Notices

In Recovery and Recovered

Old 06-10-2019, 03:28 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Imma change my answers to what Ghostlight and DriGuy said They both elaborate on what my very short answer means- and especially what GL said, I thought about it and in general, yep, I just say I'm an alcoholic (if people don't already know). NBD.
Old 06-10-2019, 03:52 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by August252015 View Post
Imma change my answers to what Ghostlight and DriGuy said They both elaborate on what my very short answer means- and especially what GL said, I thought about it and in general, yep, I just say I'm an alcoholic (if people don't already know). NBD.
Thank you August. It's kind of awkward for me to say to someone, 'I'm in recovery' rather than I don't drink or I'm an alcoholic.
It's complicated. Or maybe I'm just making it that way.
Old 06-10-2019, 05:22 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  
waking down

Based on the definitions below I would say I'm recovered, but that doesn't mean I couldn't get lost again...

Adj. 1. recovered - freed from illness or injury; "the patient appears cured"; "the incision is healed"; "appears to be entirely recovered"; "when the recovered patient tries to remember what occurred during his delirium"- Normon Cameron
cured, healed
well - in good health especially after having suffered illness or injury; "appears to be entirely well"; "the wound is nearly well"; "a well man"; "I think I'm well; at least I feel well"
2. recovered - found after being lost
found - come upon unexpectedly or after searching; "found art"; "the lost-and-found department"
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.
Old 06-10-2019, 05:39 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

To the general public, I just say I don't drink. Doesn't matter why.

For myself, though, I haven't forgotten--and I won't let myself forget--that I'm an alcoholic. Recovered alcoholic, yes. Cured? No.

I'm so far away from the insanity that I suffered from while drinking and so far away from the struggles of early sobriety that I don't like to think of myself as recovering. I'm a happy, cheerful person who on the outside seems perfectly "normal."

But I know that one drink would unleash the monster and I don't know if I could get sober again. So the "recovered" is with knowledge that I can't ever forget where I came from.

I don't argue or worry about what other people call themselves. As long as you're happy, it's ok with me! But I often learn from other people's experience, so I enjoy the discussion.

It was helpful to me to know that people could get past the constant craving and worry. And it also helped me to know that occasionally having the "drinking thought" or "drinking dream" was normal, too. (I still get those very randomly, but they don't last and I don't act on them.)

Old 06-10-2019, 06:17 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

I didn't read any of the replies because I think the answer is personal....When I had 8 years sober I said I was RECOVERED from alcohol....and a lot of AA people did not like that...but I don't care...after 8 years....to me I was "recovered"....

Now I think I should have said in "REMISSION" from alcohol....because I drank again....and have been on and off for the last 5 years....so at the moment...I am 12 days in remission....I'm saying that at my next meeting...LOL....
Old 06-10-2019, 07:29 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

This thread is super interesting! Cool to see everyone’s perspectives on it. Just gonna add a little more to what I originally said.

What I say to the outside public vs how I view myself are v different. So I personally say I’m in recovery. I will be in recovery forever. But to everyone else, I don’t drink will suffice.

I think there’s a lot of nuance to this topic and I think it’s very personal. I couldn’t care what other people say about themselves. All that matters is me and my sobriety. Perhaps my view will change with more sober time and I will see myself as fully “recovered” but to me it sounds like I am no longer an alcoholic, which just isn’t true.

So maybe I also agree with Ghostlight, haha. Semantics. All that matters is that we don’t drink, and never forget the reason why.
Old 06-10-2019, 08:47 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

I think the words mean different things for different people - totally fair enough and I respect other people’s usage.

I am now 100% certain I cannot drink alcohol. I don’t need to be ‘cured’ of that because it’s a not problem. It simply means I have to abstain from something which is devastatingly damaging to me but is on balance harmful even in small quantities to ‘normal’ drinkers. Getting there was really tough in early recovery but with time the desire to drink has gone.

My understanding of term ‘alcoholic’ is someone who is like me unable to drink but continues to do so anyway - like I used to. I feel ‘recovered’ from that. While I’m alert to the risks of a left-field out-of-the-blue relapse, I honestly don’t think that will happen. A few years ago, after many years of sobriety, some traumatic things happened and drinking never occurred to me.

