Notices

Feeling the illness

Old 05-20-2019, 10:13 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Sick n tired

Feeling the illness

Coming on 7 weeks. Feeling the illness these last few days. Thinking of old resentments how much I have lost, terrible mistakes I made etc etc. There is so much I want to achieve get my career back, but a property and make some friends get a social life on and on goes my head. Thinking it’s to late I’m to old etc. Know this is my illness trying to get me and also having trouble thinking I may pick up again although last thing I want. Just want to feel better and to move forwards in life
Old 05-20-2019, 10:27 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

7 weeks is great eve keep going, you can still achieve everything you want to, believe in yourself.
Old 05-20-2019, 10:51 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Eve, I didn't believe it when people on here told me that it will get better - you will start seeing things in a more positive way - but it is TRUE.

At 7 weeks I was very depressed and despondent - but just hold on, carry on, and you will be pleasantly surprised at the outcome.

You can do this, and you can still make many of your dreams come true.

Hugs.
Old 05-20-2019, 10:53 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

And working through your past mistakes and resentments is part of the journey of recovery - and actually very important to do. It is part of the healing process.
Old 05-21-2019, 01:34 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Try and be patient Eve - you're on the right road. You'll be OK so long as you stay sobe.

Things started to look a ,lot better to me at about 12 weeks - hang in there

D
Old 05-21-2019, 02:45 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Originally Posted by eve123 View Post
Coming on 7 weeks. Feeling the illness these last few days. Thinking of old resentments how much I have lost, terrible mistakes I made etc etc.
Don't let hanging on to the past hamper your progress moving forward. Seven weeks is awesome. Keep going.
Old 05-21-2019, 05:08 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Glad you are here and 7 wks is fantastic!

Are you working any kind of recovery program? Plenty of options and one is AA which is mine. It takes time and patience (who has that?!) and both effort and patience with ourselves.

And as for age, well, I was 39 and most definitely had big 'things' about what I had not accomplished and where I wasn't in life compared to 'everyone else.' Took time to get past that and here on 'this side' in my 4th yr of sobriety everything in my life is different than I would have thought, and much better than I could have imagined when I quit (and certainly before) yet also totally different than I'd have told you it would be in my 40s!

And, as Dee said, it was a bit further for me when I felt a big and notable shift forward in lots of ways- around 100 days. Ups and downs and all those feelings take more time for sure, but it does get so much better.

Keep going.
Old 05-21-2019, 05:53 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

Eve, it's definitely a mental challenge. The disease does want to keep you down and hooked. But, being aware and trying to focus on the positive can help you get through that.