Notices

Night sweats

Old 03-19-2019, 06:07 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Night sweats

Well I made it to day three. Yes, it’s morning but it feels great not to have a headache or feel weak. The last couple of nights I’ve had night sweats. The night before I was hot and then cold immediately. Then last night I was really clammy. I hope the withdrawal part ends very soon. Also, my eyes have been red for three days! Has anybody else experience this side effect?
Old 03-19-2019, 06:16 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Friendly Folk

Yes. It is all part of detoxing. I get major anxiety and an extremely foggy brain. I have no energy and yet, I feel like bouncing off the walls. My face gets puffy and dry. My eyes only get red from vomiting. It is the hell we go thru everytime we drink in access. I am a binge drinker. Each time I tell myself never again...until I get those cravings.
Old 03-19-2019, 06:21 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Very common. Usually cleared up within a week for me. YYMV
Old 03-19-2019, 06:35 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Takeaction View Post
Well I made it to day three. Yes, it’s morning but it feels great not to have a headache or feel weak. The last couple of nights I’ve had night sweats. The night before I was hot and then cold immediately. Then last night I was really clammy. I hope the withdrawal part ends very soon. Also, my eyes have been red for three days! Has anybody else experience this side effect?
Yes, and yes. The night sweats were the WORST for me until like day 4. I was shaking in bed, soaking wet and freezing. Had to change sheets many times a night, and by change sheets....I mean I just kept piling on dry sheets over and over. The eyes were always red as well.

You're in the thick of it my friend, but it's almost over! Those awful nights are a big reason why I'll NEVER drink again.
Old 03-19-2019, 06:56 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thanks for the reminder of where I was and never want to be again. I went through the exact same. My night sweats soaking my sheets for three nights straight. It was smelly sweat also, ugh. The nearly constant clammy skin. My eyes looked sick and red for 4 days I think. I was going to work all through it as well and felt like everyone who saw me could tell what I was. So much shame and embarrassment.

I can honestly tell you by next week things will be so much better. Just hang in there!
Old 03-19-2019, 07:13 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Used to have them all the time

Comes from detox. I had them all the time since I would drink and detox constantly. They do go away. Hang in there!
Old 03-19-2019, 07:26 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Yes, definitely had lots of night sweats though this time hasn't been quite as bad as I remember in previous attempts. Maybe yes to red eyes also...I sort of chalked it up to allergies this year but makes sense it could be withdrawal.

Hang in there!
Old 03-19-2019, 08:14 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Like others have expressed, been there, done that. I used to find some peace in the sweats as it meant I was coming out of another bender, I find much more peace in knowing I'll never have them again. Keep it moving.
Old 03-19-2019, 08:18 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

Yes, that's quite usual. You should start feeling better in a couple of days. Good job on getting to Day 3.
Old 03-19-2019, 08:32 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

My sweats would get pretty scary and I found it best to stay hydrated.
Old 03-19-2019, 08:37 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Yes, they’re awful. But they do pass.

And actually, once you quit for extended periods — if you’re like me — you will find you perspire far less in general. I used to sweat all the time, but now that I’m heathy, in better shape, sober — I never sweat through clothes even when it’s warm out.
Old 03-19-2019, 09:03 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Evoo View Post
Yes, they’re awful. But they do pass.

And actually, once you quit for extended periods — if you’re like me — you will find you perspire far less in general. I used to sweat all the time, but now that I’m heathy, in better shape, sober — I never sweat through clothes even when it’s warm out.
Now that you mention that...I actually can't remember the last time I sweat...even when working out. No complaints about that!
Old 03-19-2019, 09:48 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Never got the red eyes. I’m curious what causes that. Anyone know?
Old 03-19-2019, 10:06 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by WaterOx View Post
Never got the red eyes. I’m curious what causes that. Anyone know?
Could be a few reasons:

Lack of sleep decreases the amount of oxygen that reaches your eyes, which causes blood vessels to dilate.

Dehydration causes dry eyes, causes blood vessels to dilate.
Old 03-19-2019, 12:04 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

The red eyes are still very prominent. Visine isn’t working and I’m trying to get in a lot of fluids and sleep. I was really foggy yesterday and I can feel it decreasing today. I still have somewhat of a head change, but I think it’s still from when I fell. I can feel myself remembering more things at work. The alcohol really made me dumb! Somebody put on hand sanitizer today, and gosh it made me gag. I really want to see my full potential sober. I feel like I’ve only used 1/4 of my brain the last 10 years. Explains the relationships I’ve chosen.
Old 03-19-2019, 12:26 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Takeaction View Post
Explains the relationships I’ve chosen.
Right?!
Old 03-19-2019, 12:59 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

The night sweats were the worst. I would get up shower, drink a gatorade and change the sheets. It lasts a few nights along with the very vivid dreams. I did go to work through it. If you are like I was at work I was always wondering if my coworkers could smell the alcohol from the previous night on me and would not get very close to anyone.
Old 03-19-2019, 01:37 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Yes I would get them after I was coming out of a bender. Usually would be second or third night after I’d last had a drink, so not immediately. Horrible. My bed would literally be soaked through. Had to put a towel down to soak it all up so I could get back to sleep.

a very strong reminder about why I never went to drink again.
Old 03-19-2019, 05:24 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Detoxing is a terrible thing that makes you realize how bad drinking REALLY is for you. I like most others felt invincible that it would never catch up to me. I hope my eyes eventually become white and healthy again. Also, I am tired! My eyes become so heavy by 4:30.
Old 03-19-2019, 08:35 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Administrator

The sweats were part of withdrawal for me...things got better about a week to ten days in for me. My eyes were pretty red and rheumy too - it took a little longer for them to become white again, but they did .

D