Notices

Tired of Public Acceptance of Alcohol

Old 05-26-2019, 11:45 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  
dcg
D♭7♭9♯9♯11♭13

I'd be a hypocrite if I got sanctimonious over booze now that I'm sober, especially since the vast majority of people fall into the take it or leave it crowd. I'm not going to proselytize just because I couldn't handle it. As for marketing, etc., that's just corporate entities being corporate entities. Money first. Doesn't matter if it's drugs, food, or booze.
Old 05-26-2019, 12:10 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

I can't honestly say I think of a drink when someone's on TV with one-it's just a part of a social situation unless it's drinking alone to drown sorrows and that makes me uncomfortable-my mate sent me a clip from 'ice cold in alex
' a few weeks back when it was warm and I didn't flinch-all I could think was no-I've convinced myself now that I hate the taste even though I'd probably love it !

I won't be taking that chance again. ever.
Old 05-26-2019, 01:20 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

I think its very easy to cast dispersion's on others or judge someone else's behavior. Everyone else's behavior, drinking habits or drug use has nothing to do with you and your journey of sobriety. I've said it before, sobriety can be a selfish endeavor for a period of time because you are only concerned with yourself and others are going to try and peer pressure you into "partying". Stay strong, stay sober.
Old 05-27-2019, 04:17 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by thomas11 View Post
I think its very easy to cast dispersion's on others or judge someone else's behavior. Everyone else's behavior, drinking habits or drug use has nothing to do with you and your journey of sobriety. I've said it before, sobriety can be a selfish endeavor for a period of time because you are only concerned with yourself and others are going to try and peer pressure you into "partying". Stay strong, stay sober.
absolutely! If I’m not careful, I’ll be running around taking everyone’s inventory but my own. Easy to get caught up in that and negative thinking. Thanks.
Old 05-27-2019, 04:22 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

^^^I dunno, I kinda like to think the ubiquitous martinis on Mad Men were real
Old 05-27-2019, 04:23 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by bunnezjp View Post
If you don't like the show's content then don't watch it

~Bunnez
seems obvious, doesn’t it?!

But the show came highly recommended to me and I wasn’t going to let one line in the first episode deter me from watching it. And I DID enjoy the content!

Besides, I’m not a “xanax zombie mom.” But I was an alcoholic train-wreck mom.

Glad to be sober now.
Old 05-27-2019, 05:18 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

I just read that you finished all 10 episodes in less than two days. Atta Girl!!

I wish I could finish Bloodline. It triggers my conscience in some deep dark way that I can't quite put my finger on and I can't watch it any more. Dead to Me was Bloodline lite. Maybe because it was female-centered and I didn't feel as threatened by that.
Old 05-27-2019, 09:58 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by WhoDeyPI View Post
I think it's important to take a step back and look at things from a neutral point of view.

I abuse alcohol. The majority of people drink socially, and don't abuse alcohol.

Some people abuse prescription medication. I use medication as directed and when needed.

Some people are addicted to eating. I eat when I'm hungry.
This.
Old 05-31-2019, 10:13 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by DriGuy View Post
Our social environment is such a blaze of conflicting, contradictory, and mutually exclusive events, that making sense out of it is difficult. Why is it so difficult? Well, because the reality is that it doesn't make much sense, which puts the burden back on us to make the best choices for ourselves that we can.

The media is especially devious and thoughtless in this regard with outright advertising or product placements in movies for things that are useless or harmful. The corporate world knowingly manufactures harmful things that the media advertises.

I actually get a kick out of those deceptive beer commercials that show young healthy people, with bikini clad nubiles joyfully playing volleyball on the beach. For reasons that escape me, they don't show middle aged losers slipping off their bar stools as they lean over into someones face and thump a finger in their chest, while giving them a good talking to, complete with slurred words and accidental slobber drooling down their chins.

Our own welfare requires we resist believing everything we see or hear in the world around us.
I couldn't agree more with respect to your observations on how the Madison Ave. advertising industrial complex portrays drinking.

I have always joked that the later days of my drinking career didn't include a bunch of hard-bodied young women who wanted me to go wind-surfing with them.

It included, for me, neon lights in smokey dive bars and disappointed and pissed off partners, clients, bankers, wife (now ex), friends, etc.
Old 05-31-2019, 01:50 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  
No Dogma Please

Yes, that's how drinking looks to an alcoholic.

Not necessarily how it looks to a "normal" drinker.

Let's face it, at some point nearly everyone's life bears no resemblance to going windsurfing with buff young people.

I remember this parody of beer commercials on SNL from years ago.