Notices

Day 14 - feels like months

Old 06-25-2019, 06:40 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day 14 - feels like months

Today marks two weeks. The days are so unbelievably long when you aren't blitzed all the time. Proud in a way, extremely bored in another. Feeling healthier, emotionally flat, just not sure what to do now.
Two weeks used to feel like two days when I was drinking. Particularly in the last few months before I stopped. It was for various reasons, breakup, job loss, financial woes, and some family issues on the other side of the world, and I had doubled my intake.
They could be called triggers. But the trigger for most of these so-called triggers was alcohol.
Old 06-25-2019, 07:06 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Congrats on 2 weeks. There sure is a lot more time in the day when we quit drinking. Time to fill the time with hobbies, activities, or whatever brings you peace and pleasure.
Old 06-25-2019, 07:21 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

It worked for me to fill up those days and nights with whatever it takes except drinking. It works. Soon becomes a habit and a good one at that. Do it even if you feel flat.
Old 06-25-2019, 07:28 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Callas View Post
It worked for me to fill up those days and nights with whatever it takes except drinking. It works. Soon becomes a habit and a good one at that. Do it even if you feel flat.
The first week I felt so terrible I binged watch TV series. Which could fill hours and did a lot of cleaning.
Outdoor activities are a bit of a hard slog at the moment because it is extremely hot here. A little too hot when you still feel your system is normalising itself.
Old 06-25-2019, 07:35 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Congratulations on 2 weeks of sobriety.
Old 06-25-2019, 07:36 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Atlast9999 View Post
Congrats on 2 weeks. There sure is a lot more time in the day when we quit drinking. Time to fill the time with hobbies, activities, or whatever brings you peace and pleasure.
I'm figuring that out. And trying to remember what exactly I did at age 32 before vodka stole the following five years from me. Career I suppose and how to rebuild it first. Carefully choosing who to try and mend fences with and who not to (ie the drinkers). Recognising triggers that people who don't have a problem with alcohol would deal with without leading them to drink and therefore are not a reason or excuse for me to. And so on...
Old 06-25-2019, 07:39 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Anna View Post
Congratulations on 2 weeks of sobriety.
Thank you it feels like the worst part is behind me now. Relief.

​​​​​​However, being mindful that I cannot be lulled into a false sense of security.
Old 06-25-2019, 07:50 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

During the week, I do the same things, at the same times, every single day. It's my routine, and keeps me disciplined. Sure, I get bored at times, but that's what my weekends are for.
Old 06-25-2019, 08:39 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by WhoDeyPI View Post
During the week, I do the same things, at the same times, every single day. It's my routine, and keeps me disciplined. Sure, I get bored at times, but that's what my weekends are for.
It is a good idea I think, and also takes the edge what can be a stressful world. Digital overload is something that stresses me greatly. When people decide to message you with very little to say. But it is across multiple platforms and apps. And people get offended if you don't reply immediately. But I have Facebook messenger, Instagram messenger, WhatsApp, Viber, Telegram, email and a couple of others. Sober or drunk it actually annoys the hell out of sounds small but I lose patience with it very quickly.
Old 06-25-2019, 09:40 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

When I decided to chose sobriety, I immediately had a routine. I get up earlier, I get the dog walked, make breakfast, clean dishes, get ready for work,etc.
when I get home it's more of the same but it's good because it keeps me busy then later by the time I'm sitting down to chill, watch the TV for a bit, I know I'm tired and ready for bed so drinking is just not an idea that will fit into this routine. At no point in my drinking was I ever able to be up at 6 am and out of the house at 6.15 with the dog.
Old 06-25-2019, 10:24 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Adventurer

Right now you are dreading how long the days are and the boredom you used to fill in by drinking. Get some sober time built up and you will begin to clearly understand just how much time you wasted over the years drunk, for me it was staggering. Now every sober moment, bored or not is a blessing to be savored.
Old 06-25-2019, 10:33 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Strugglingto View Post
Thank you it feels like the worst part is behind me now. Relief.

​​​​​​However, being mindful that I cannot be lulled into a false sense of security.
That's been my downfall in the past, the sense of security that I was in control and that I could go back to having a drink or two.

I think it takes a long time to find new things to do. I've got lots going on at the weekends but at times I'm bored. I'm coming to terms with the fact that I have to make new plans. The whole process takes longer than I had thought. It's not quite the "I stopped drinking and my life is now so amazing" story that I've read so often. But at the end of the day boredom beats a raging hangover!
Old 06-25-2019, 03:19 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Administrator

2 weeks is great strugglingto - and it will get better from here
Well done

D