Notices

The WaterOx Super Happy Fun (accountability) Thread

Old 08-12-2019, 05:39 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

The WaterOx Super Happy Fun (accountability) Thread

My 7 month sobriety streak ended on Friday evening and I'm on day one. It's been 24 hours since my last drink.

The remainder of this year is going to be full of triggers and I'm worried. Last year I relapsed around this very same time and I continued to drink until January 1 2019. This time, I'd like to do it differently. With all the challenges that lie ahead, I thought I'd create an accountability thread to check into. Let's see how it goes.

By all means, if anyone wants to join in, please do so. We are all in this boat, together.
Old 08-12-2019, 05:49 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Post here instead of drinking, I'd say. Let us talk you out of it.
Old 08-12-2019, 06:12 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

I agree - talk to us - we all understand & want to help. I think this thread is a great idea, WaterOx. Glad you are back among the living.
Old 08-12-2019, 06:33 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Think this will be a great thread! Glad you are doing it differently and jumping right back on the wagon. It is always fun chatting with you on here and you for sure have helped me out a lot! Now everyone reading better be having fun
Old 08-12-2019, 06:55 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

This week is going to be hell. Not only does my body have the task of cleansing out the poison but it's going to be around 100 degrees for 4 days in a row. Hot lethargic days are never easy.

I've stocked up on fizzy water and if I have to I'll sacrifice my lean belly to the gods of ice cream but hopefully avoid that if I can....just sayin, commitment has its price.
Old 08-12-2019, 06:57 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Aw, WaterOx, I'm sorry you drank but it's good that you came right back here and are changing up your plan to something stronger.

you got this. We are all here for you.
Old 08-12-2019, 07:30 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm sorry you drank too but I'm glad you made it back.

With regards to triggers - by the end of my drinking waking up was a trigger to drink.

I had to learn to get through all those situations feelings etc that I used to take me back to drinking in the past and simply not drink.

That took a lot of work and a lot of thought and fair amount of fore planning, but it was far from impossible.

If you really don't want to drink again, WaterOx, you don't have to - and that applies regardless of how many triggers you might be facing

D
Old 08-12-2019, 07:51 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Glad you are back WO.

Ice cream or whatever it takes. You can do it.
Old 08-13-2019, 09:44 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

My joints ache all over. It’s like I poured battery acid in my knees. Honestly I think I have become allergic to alcohol.
Old 08-13-2019, 02:08 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Giving up is NOT an option.

You can do this! Glad you made it back so fast. Not everyone does. You will feel pretty bad for a couple of days, I'm guessing. Maybe write down how you feel physically and mentally right now and keep it somewhere so you can read it if you think you want to drink again.
Old 08-14-2019, 10:23 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

WO, good for you for creating an accountability thread! When I struggled with cravings last year, I came back to SR and posted every time I felt triggered. It really did help me and prevent relapses. I’m so grateful for SR. I’m sorry you are feeling pain. You don’t have to go through this again. Our sobriety is something we have control over.

I do believe we have all become allergic to alcohol.

Sending you support and a virtual hug!
Old 08-14-2019, 12:49 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

The aches seem to be subsiding, thankfully. This is day 3 (I think?) and if experience has anything to say, it won't be too long before the poison is out of my body.

It's going going to be over 100 degrees today so I'm taking a day trip to the coast for a little hike and then a bite to eat. I will NOT drink any alcohol.
Old 08-14-2019, 05:59 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Congrats on your day 3, WO. You're going to start feeling so much better.
Old 08-14-2019, 06:05 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I hope you're feeling better soon.
Old 08-14-2019, 06:36 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Ice cream is better for us than alcohol..hands down!

7 months was a long haul...did you feel like drinking the whole time or did something trigger you?
Old 08-14-2019, 08:11 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Hi Missy. It wasn't the whole time, no. It starts to creep in the moment the weather gets nice and then begins to escalate when summer hits. Throw in the fact that the holidays and family visits are just around the corner and it all starts compounding.

In other words:
months 1-6 = great
months 6+ = not great

PS: Ice cream is great but I think that's also what contributed to the joints aching, so I try to go easy on that.
Old 08-15-2019, 01:56 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

WO - I used to think dairy products caused inflammation, but now I'm not so sure. I just read an article that said the opposite. There are low sugar ice creams, but they're kind of hard to find.

Congrats for staying strong and doing this.
Old 08-15-2019, 08:17 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Hi Hevyn. It's not the dairy, in my experience. It's the sugar. I can get away with a little, but once I start binging on things like ice cream or soda, I start to feel it quite a bit. Fortunately I've never been one to do that regularly. I have developed a sweet tooth since I quit drinking, however. I guess my dopamine receptors are crying out for anything it can get, since I also quit caffeine 4 months ago

Still not drinking. I don't know how I'm going to get through my sister's visit next month. We stay in touch on the phone all the time but I have not seen her in 8 years and she has no clue about any of this. She also loves to hang out and drink.
Old 08-16-2019, 06:04 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

I craved sweets too. I was never one for a lot of candy, but there I was eating lollipops, lifesavers, ice cream, etc. It settled down though.

Maybe give your sister a heads up about quitting? I know what you mean - but you're already anticipating being triggered, so you won't be caught off guard.
Old 08-20-2019, 01:39 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Bleh. Big time craving today. 9 day since the relapse. Can't believe all I want to do is sit down with a beer and "take a break from it all". What a load of ****.

I guess it's that craving of relief from the never ending demands of life. Does anyone have any practical tips for dealing with this?