Notices

It’s been a long time.

Old 05-28-2019, 05:25 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

It’s been a long time.

Its been a long time since I posted on here but I do come here often and read stories . But an update on me . I’ve been sober for 32 days and smoke free . But in this time has been a lot of grief and loss . I lost my aunt then 3 weeks later my father to liver cirrhosis. I will be burrying my father the end of this week and it hurts . He just went so fast. But in this time of pain I haven’t drank . What is crazy is seeing him dieng in the hospital made me want to drink just to forget but I just kept reminding myself the pain will still be there tomorrow. I plan to never drink again after seeing what this disease can do first hand . It took my father away from me . And it won’t take anything else . Anyone who is struggling please get the help you need . Life is to short to live in misery.
Old 05-28-2019, 06:04 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

foryoumyson.

I am so sorry about your father and aunt. The disease of alcoholism took my father at the age of 54, my brother at the age of 53, two of my nephews are in jail again, alcohol and drug related, and my son just got out of rehab 90 days ago. This is a brutal, ugly disease if left untreated.

Congratulations on 32 days sober. I will pray for you, that may find comfort and peace of mind in your sobriety.
Old 05-28-2019, 06:08 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Foryou - I'm so glad you decided to post. I'm very sorry for the painful time you're going through. Well done on your 32 sober days. Things are going to get better.
Old 05-28-2019, 06:13 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I'm sorry for your losses but glad you stayed sober.
Old 05-28-2019, 06:29 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thank you for the update, foryoumyson.

I'm so very sorry for your losses.

Staying sober was very wise and you are right, life can be painful at times. Drinking only exacerbates that pain.

Great job on 32 days, alcohol and tobacco free.
Old 05-28-2019, 07:20 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm very sorry for your losses foryoumyson. It gladdens my heart to see you're still sober tho - thats terrific news

D
Old 05-28-2019, 07:29 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

So glad you stayed sober during this painful time. Life is hard enough without alcohol to make things worse. I am so sorry for your loss. Please come here as often as you need for support.
Old 05-29-2019, 05:02 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thanks for all the responses and I’m saddened hearing about your losses too due to alchoholism as well . This hasn’t been easy but staying sober is the best thing to do.
Old 05-29-2019, 05:04 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I'm so sorry, foryoumyson - and so glad you are still here and sober and with us. Take care of yourself.
Old 05-29-2019, 07:09 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

What is unbelievable is you become a different person when you are sober . My whole mindset has changed in this short period of time . I like who I am sober . A big thing with me was not being able to look in the mirror. But I can now say I can look in the mirror with a big smile .
Old 05-29-2019, 08:06 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

foryoumyson.

Yes, you most definitely are a different person when you are sober, a person with hope.

I hear you on not being able to look in the mirror. I was so filled with shame, remorse, and guilt that I couldn't do that either. My sponsor constantly reminded me that I wasn't that person anymore.

Keep on smiling, you've earned it.
Old 05-29-2019, 08:24 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by foryoumyson View Post
What is unbelievable is you become a different person when you are sober . My whole mindset has changed in this short period of time . I like who I am sober . A big thing with me was not being able to look in the mirror. But I can now say I can look in the mirror with a big smile .
Me too
Old 05-29-2019, 07:06 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Condolences on the loss of your father and aunt. That must be extra difficult early in sobriety.

. I like who I am sober . A big thing with me was not being able to look in the mirror. But I can now say I can look in the mirror with a big smile .
Strange coincidence -- just a few minutes before I read this thread, I noticed myself in the mirror and liked what I saw for the first time in a while. I realized that I had been avoiding looking at myself in the mirror for (months? years?). Nice to know there are others with similar issues. Thanks!