Notices

Effects of a binge

Old 06-27-2019, 02:43 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Effects of a binge

So today is Thursday, my drink/ coke binge was Monday/ tuesday. Today the panic set in. I slept last night, it was restless but I slept. I woke this morning, soon as I opened my eyes i felt it begin to rise. I tried to ignore it, but it quickly escalated to the point i couldn't breath. I had a full blown panic attack.
Let me make this clear, it was the effects of my binge, not the wanting of more alcohol or coke.
I have my appointment today, which I'm now so grateful for. I'm not doing this shite to myself anymore.
I can't carry on the merry go round. I'm starting at the beginning today. With professional help, I can't do this alone I've realized. One step at a time.
I have my breathing under control now and my logical brain has kicked in.
Old 06-27-2019, 03:15 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Glad to hear you're clearing up and reaching out for help! I tried so many times to get sober with a little help as possible, and never worked for very long. I'm grateful for all the support here, and all the programs and people working toward the same goal IRL. Good luck today with the doctor!!!
Old 06-27-2019, 01:23 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Might be the wake up call you need.
Too old to be carrying on like a teenager.
Professional help is a good idea.
All the help you can get is a good idea.
Hope it went well at the docs today.

Chin up you’ll get there.
Big hug , you daft sod.
Old 06-27-2019, 02:55 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
AA Member

Originally Posted by Doris47 View Post
I'm starting at the beginning today. With professional help, I can't do this alone I've realized. One step at a time.

AWESOME !!!

Old 06-27-2019, 02:55 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

reaching out for help is an excellent demonstration of recovery in action. i hope your initial appt went well today.
Old 06-27-2019, 02:57 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

We're with you, Doris - everything can turn around. I'm happy you're seeking more help.
Old 06-27-2019, 03:14 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

That sounds like a good plan, Doris.

I also used to wake up with horrible panic attacks. It's unbelievable what we put ourselves through.
Old 06-27-2019, 04:34 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I'm glad you're getting the help you need.
Old 06-27-2019, 07:30 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

The anxiety is what drags most back to drinking. Fight through it, and glad you got an appointment today.
Old 06-27-2019, 07:33 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by mariposa View Post
The anxiety is what drags most back to drinking. Fight through it, and glad you got an appointment today.
Just remember that your anxiety will be worse when you continue to drink. I noticed my anxiety lessened Greatly after being sober for some time, I worked to develop healthier coping mechanisms. Walking in nature, and mindfulness have been the two biggest supports for me with anxiety. I also have medication for times that are really stressful. I took that when my mom died in addition to long walks.

It really does get better Mariposa.
Old 06-27-2019, 07:34 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Doris, how was the appointment?
Old 06-28-2019, 06:31 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Afternoon everyone, yes snowy I'm a daft ole bat 😊
Right to business...... so I went to my appointment, I was in for an hour an a half, I cried all the way through it. I don't want to say what was talked about as it's all too personal. But it was a relief to get stuff out th a t hasn't been talked about before.
I was surprised that I already have a diagnosis.
Cyclothmia disorder ......which is basically a sub group of bipolar. I've never heard of it before but there you go. The shrink is now a fitting to my own GP to start me on different meds, which I'm really concerned about. They are called QUETRIPINE I think that's how you spell it. Also along side CBT I'm going to the root cause now, instead of keeping it all buried, it was the hardest thing ive ever done, but also the best. I'm not messing about now, I'm not going to keep breaking my own heart. I've along way to go, but to admit I need help to a professional is a step in the right direction . Thanks to all that have taken the time to message me. I'm a bit wobbly today in the sense of mentally so I'm taking time out to rest, I'm exhausted. But I'm ok 😊.
Doris xx
Old 06-28-2019, 07:23 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I think it’s spelled ‘ TURPENTINE’
But might be my dyslexia showing through.
Glad you’re getting things sorted
Old 06-28-2019, 07:42 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

[QUOTE=Snowydelrico;7216232]I think it’s spelled ‘ TURPENTINE’
But might be my dyslexia showing through.
Glad you’re getting things sorted

Your a t++t snowy lol 😝 yeah I'm getting it all sorted now, I've messed up the first half of my life, gonna make sure the second half doesn't go **** up lol xx
Old 06-28-2019, 07:45 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Sorry it's spelt cyclothymia disorder ....
Old 06-28-2019, 07:47 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I’m glad you went to the D.R. and can start working on the underlying issues. It’s definitely not easy to share the most intimate aspects of yourself to a stranger, but it is so important to do so for the healing to begin.

You were very brave and should be proud of yourself.
Old 06-28-2019, 07:50 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Giving up is NOT an option.

So glad to hear that you had a good appointment. And extremely happy to hear that you are getting the help you need. I have a friend right now who is convinced he's going to die of this disease because he is too proud to get help. He might be right. There's nothing wrong or shameful about getting help. It's the most responsible thing to do, and 100% necessary for most of us.

I hope this is the thing you need to stop the cycle and get off the merry-go-round.
Old 06-28-2019, 01:41 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

That's good it down a lot of people don't have that option and you see the end result read about in the newspaper death not good one day at a time
Old 07-02-2019, 06:01 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

We all stumble on our road to recovery. I’ve quit many times, only to start drinking again.

This quit I enlisted the help of therapist and made myself accountable to a doctor. Totally honest and vulnerable. It’s proven to be the best gift that I have ever given myself.

Be honest, fight for you, make the changes and you will see tremendous progress.

Life is a long and hard road. We NEED helpers along the way to help us navigate the bumps in the road. Some helpers stay forever, some a short while, but their help is immeasurable and a necessity to keep going down the road. I’m rooting for you.
Old 07-02-2019, 11:17 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

So glad the appointment went well, and you have some answers. How are you feeling today? What have you been doing this week to help support your recovery?