Notices

Scarred of being kicked out of AA

Old 05-20-2019, 09:32 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Scarred of being kicked out of AA

Hi
im a person who isolates in their own body. I go into AA and say nothing to no one and no one says nothing to me. Im alcoholic and have the desire to stop drinking and also my disconnected nature seems to upset the other members. I feel powerless over this behaviour.
Old 05-20-2019, 10:03 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hello and welcome.
I rarely spoke in AA, either. I just absorbed what others were saying that I could relate to.
Don't worry, you can't get kicked out.
Maybe call the AA number in the phone book and see if anyone would like to take you to a meeting? That way you'd meet someone. That's what I did.
I wouldn't worry. I would just keep going. I got sober through osmosis. Just listening.
After I showed up enough times I got used to it. Not speaking, that is. And I think the group got used to me.
Also, maybe you could ask someone you think is nice to be your sponsor.

I feel for you. I am the same way. I also isolate in my own mind. So I think I know how you feel.
Use this place for support, too.
Others will be along to answer better than me. But best to you.
You have the desire to stop drinking so you're off to a good start.
Old 05-20-2019, 10:24 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

The only requirement for membership is a desire to stop drinking.
Old 05-20-2019, 10:28 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

The only thing that could 'get you kicked out' is bad behavior, aggressive/fighting type behavior. And it's correct, the only requirement for membership is the desire to stop drinking.
Old 05-20-2019, 10:35 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

You can always talk here my friend.
Old 05-21-2019, 01:38 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcoem disconnectedsoul

Like others have said, I've never heard of people getting kicked out of an AA group - you'd have to be pretty mad bad and dangerous to know...

and even then you could find another group and another meeting

welcome to SR

D
Old 05-21-2019, 04:16 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by DisconectedSoul View Post
Hi
im a person who isolates in their own body. I go into AA and say nothing to no one and no one says nothing to me. Im alcoholic and have the desire to stop drinking and also my disconnected nature seems to upset the other members. I feel powerless over this behaviour.
do you want to stop being disconnected?
disconnected isnt a persons nature. its something learned.
Old 05-21-2019, 04:35 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Glad you are sharing here. It can be really hard to open up - I'm very outgoing and I was not about to make friends at first....and, I had to realize that other people very likely weren't thinking about me at all. I promise, it seems much worse to us than anyone else- so much is stuff in my head, for sure.

Most importantly, you are there for you, right? Not sure how long you have been going but it is totally ok to go and sit. I've only seen a few people get suspended or banned from clubhouses or meetings here - and it's for extreme stuff.

My suggestion is what you'll hear in meetings- keep coming back. It's one place we really can come just as we are and in my experience it becomes much more than worth it.
Old 05-21-2019, 05:21 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

//do you want to stop being disconnected?
disconnected isnt a persons nature. its something learned.//

This isn't really true. This person may be quiet as part of their nature and have social anxiety disorder.
Old 05-21-2019, 05:52 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

Try to not stress about being kicked out of AA and use the meetings as a place to absorb stories from others. You are who you are and that's enough.
Old 05-21-2019, 10:14 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I don't think a person can be kicked out since there is no leadership structure. I see all different walks of life in the rooms. Even intoxicated people aren't told to leave. All the same struggle we share.
Old 05-21-2019, 11:16 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

At my NA meetings there were many quite people. I think it has a lot to do with the personality. Some are shy some more outspoken. Like myself I cant shut up and easily talk to anybody about everything. The whole point of going is to get connected. Perhaps give it time and you will open up and "click" with someone. Just going and putting a face to addiction is so important. The rooms also have an air/atmosphere that brings peace I think. Just keep going back.