Notices

Starting Over

Old 05-21-2019, 07:45 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Starting Over

Hello everyone, Im starting over again after a bender..... im embarrassed to keep coming back here after yet another bender. But I feel isolated and demoralized ...I had 28 days now im just coming off a 3 day bender filled with wine and voldka and no food been on this site for almost 2 years and still struggling so much, I called of off work yesterday and will have to go in tonight otherwise I probably wont have a job anymore.... I flaked on other obligations ill have to address pretty soon as well. I need some support, please send me encouragement without harsh words, Im going to an AA meeting today if someone could direct message me with support I would really appreciate it. Thanks
Old 05-21-2019, 07:58 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I'm sorry you're suffering today, I've been there more times than I can count. I was also a binge drinker, a daily drinker, and a chronic relapser. I would get several months (4,6,8) of sobriety under my belt, only to return to the madness of drinking. I had to stop! I had to WANT sobriety.

If I can do this, you can do it! Get more support, ask for help here before you drink.
Old 05-21-2019, 08:01 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Sweetipie, above all, be kind to yourself today. Recovery is a struggle and many of us took time to get it right. The main thing is that you're back here and working on your sobriety again.
Old 05-21-2019, 10:41 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

We have all been there, don’t beat yourself up, just start again good luck
Old 05-21-2019, 11:03 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Ocean Lover!

Last year in April I managed to get 30 days, longest I had had in years and due to a situation I won’t go into detail on I got too overwhelmed and went on a bender for a week. I restarted my clock on 11th of June and in 3 weeks I will have a year sober! If I can do it you can too, all is not lost and remember it’s not about how many times you fall but how many times you get back up and continue to fight! It’s absolutely possible for you, you just need to believe in yourself and make sobriety your no 1 priority xx
Old 05-21-2019, 11:09 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thank you Mantalady, trying to collect myself at the moment. Your words are helpful, thanks for reaching out.
Old 05-21-2019, 01:31 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

good for you on getting back here AND making attending an AA meeting a priority. regardless of which program we choose, they all have the same baseline - do not drink no matter what. once we let go of the notion of "just one more" or "i totally deserve this" and accept that alcohol is no longer part of our lives, PERIOD, continuous sobriety comes a bit more easily.

if we lock and bolt the front door of our home, but leave the back door standing ajar, then we have not created a secure perimeter. recovery is the same thing - if we don't have all the latches, locks and bolts engaged, we might as well just leave the windows wide open.

be good to yourself in these first few days. do the next wise thing.
Old 05-21-2019, 02:07 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Acknowledge what triggered you so you're ready for it if it strikes again. Don't give up. You're making good choices by being here and asking for support. You can do this.
Old 05-22-2019, 09:20 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I made it to an AA meeting yesterday and today, and received a list of sponsors Im going to call and get a hold of, someone to start working the steps. Im very emotionally beat up right now and embarrassed.... but im going to try again I hope it sticks this time. Thank you everyone who direct messaged me and talked to me in the chat room, you helped tremendously Im going to actively use this sight in my recovery.... Im still trying.
Old 05-22-2019, 09:39 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome back sweetiepie
be your own best friend and call some of those numbers...and keep posting here

D
Old 05-23-2019, 11:59 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Hi Sweetie:
Succumbing to the very nature of our problem is no reason for shame or your own arse kicking (or anyone else's here for that matter IMO). In arresting this problem, disorder, disease, bad habit....whatever the hell you want to call it can be perhaps as much an enigma as the issue itself. Who knows what occurs within when we finally say "enough" and can truly start stringing along momentum that surprises our own self. Surrendering to our own exasperated acknowledgment that " no, we don't got this...we don't have it under control ..and we cannot quit anytime we like" is a huge part of finding some sobriety answers. Everyone here certainly understands how difficult this beast is to subdue.

We're all here together in this.
Old 05-23-2019, 02:05 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by sweetiepie32 View Post
I made it to an AA meeting yesterday and today, and received a list of sponsors Im going to call and get a hold of, someone to start working the steps. Im very emotionally beat up right now and embarrassed.... but im going to try again I hope it sticks this time. Thank you everyone who direct messaged me and talked to me in the chat room, you helped tremendously Im going to actively use this sight in my recovery.... Im still trying.
I never was a bender kind of guy. I was more of a drink all the time kind of guy, so I don't know what it's like to come off a bender cause I was always on one really.

Try to look at things more positively. I know it is hard. It's good that you are embarrassed and distraught. It means that you know what you are doing is destructive and want to change. Use those emotions to your advantage. Remember how you feel in this moment and use them as a deterrent when you want to drink again.

It is very difficult and takes a lot of work to change but it is very possible. You can do it but you have to be honest with yourself and truly want to make the change.
Old 05-23-2019, 02:44 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Sweetiepie - I'm very glad you came back. I had a few day ones - but the last time stuck. Be proud of yourself for never giving up on a better life.
Old 05-23-2019, 04:44 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Glad you are attending meetings and happy you made it through that tough work day!