Notices

Almost drank today

Old 08-18-2019, 07:08 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Almost drank today

Man today was hard. It took every ounce of my being to not pick up today. I just played the tape forward enough to know it was the worse idea I could ever have. So I didn’t. this is hard. But I’m proud of myself.
Old 08-18-2019, 07:13 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Im PROUD of YOU too...those days are tough...My eyes popped wide open when I saw "Almost drank today" because I know how devastating that would BE.
Congratulations...you will feel awesome tomorrow!
Old 08-18-2019, 07:29 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm glad you didn't goosemoose. Remember you can post here whenever and as much as you want to

D
Old 08-18-2019, 08:09 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

You should be proud of yourself. You played the tape through. Just remember the reality of that tape and how you'd feel tomorrow.
All the regret, anxiety and remorse. You saved yourself from that.
Now you can wake up clear headed and ready to take on the world with your head up.
Great job. You made my night. So, thanks
Best to you in sobriety.
Old 08-18-2019, 08:14 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Reality...what a concept!

Playing the tape forward to the pain, anxiety, and disappointment in yourself that you would certainly feel if you picked up a drink is always a good mental exercise, and has helped me stay sober through many a craving.

You might regret drinking but you will never regret not drinking.
Old 08-18-2019, 08:38 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Yes thank you guys. All I wanted was for 9pm to come. But that’s not realistic. It was almost like I was taken over and nothing would help. Cunning, baffling, and powerful for gosh darn sure. Dang. Well it’s almost 9now. Going to a meeting tomorrow. As much as I’m happy I didn’t drink, I’m actually a bit depressed with how close I came. Like I actually DID fail... does that make sense?
Old 08-18-2019, 08:44 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by G00SEM00SE View Post
Man today was hard. It took every ounce of my being to not pick up today. I just played the tape forward enough to know it was the worse idea I could ever have. So I didn’t. this is hard. But I’m proud of myself.
You should be proud, you did the right thing, onward to another positive day.
Old 08-18-2019, 08:46 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Vinificent View Post
Playing the tape forward to the pain, anxiety, and disappointment in yourself that you would certainly feel if you picked up a drink is always a good mental exercise, and has helped me stay sober through many a craving.

You might regret drinking but you will never regret not drinking.
I love this quote at the end, well put.
Old 08-18-2019, 08:48 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Yes thank you guys. All I wanted was for 9pm to come. But that’s not realistic. It was almost like I was taken over and nothing would help. Cunning, baffling, and powerful for gosh darn sure. Dang. Well it’s almost 9now. Going to a meeting tomorrow. As much as I’m happy I didn’t drink, I’m actually a bit depressed with how close I came. Like I actually DID fail... does that make sense?
You didn't fail, you prevailed. Big difference.
Old 08-18-2019, 09:09 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I used to feel that guilt when I almost drank. Hell, the other night when I got off the phone with my sponsor I was going to go buy booze but the store closed at 7pm that night. I told my sponsor the next day, guilty like you, and he laughed and said God is doing for me what I can not do for myself. I had several days similar, not necessarily that I was going to buy booze, but cravings and temporary plans, but none came to fruition and here I sit sober. How that is, I am not sure, but I don’t question it, I’m just grateful.

Congrats on staying sober. What a blessing.
Old 08-18-2019, 09:28 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I know the feeling of being taken over oh so well. It really is like something in my primordial brain was in control and I had lost all willpower.
And I did get taken over. For ten years. That's how long I tried to quit drinking. I know how hard it is if you're anything like the alcoholic I am.
Yes, cunning, baffling and powerful. Without help we have little chance against it. I found this to be so true.
In the end, I couldn't do it alone. AA and this place saved me. That was ten and a half years ago since I've had a drink.

Maybe you're feeling survivors guilt if you're feeling sad about how close you came to drinking. Like why didn't I fail? How come I succeeded when I've failed so many times before? Why should I be happy when I, and others, have succumbed so many times before? Why am I having this overwhelming urge to drink? Shouldn't I be past this now?

