Notices

What do I do when the urge comes back?

Old 07-07-2019, 08:21 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Don't give up on the idea of a sponser. When you find the right one, its a.great tool and great help. My first sponser I just asked without putting much thought into, and it was not the right fit for sobriety. The one I have had for a while now, how helped so much! So please think about giving it another chance
Old 07-07-2019, 02:29 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by braebear View Post
Oh Press....I'm soooo with you! Woke up today, day 4, with the WORST urge to drink. My mind is racing, and desperately trying to punch that voice in the face. I'm just going minute by minute right now
🐻! How u doing? I just wanna sleep thru this month.
Old 07-07-2019, 10:32 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by LiveLikeGold6 View Post
Sorry that sponsor berated you. As everyone has said, and i also can attest to, post here as much, as often as you like or can. In person meetings are great for me and im coming to terms with the fact that people in AA can be very hit or miss, but the book/the spiritual component is central and to be taken in. I learned of AA’s 3 M’s today: Meetings, Meditation, and Masturbate lol. Good for you for wanting to be proactive though, it’s great to see you’re committed to your sobriety!
Hee hee.
Old 07-07-2019, 10:41 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by tomsteve View Post
truly sorry your previous sponsor doesnt understand alcoholism or the program. no where in the bb does is say we will never again think about drinking. in fact, quite the contrary-it tells us the thought can pop back up:
We will seldom be interested in liquor. If tempted, we recoil from it as from a hot flame. We react sanely and normally, and we will find that this has happened automatically. We will see that our new attitude toward liquor has been given us without any thought or effort on our part. It just comes!

so whats the sane and normal reaction? welp, for me its accepting the thought for what it is- a thought that i best not entertain for too long.
ive had the though of an ice cold beer pop up from time to time-give me a warm summer day and a lawn mower and it usually comes to mind. i laugh at it knowing 1 ice cold beer comes home with at least 11 others,i dont wanna go back there,then turn my attention to something more useful.

early on in recovery i did a LOT of praying, reading the big book,and working the steps.
Ha. I was in my front yard today and I remembered the last time I got the weed whacker out I was lit. I can be so productive ( and dangerous) before I pass out.
Old 07-07-2019, 10:46 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Zucc36 View Post
Don't give up on the idea of a sponser. When you find the right one, its a.great tool and great help. My first sponser I just asked without putting much thought into, and it was not the right fit for sobriety. The one I have had for a while now, how helped so much! So please think about giving it another chance
Thx Zuc. I will keep an open mind. I really don't know what the right thing to do is. I'm just trying to not drink each day. If I can get maybe 4 months I'll feel like I'm on a roll. That's dangerous too tho. I'm always comparing myself to other people and coming up short. Maybe my "big" deal is to not drink right now. Maybe this is my epic adventure.
Old 07-07-2019, 10:47 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Needed to hear that.
Old 07-07-2019, 10:49 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

[QUOTE=mariposa;7221764]
Do anything else but drink. Eat something, drink a tea, a coffee, paint your nails, find something on TV, draw, clean the house, write down reasons you quit, write down goals, paint a wall, read a book, and post and read here. I feel this site is very positive and we understand wanting to drink but how much it destroys our lives.
[/QUOTE
so appreciate all this. You. Everyone here. I bought a water color set for $5. I'm kinda maybe just a little excited. Not really but maybe a little.
Old 07-07-2019, 10:51 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Things I'm proud of today.
didn't drink
put some plants in a pot
Made pancakes!
Old 07-07-2019, 11:21 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  
Administrator

good stuff Press

D
Old 07-08-2019, 06:30 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

That's the perfect to do list and you did it!! You might have read this from me before but early on my lists were short and basic - like 1 eat twice 2 make the bed 3 shower. They kept growing and it's cool when random things like making pancakes (sober) are on it!!!

You can do this. What's up for today?