Notices

A word of caution

Old 04-21-2019, 02:12 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

A word of caution

I have been reading on this site for a while. I had an almost daily drinking habit. I would say 2 to 3 glasses of wine a day with more on weekends. I then got into a relationship with someone who doesn't drink so i switched to vodka to "hide" it. I kept the totals about the same equivalent amount .
Fast forward a couple years and a few times of being caught drinking, i began my journey with soberity.
The past 4 or 5 months have been mainly 20-30 days sober and 3-4 (binge) drinking. So you could say i was improving and my totals had gone down.
Then one weekend i binged and stopped cold turkey again as i had many times before. I actually felt really good, thinking this withdrawal was going to be an easy one.
On day 2 of withdrawal i was happily working in the yard. I took a small break, poured a glass of water, then looked up to find myself on the ground with paramedics working on me and a trip to the hospital.
Yep, it happened, that seizure people warn about. I never even considered the possibility. I thought you had to be much more ill or drink more and more often.
i am not trying to scare anyone. Just wanting to make sure others like myself know it is a real possibility and the advice of getting a medical detox, although intimidating, might just be the less scary option.
I had zero warning this was coming on, it's terrifying to think it could have happened while driving.
Old 04-21-2019, 02:26 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Apri,

I'm glad you're okay. And, it's good to be reminded that withdrawing from alcohol is unpredictable and can be dangerous.
Old 04-21-2019, 02:31 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

When I felt so weak and just "off" and became concerned about driving even if had not been drinking that day I knew I needed to stop, get well and cut it out for good.

it was taking a horrible toll on every aspect of my life
Old 04-21-2019, 02:38 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Apri - Thank you so much for the valuable information & for sharing what happened to you. To think that could happen with no warning is frightening.
Old 04-21-2019, 03:22 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thank you for solidifying my commitment to never drink again.
I'm sorry that happened to you.
Old 04-21-2019, 03:40 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I did a medical detox and was warned about the dangers of alcohol withdrawal and why I was in the right place. I had no problems and after three days left but I was glad I did it that way because it gave me access to a Psychiatrist.
Old 04-21-2019, 04:51 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm glad you're OK apri - welcome to SR

D
Old 04-22-2019, 12:40 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I could have written this post. 6 days ago I woke up in a hospital after suffering 2 seizures. Thankfully, my husband and what seems like the entire neighborhood was around to help when I went down. I thought I was doing great, I was on day 2, had no intentions of stopping permanently, just thought I'd take a few days off. I had no idea that I should be tapering, because I wasn't feeling ANY withdrawal symptoms. I came here to post about it, but found your post instead. I, like you, never even considered the possibility, I thought my body would warn me. Glad you are ok, good luck on the rest of your recovery.
Old 04-22-2019, 01:01 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Glad you are okay.
Old 04-22-2019, 07:55 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

That's terrifying, I hope you are doing ok right now.

A very strong reminder that there is absolutely no need to drink, in small quantities, in time periods, or at all.
Old 04-23-2019, 05:31 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Thank you all for the well wishes!
I am doing great. That was a terrifying day to be sure, but might have been the final sign i needed to stop forever.
The correlation between booze and ambulance are cemented in my brain.
There nothing worth taking that risk ever.