Notices

Personality changes

Old 07-07-2019, 02:23 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Personality changes

One thing many people have told me is my personality changes when I drink. After the first two, I’m someone different. I’ve been reading and researching. Some say it’s lowered inhibitions, but I’m beyond that kind of change. Anyone else experience this or am I crazy? Dr. Jekel mr. Hyde? Just trying to figure myself out here.
Old 07-07-2019, 02:36 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

When people are drunk, in general, they are disinhibited and over stimulated.
This was the buzz I was looking for. It turned from a shy quite person into a loud obnoxious drunk after the sixth drink.

That's a personality change, but I imagine, it's different for everyone. But that was me.
After over ten years sober, I've discovered the real me.
I was stuck in that personality change for over thirty years.
That's one thing about alcohol, it's very dependable and very predictable in its affects.
Old 07-07-2019, 02:45 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

That happened to me when I drank. I’m very happy to be able to know the sober me...I quite like her. And she is way less crazy than the drinking me.
Old 07-07-2019, 03:46 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I know I was probably louder and more hyper when drinking. My wife could always tell. Even after drinking all day every day she could even tell if I slammed a few shots before we left to go somewhere. I guess I just got even more loud and happy? Sometimes before we left to go to dinner or golf or whatever I would drink 4 or 5 or 6 shots right before we left (to last the ride, etc....) and she would always ask "what did you slam a bunch of rum or something" ofcourse I always said no.
Old 07-07-2019, 04:08 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I turn from a usually nice caring person to an absolute monster. To the point I'm surprised I'm actually alive today, and I haven't been beaten to death.

It won't be entirely due to drink. Imo it's also unresolved demons everyone has. It's also 90 percent drink bringing apalling behaviour you'd never even considering doing while sober.
Old 07-07-2019, 04:23 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I got the nick name the Joker.... So ....
Old 07-07-2019, 04:33 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

My hubby always said my face changed...and I became hyperactive. Of course I don't remember any of it.....
Old 07-07-2019, 04:37 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Haha that's not a good nickname to have, especially considering Heath Ledger's cool psychopathic rendition.

BTW I'm really looking forward to theJoker film later this year.
Old 07-07-2019, 04:41 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Yea, my wife said she could tell by how I looked. I guess I would have a furrowed brow. I couldnt tell. The last two years whenever I looked in the mirror I saw a drunk. Glassed over eyes and just looked hammered. Surprised no one ever said anything to me.
Old 07-07-2019, 04:49 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Oh yeah the sneak a few shooters game. Lol. Only fooling yourself lol. Thought I was slick. Cause they be like how can you be so poop faced and all they seen me drink was three beers. Gosh I was a bone head
Old 07-07-2019, 04:53 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

That's the thing with drinking, you become omnipotent, with very little powers
Old 07-07-2019, 04:56 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I think everyone becomes bi-polar or manic/depressive when they drink. I was accused of it. Sober I'm much more level headed. One of the things I hate the most about being drunk are the lousy, stupid decisions I make. I'm an aging type A personality and I love control. I always thought I was in control when drinking. Maybe at first, when I was younger, but not now. After a few shots I'm insane. I completely lose control of myself. It's scary.
Old 07-07-2019, 05:09 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Yeah that's what George Carlin said and found - it's a sliding scale, the longer you drink the more it takes out of you and the less benefit you get from it. So it becomes a depressing chase to find equilibrium.
Old 07-07-2019, 05:17 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Administrator

I became a different person. Don't know if everyone is like that or just alcoholics. I suspect the latter.

D
Old 07-07-2019, 05:41 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I don't know. I think you might be right. I have known people who can drink a hell of a lot, be totally in control and only a bit happy. Others get very silly.
Old 07-07-2019, 06:25 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
12 Step Recovered Alcoholic

Plateau drinkers, a type of alcoholic I always wanted to be, seem to be pretty steady in temperament, always just nicely topped up. That looked good to me until I realized they are dying just the same. I never got to see them with their demons in the middle of the night or rattling round in the early morning.

I was the Mr Hyde type, often insanely drunk. I had a friend who was a nice guy but with a few drinks became so obnoxious that no one wanted to know him. He blacks out so never remembers.
Old 07-07-2019, 06:32 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Drinking made me feel depressed all the time. Now that I'm sober, my meds work as they should and keep the depression at bay.
Old 07-07-2019, 07:26 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Thank you all for your responses, I feel less alone in the crazy behavior. I think it is a trademark of alcoholism and I’m curious as to the why. Why does my brain and body react to alcohol this way? Is it a chemical imbalance? Genetic? Learned? Some people are so quiet, can have 2-3 drinks and go home and sleep. Why do I have 2-3, then 15... stay up all night wired and blacked out?
Old 07-08-2019, 01:10 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

I v no idea who the drunk me is , apparently I can be life n soul of a party or the death of a party , depending on how poisoned I am , the big diff with me is appearance!!! i took a selfie on my last day drinking and it's chalk and cheese as to how I look now. .
Old 07-08-2019, 01:19 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

I'm always merry, but unfortunately seriously malevolent too. And I look like hell when I drink, flushed and red as hell. Again people know this - it's fairly obvious to other people if you're a drinker or not.