Notices

what about the beauty?

Old 08-11-2019, 08:06 AM
  # 41 (permalink)  

Yeah, I didn't even notice the NRF2 part....and while understanding who we truly are - and who we are sober- is important, to me the word nerd sounds more self-flagellating or merely limiting than it does identifying with confidence.
Old 08-11-2019, 08:50 AM
  # 42 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by August252015 View Post
Yeah, I didn't even notice the NRF2 part....and while understanding who we truly are - and who we are sober- is important, to me the word nerd sounds more self-flagellating or merely limiting than it does identifying with confidence.
I call myself a nerd as a way to explain to people I meet what I'm all about. I could describe myself as the person whose name sits on top of the record boards in his home town, or dig out a hundred sports trophies, but nerd is what I go with these days. Although forums are of course devoid of tone of voice and gestures and body language, its fun calling oneself a nerd.
Old 08-11-2019, 12:55 PM
  # 43 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by itshardtosignup View Post
I call myself a nerd as a way to explain to people I meet what I'm all about. I could describe myself as the person whose name sits on top of the record boards in his home town, or dig out a hundred sports trophies, but nerd is what I go with these days. Although forums are of course devoid of tone of voice and gestures and body language, its fun calling oneself a nerd.
Many of us have an "inner nerd".

I'm a lawyer and I enjoy reading articles about tax law, which is enough to make most lawyers reach out and call a tax lawyer.
Old 08-11-2019, 08:23 PM
  # 44 (permalink)  

I have a tendency to overthink things which was hijacked by alcohol to justify my continued drinking. It told me that drink was a path to creativity, wit, spontaneity. None of which was true for me.

I met my wife and we had our children while I was drinking but I don’t attribute their beauty to alcohol. With the benefit of hindsight and the clarity of thought that sobriety brings, I understand that for a problem drinker like me there is nothing beautiful about being drunk.

Keats wrote ‘Beauty is truth and truth beauty.” The passing buzz of inebriation on the way to oblivion is not truth, quite the reverse. It was for me a temporary distortion of perception caused by self imposed scrambling of cognitive abilities. Which ultimately obscures beauty rather than revealing it .