Notices

Anxiety

Old 07-18-2019, 11:26 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Anxiety

I have been wanting to post the past couple days but held back because I feel like I am being a bother . I am feeling very anxious this week I guess so much so I am even worried about bothering online strangers
Old 07-18-2019, 11:32 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Bother away...

Anxiety seems pretty prevalent in early recovery. Some find it resolved with sustained sobriety. Others have to take more direct action to address. Do what you need to and don't be afraid to post.
Old 07-18-2019, 11:46 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Dont be afraid to post. Its all good . we are here for each other.........keep coming back.
Old 07-18-2019, 11:53 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thank you, I stopped taking the small dose of anti anxiety medicine I had been on for well over a year the same day I started my sobriety journey. It’s been overall
manageable bc alcohol definitely made my anxiety way worse so being sober helps but today I feel like an impending doom is waiting for me ...
Old 07-18-2019, 12:10 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hi Hoot, someone once recommended that I make a self-soothing kit (see link below). I made my own version and it helped me. I will be replenishing the stock again as I haven't used it for a while.
Hope it helps :-)
Create A Sensory Self-Soothing Kit - Creativity in Therapy
Old 07-18-2019, 12:49 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

You are never a bother.

I think you will find that your anxiety will improve with your recovery.
Old 07-18-2019, 01:49 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hey Hoot, pretty sure you're not bothering anybody. Chamomile tea always relaxes me pretty well, as does just closing my eyes and taking a few deep breaths.
Old 07-18-2019, 01:55 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

That's what this forum is for, supporting others and getting support for ourselves!

I too suffer from anxiety and have been in these shoes, not wanting to share because I did not want to be a burden. Trust me, reach out. The fine folks here at SR mean that!
Old 07-18-2019, 02:58 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hi Hoot, don't worry about bothering us, we're here for support and *many* of us have been or continue to be in your shoes!

I've dealt with social anxiety and general anxiety my entire life. Though I initially started drinking to dull down my anxiousness and alleviate stress, I agree with you - it actually ended up making it worse.

Like you, I also tapered off of my anti-anxiety meds shortly after stopping drinking. It's been over a year now, and like you I've had ups and downs. I've been working on Acceptance and Commitment Therapy (ACT) and mindfulness as means to work with my anxiety when it's higher. I also try to get a lot of time outside/in nature.

One thing I'd say: anxiety is different for everyone who experiences it. I hear a lot on here that anxiety is caused by drinking and will taper off after some sober time. I'd caution that this isn't always the case, so don't get too frustrated if your anxiety doesn't fade away with sobriety. In my case, anxiety is a separate medical issue that has been a part of me since childhood. Drinking was a misguided way to "self-medicate". So now my challenge is to find new, healthy ways to address it.

For me, that's ACT and mindfulness. And if my anxiety returns at a level that really affects my quality of life, I'll be heading to the doctor to discuss options. I recommend that you keep your doctor in the loop if you find that it's starting to have a big impact on you.

All that to say, I empathize with you and I'm here if you want to chat!

Take care!

JT
Old 07-18-2019, 04:32 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Blue Belt

A coworker said something to me Wednesday that set me off. I didn't go off on him in his face, but I was off and on doing it in my head.

I went to a concert with my wife last night, great show. There was this performer that I fell in love with. My wife has been getting on my nerves a bit because she likes to nag.

All of this caused me tons of anxiety today. I hit the gym and got a ton of adrenaline, endorphins, and dopamine.

All of the problems I mentioned seemed to fade away. I have been working hard to practice gratitude. Glad that I am healthy today, my family is fine, I have a retirement plan etc etc etc.

I am in a constant battle with the sadness. I refuse to be depressed. I get down.

I am not going to give into medication. I will figure this out.

Booze helped with this for a bit of time, but in hindsight, it only helped while I was intoxicated. Once the booze wore off, I was in the same mental mess and searching blindly because I was still drinking.

That answer is not in a bottle of booze, we all know that. I don't want the answer to be RX meds. That will be a measure I will take if I must. Marijuana is so popular and legal, but we here know that it is another addiction.

Exercise, gratitude, acts of kindness, meditation, SR are my go to moves.

Thanks.
Old 07-18-2019, 05:17 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

Please don't feel like you're a botherhootowlhoot
SR is here for you ,and people like you, and me

Cheesey alert but I believe it :
There are no strangers here - only friends you haven't yet met.

D
Old 07-20-2019, 08:33 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone

anither day full of anxiety . We are supposed to stay home today and my daughter is just playing but I’m on eggshells waiting to my husband to get annoyed that she’s playing too loud.

he said I’m in a bad mood today and he was annoyed bc she was “screaming all
morning” I tru so hard to keep her quiet so he can sleep and I felt like she was good this morning but a few times she yelled for
me across the house loudly.

I feel like he is also annoyed we are not doing anything ijr of the house he fends fo get bored easily

i food him he needs to come to peace with staying home (we are also trying to save money and pay down debt)

right now I am just relaxing in bed, reading. I probably
makw a lot of this up in my head he says he isn’t mad but he said I’m being grumpy today. I’m just trying to take it easy.

The plus side side is I am still
sober but I am at the point where he is starting to annoy me especially if he drinks of smokes . I feel
guilty saying that too.

sorry for the ramble just trying to get my
feelings out as I feel like i can’t express myself in the real world most of the time. If I try to express myself it’s that I’m miserable or mad or mean ....

Old 07-20-2019, 04:13 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Administrator

No, I don't think you make up it in your head Hootowlhoot.

I get you do not want to leave but your domestic situation sounds very difficult, you sound fearful, and all that no doubt is contributing to the anxiety you feel..

I hope you can find the strength to find a way to live without fear.

D
Old 07-20-2019, 04:55 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I agree with Dee. Your situation sounds unhappy. I hope you can find some peace of mind.
Old 07-20-2019, 07:33 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

If there's one place you don't need to worry about, it's here.

If you're new to sobriety you'll soon discover anxiety is part of the recovery- but it doesn't last! Stick around
Old 08-22-2019, 08:24 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

This guys sounds awful. Hope you remember you have a right to be happy. You have a right to stand up for yourself. And you’re not at all a bother. Someday you’ll be here supporting others. That’s how this all works.
Old 08-22-2019, 08:26 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I so feel u there buddy.... right with ya. Wish i had something better to say but ur not alone 🤗