That's a lot of questions, and I can only speak from my experience, but my brain would really play tricks on me in early sobriety.
I relapsed once after seven months because I was doing laundry and there was a beer store out back.
I could go on, but I hope some of this makes sense.

You made it. And each time you do, you will become more confident that you can do it again. This has been my experience. I hope it helps you.
Forget the depression and revel in the pride that you survived. You have every right to be proud of yourself.
Old 08-18-2019, 09:51 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Ghostlight1 View Post
I know the feeling of being taken over oh so well. It really is like something in my primordial brain was in control and I had lost all willpower.
And I did get taken over. For ten years. That's how long I tried to quit drinking. I know how hard it is if you're anything like the alcoholic I am.
Yes, cunning, baffling and powerful. Without help we have little chance against it. I found this to be so true.
In the end, I couldn't do it alone. AA and this place saved me. That was ten and a half years ago since I've had a drink.

Maybe you're feeling survivors guilt if you're feeling sad about how close you came to drinking. Like why didn't I fail? How come I succeeded when I've failed so many times before? Why should I be happy when I, and others, have succumbed so many times before? Why am I having this overwhelming urge to drink? Shouldn't I be past this now?

That's a lot of questions, and I can only speak from my experience, but my brain would really play tricks on me in early sobriety.
I relapsed once after seven months because I was doing laundry and there was a beer store out back.
I could go on, but I hope some of this makes sense.

You made it. And each time you do, you will become more confident that you can do it again. This has been my experience. I hope it helps you.
Forget the depression and revel in the pride that you survived. You have every right to be proud of yourself.
It is so awesome that you still come and post on the boards. I hope to do the same someday. Thank you for sharing.
Old 08-18-2019, 10:01 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by BeABetterMan View Post

It is so awesome that you still come and post on the boards. I hope to do the same someday. Thank you for sharing.
Well, thank you. I wish I could say I do it all for altruistic reasons, but I need it here as much as the newcomer.
I know myself. I'm one drink away from a drunk.
And I also need to be reminded what it's like, "Out there".
Take things one day at a time and you will do the same.
Best to you in sobriety.
Old 08-18-2019, 10:01 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Trojanhorse View Post
I love this quote at the end, well put.
I love that quote as well. I use it all the time when I am so tempted and it is so true. I can't remember who I first heard it from but it was on these forums years ago and it has saved me many times
Old 08-18-2019, 10:03 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Very nice job!!! Be super proud of yourself, this **** is tough.
Old 08-18-2019, 10:07 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Good for you!
Old 08-18-2019, 10:07 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Wow. Awesome responses. Yeah I honestly have no Idea why I feel guilty. Heck I’m only a week sober, of COURSE I’m going to come close to drinking. It’s what I do about it that matters. And I probably prayed to God the serenity prayer ohhhhhhhh like 182 times today so I definitely think he had something to do with it. Because I haven’t made it to day 8 since i relapsed 10 months ago. I know I have a long way to go but I kinda feel like Moana when she made it past that last huge difficult wave. Lol. I haven’t been this far in a long time. How sad. Just 8 days
Old 08-19-2019, 12:07 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

So proud of you!!! Keep it up, you are stronger than your crazy AV!!!
Old 08-19-2019, 01:40 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Proud of you too!!! Thank you for posting this I'm feeling this everyday lately I dread the evenings but having this place is what's making the difference this time and I keep telling myself a few uncomfortable hours of cravings sure beats the consequences and hours and days lost if I have that 1 drink x
Old 08-19-2019, 02:06 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Life Goes On

Great job getting through the day, Moose.

Is it possible you might be feeling guilty because you feel that drinking is inevitable? My brain has told me that lie many a time and I fell for the lie. If that's the case, don't believe it and don't let it bother you. Dismiss the thought as a nuisance; it's just a dumb thought.

Making it to milestones has historically been a problem for me. No more.

If none of that fits for you, I still congratulate you on your accomplishment yesterday. Getting through that Really Hard Craving is proof that You hold the power here.

O