Notices

Night sweats

Old 03-19-2019, 09:59 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

I had sweats every night. My doc, a recovered alcoholic, said my body was detoxing every night. They went away as soon as I quit.

Best to accept it for what it is, part of the recovery process. It gets better, as so many will tell you. Trust them.

Best

Warren
Old 03-20-2019, 04:15 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Like everyone has said, they were horrendous for me. I was VERY sick when I quit, and went thru a lot and for much longer than lots of folks around here were fortunate to experience.

Keeping sober was the only way to get thru it.

One thing I will add, here at 3 yrs and a few wks - thru yr two in particular, my night sweats were just horrific. Like change my shirt four times and have to put a blanket under me.... because my sound sleeping husband deserved not to be interrupted in his good night ness by me changing the whole bed

My dr and I discussed it being a frequent side effect of some meds, when I finally brought it up - if you take anything now or at some point, that's something that was important to share IME. My sleep meds are something I take rarely now as my sleep is better enough- and when I do take them, the night sweats usually re-emerge. I take my anti-depressant and other meds in the morning.

On the whole though, I'm not tortured with them any more and like the rest of my physical "issues," a far better trade than anything I experienced the last years of my drinking.

Keep going.
Old 03-21-2019, 06:42 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Day 5...no sweats

Today is day 5! I have never been this sober in so long! It’s amazing to not wake up without a headache, and feel so drab. I’m not waking up with the birds by any means, but it’s a huge change. I didn’t have sweats or feel clamy last night, and I woke up with “whiteish” eyes. I’ve always envied people with cloud whites of their eyes. Maybe in another week I’ll be there. Staying strong today.
Old 03-21-2019, 10:42 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  
Giving up is NOT an option.

Keep it going! You'll feel great in no time!

I had night sweats constantly while I was still drinking. I'd wake up at about 3 am anytime I had been drinking the night before, just drenched in sweat. I didn't have much of a withdrawal when I quit for good, because I wasn't drinking every day and had cut down some before my last night of drinking, which was less than my "usual." But I was happy that I didn't have to wake up sweaty most nights anymore. If I wake up sweaty now, it's from something else, like being sick, or the room is too warm. Normal sweating!
Old 03-21-2019, 02:43 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

I didn't always get the night sweats during the nights following a drinking binge but when I did get them they could be terrible. The most they ever lasted for me though was about 4 or 5 nights so hopefully for Takeaction they might have started to ease up by the weekend.
Old 03-21-2019, 08:12 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

This is a really good thread for me right now.

Sometimes I've had to push back my AV as it tries to paint a whitewashed view of my drinking past.

Remembering the night sweats and withdrawals brings me straight back to my commitment and why I made it to begin with.

Thanks
Old 03-21-2019, 10:10 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Ive learned a lot these last few days. I’ve learned that I’m not nor was I the only one going through this sickness. I think about what I’m going to do when the work week passes and friends want to hang out. It’s NOT like me to order an iced tea. I have to say that in the back of my mind I’m wondering if I’ll fail. I just keep thinking it will be a gateway for me to make excuses to drink alone again. I hated that girl. It was embarrassing, I felt dumb, and I went through so much physical pain! It took me 5 days to start to feel like myself. Nothing should be worth that!
Old 03-26-2019, 11:49 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Oh yeah I definitely can relate. My self detox times were horrific. The night sweats. Freezing yet sweating. It took me 4 days before I slept. Like clock work.

Hopefully you’re past all that by now. But one I’d try is propel by Gatorade. Electrolytes supposedly in it. And another thing is get a big jar of pickles and drink the juice. Your sodium levels are screwed up as well. And I couldn’t eat much either after a binge. Start out with fruit. Maybe a smoothie. God bless you.

You never have to feel,this way again
Old 03-26-2019, 12:09 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

I had night sweats for about a month and a half to two months after my last drink. Bear in mind that my last detox nearly killed me.

The fact that it took that long before the sweats subsided really drilled into my head just how badly I was destroying my body. My system was working double time trying to push all that garbage out.