavior that helps you regain control. Anxiety is natural. Calm is learned. If you didn’t learn yesterday, you can learn today.

It’s not easy, of course. Once your natural alarm system is triggered, it’s hard to find the off switch.

Indeed, you don’t have an off switch until you build one.

Prayerful Mindfullness can show you how. Neurons that fire together, wire together. Grow close to God and God will grow close to you! James 4:8
Old 08-29-2019, 10:17 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

If you've kicked booze and opiates, kicking pot should be a walk in the park. I smoked daily for years and just quit one day with no problem whatsoever.
Old 08-29-2019, 11:13 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

They call it the spiritual malady in AA. Recovery is about alleviating that and then the thought of using mind altering chemicals seems so far removed from what you’d wish to do in my experience.
Old 08-29-2019, 05:03 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

GratefulNY, I hear you. Similar patterns to you; opiates, much later alcohol, now I work all the time. It is a work in progress.

Welcome to SR.
Old 08-30-2019, 02:50 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I would focus on getting free of pot and not worry about what could come next.

There's nothing quite like having a clear head.

All the hype about legalized pot, CBD oils, etc. notwithstanding, smoking pot isn't too good for trying to get a clear head.

I wake up with a clear mind every morning.