View Single Post
Old 04-21-2019, 02:12 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Apri

A word of caution

I have been reading on this site for a while. I had an almost daily drinking habit. I would say 2 to 3 glasses of wine a day with more on weekends. I then got into a relationship with someone who doesn't drink so i switched to vodka to "hide" it. I kept the totals about the same equivalent amount .
Fast forward a couple years and a few times of being caught drinking, i began my journey with soberity.
The past 4 or 5 months have been mainly 20-30 days sober and 3-4 (binge) drinking. So you could say i was improving and my totals had gone down.
Then one weekend i binged and stopped cold turkey again as i had many times before. I actually felt really good, thinking this withdrawal was going to be an easy one.
On day 2 of withdrawal i was happily working in the yard. I took a small break, poured a glass of water, then looked up to find myself on the ground with paramedics working on me and a trip to the hospital.
Yep, it happened, that seizure people warn about. I never even considered the possibility. I thought you had to be much more ill or drink more and more often.
i am not trying to scare anyone. Just wanting to make sure others like myself know it is a real possibility and the advice of getting a medical detox, although intimidating, might just be the less scary option.
I had zero warning this was coming on, it's terrifying to think it could have happened while driving.