Likewise I know you can never be complacent. To be honest though I think the risks of relapse are less than other random mental of physical health things that could hit me. In my mid 50s I’m in reality more likely in future to get dementia or cancer. For abstinence, like other heath things, I continue to do preventative things. Exercise for instance was a big part of my alcohol recovery, still is for ongoing stress management and protective against other health problems. And of course I continue to learn and become a more rounded, ‘better’ person, that certainly is a work in progress and I guess always will be.

So I know can no more drink than could take her heroine or crack cocaine without quickly hitting serious problems - but don’t consider myself an alcoholic any more than I would a heroine addict.

As I say though, just my take, no more or less valid than anyone else’s.
Old 06-10-2019, 10:28 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

The book AA talks of getting recovered from alcoholism. I am recovered from alcoholism on a daily basis but will always be an alcoholic. To each their own on this one but yeah there is no compulsion to drink alcohol today and I am in a sane, rationale, serene state of being so recovered from when I was not during active alcoholism and before the step 9 promises materialised 🙏
Old 06-11-2019, 05:29 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Ghostlight1 View Post
Thank you August. It's kind of awkward for me to say to someone, 'I'm in recovery' rather than I don't drink or I'm an alcoholic.
It's complicated. Or maybe I'm just making it that way.
Right, there is nothing wrong with brevity out in the real world. Especially, when people are not capable of understanding the nuance of the subject. They don't need lectures or semantic descriptions, or definitions of terms. "I don't drink. I'm an alcoholic," says all that they need to know.

The more complicated nuance is fine in closed groups of alcoholics as they struggle to make sense of themselves, but it doesn't need to be that involved in most social circles.
Old 06-11-2019, 06:19 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

I'm going to add something here. Well, maybe it's 2 somethings.

One- semantics are very important - TO ME. By this I mean that my crazy alcoholic mind played games for soooo long with "what I was." Focusing on that, and what I always share about being determined to know my WHY, only served to keep me drinking. So in recovery, some may say it doesn't matter (and that's cool) but I am particular about words. Y'all know I always say....slip is simply not a word that's acceptable. To me.

I mean the above quite adamantly because I indeed subscribe to the words of the BB: "cunning, baffling, powerful." Acceptance goes to what I am, which is an alcoholic. I can't let a "change in verbiage" become a mind game that insidiously cracks my program.

Also. I have begun participating publicly (ie sharing my story on blogs and podcasts and IG and so on) in the parallel discussion I believe needs to happen: on the non-alcoholic choices for sobriety. I need to support BOTH streams because we are the minority but not drinking is a life and death choice for us; for the majority, choosing sobriety can be the key to a better, healthier, happier life. These are different conversations, but have overlapping rewards.

Peace - Alcoholic August
Old 06-11-2019, 07:09 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  
Giving up is NOT an option.

Good stuff here. I particularly like what WeThinkNot said - about recovery not being about booze anymore. I don't drink, have no desire to drink, and for that reason I guess I could say I am "recovered" from that period in my life.

But my definition of recovery goes deeper than that - I am recovering my self at this point. Becoming the best me possible, through daily work on my words, behaviors, deeds. Learning to be present in the moment, and thinking of the needs of others. Setting goals. Doing the next right thing every day. I can honestly say this is the very best part of my life so far, and recovery from alcohol got me here. For that I am grateful every day. So maybe I am both - recovered and recovering.
Old 06-11-2019, 08:08 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  

I'm really getting a lot out of all the posts! The different views of how it is to be sober, how you got there and what keeps you there are very positive and uplifting
Old 06-11-2019, 08:11 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by least View Post
I consider myself to be recovered, in the same sense of being recovered from a gunshot wound. I've recovered from it but that does not make me bullet proof. If I drink again, I'll be right back in the mess I was in and I don't want to go there.
This is a great metaphor. Thanks least
Old 06-11-2019, 09:04 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  

https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums...ml#post4630390 (When does a "recovering" alcoholic become a "recovered" alcoholic?)

whole older thread here.
i go with post #12, along Robby's view.