too scared to go to meetings

I am too scared to go to any AA or NA meetings just in case my rapist is there
i cant get any help from the recovery network in Edinburgh at all
i cant face seeing him
there are areas in town where it happened i cant go
but av not drank av not used
Old 07-17-2019, 07:12 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Sorry you feel that way. But hey it is different strokes for differwnt folks. Meetings are not for everybody feel me? I havent gone to a meeting . but I do have a support system . family. Higher power. The way I look at it is he (higher power) is the coach I am the player. Let him call rhe shots. If you are down with being sober you will do whatever it takes feel me. Keep coming back
Old 07-17-2019, 08:19 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I'm not sure I understand the connection between the two. I'm so sorry for the awful things I am sure you have been thru. I have no idea how things work in Edinburgh but is a counselor, therapist, something related to trauma and alcohol something to pursue?

If you do look at AA, are there womens' only meetings?
Old 07-17-2019, 02:38 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

I know you don't want to go to the police but it really sounds like you need to talk to someone experienced in helping victims about this River?

https://www.supportline.org.uk/probl...exual-assault/

in terns of NA/AA I would try womens meetings, like August said.

D
Old 07-17-2019, 03:06 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hi River...its so good you are not drinking....If you have AA than there should be an AA building...I forget what they call them....OH..here they call them "intergroup" the headquarters for AA in your area.

If you call there...they will help you to find a woman to go to some meetings with you....and then you wouldn't be "alone" if you happened to bump into this guy.

If you really want to go to AA...you will be strong (if someone can go with you) enough to go with someone else....and if you see him...you can leave..with that other person and go to another meeting or go another day.

As someone said you don't need AA...although I find AA to be a lifesaver...but you can journal...write here...use the church....

Just don't use this as a "reason" to drink...you sound like your young..you have a long life to live....and if you keep drinking you are not going to enjoy life as much as you should be.
Old 07-17-2019, 03:11 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I am sorry that you are having such a tough time River. I am not a meetings person but I do know that in my home town both AA and NA have closed women's meetings. I have just googled AA in Edinburgh and they have at least one closed women's meeting there - Lipstick with the Winners was the one I saw.
Old 07-17-2019, 03:57 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

River, you've gotten lots of good advice here. I hope that you can find some peace.
Old 07-17-2019, 06:30 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
AA member

There are a couple of women only meetings in Edinburgh,if you call the helpline they can talk you through it.Or email, [email protected]
Old 07-18-2019, 02:42 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Earth Child

Sorry my name river is an unisex name i am female to male transgender i have being going back and forth through the gender as i have always questioned who
I am from now on i wish to be named something else instead of river i will asked that my name is a male name sorry for the confusion my new name is John after my step dad - i went to an NA meeting today it helped am still scared about going to meetings but if i see him 'ill walk out Am more at NA than AA i have not called the police about this am talking to my minster ( am back at the old church ( where i am accepted for my gender identity and me ) seeing him tomorrow about what happened am scared to talk about it but i need to talk about it i have been having flash backs - a lot of the time i am ...i got to try and sleep am finding hard to sleep keep having nightmares as well but i am exhausted sorry for the confusion
Old 07-18-2019, 03:40 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

Sorry John - I did somehow forget that you were transgender.

I deal with a lot of people and some days my brain is less sharp than others.
No offence intended

Its a shame that this person who assaulted you is effectively keeping you away from help and support tho.

I really don't think that's right.

I hope you can find some face to face support where you feel safe.

D
Old 07-18-2019, 04:22 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

My apologies for assuming, John. Hoping you catch up on some sleep.