Notices

Day 18 and I want a day off

Old 03-14-2019, 01:13 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day 18 and I want a day off

I'm sick of sobriety today. Sick of it. I want a day off and I know I can't have one. I wanna get drunk. So f*****g drunk I can't see straight. I wanna go to my old local boozer, have a pint of nice frothy ale then buy more beers and get smashed. Beer is what I fancy. Beer is what I want. And lots of it.

People say you should post here first so I am.
Old 03-14-2019, 01:21 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Tetrax

Great job for posting here first!! I'm on day 0 so I can't even imagine how hard it's gotta be to come here and reach out instead of giving into the addiction on a sh!tty day like today is for you.

Hang in there! I know wiser folks will be along ASAP to talk you down from the ledge. Deep breaths! You can do this!
Old 03-14-2019, 01:27 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Dont do it, i would give anything to be on day 18 now but i have literally just crawled my way through day 1, im so ill and ashamed of myself, it completely took over me this week, i have missed work, let my child down, and done no end of damage to my health i imagine, please dont drink you dont want to risk being in my place right now. Keep going 18 days is great
Old 03-14-2019, 01:33 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
nez

I am glad you posted here first. It shows that deep down inside, you don't really want to do what is screaming out to you at the moment. I can very much relate to what you are going through. I remember it like it was yesterday, although at the same time it seems like light years and another life ago.

What are reasons for not doing what is screaming out to you at the moment? Focus on your answers and the screaming will get tired and slowly turn into a whimper.
Old 03-14-2019, 01:34 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I hope you don't give in and drink. It gets better the longer you're sober. You won't always feel this way.
Old 03-14-2019, 01:35 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Cravings, as terrible as they seem now, and as insistent, have a far shorter duration than the misery that follows "a day off of sobriety." Stay strong.
Old 03-14-2019, 01:43 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Tetrax

Well done on getting to day 18. The cravings are kicking in but please don't give in to them. Perhaps a touch of boredome too? It's very common for these feelings to happen and the worse thing to do - and I've done it many times in the past - is to drink to relieve the cravings and to take away the boredom. And then it's back to day 1 again and feeling ill and remorseful once again.
Old 03-14-2019, 01:50 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Bad days come and they go tetrax. The thing is you might "want" the beer now, but you don't want what comes with it - the withdrawals, hangover, shame and who knows what else. And unfortunately you have to accept all the bad stuff to - in fact you choose the bad stuff if you decided to drink.
Old 03-14-2019, 01:53 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Tetrax,

I am only on Day 3 and am I have struggled to get to here. I am desperately fighting off intense cravings but I know if I let myself drink I will definitely regret it tomorrow.

For tonight, I am watching junk tv, eating a mix of healthy food...chocolate, sticking around here and getting to bed early.
Sounds lame but that's my plan.

18 days is great Tetrax, keep hold of that and don't let the AV convince you otherwise. Please don't wake up with regrets and a hangover tomorrow. It's not worth it, I am sure you know that.

Take care, SP
Old 03-14-2019, 01:56 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Day 18 is great! Stay strong

Think of how you will feel tomorrow if you go out and get off your face.
Every time I'm tempted to have a drink fast forward and imagine how sick and horrendous I will feel the next day. It's not worth it.. You can beat these cravings. There's no better feeling than riding out a craving and then waking up the next day feeling normal. It's so nice to wake up these days and not feel suicidal at the thought of getting through another day! As they say no one ever regrets not getting drunk!
Old 03-14-2019, 02:00 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

Tetrax, I hope you're getting through this. It really will get better.
Old 03-14-2019, 02:06 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Thank you everyone! I've taken my frustration out on my guitar. I'm surprised no strings got broken. I've made myself a cup of tea and have a movie lined up.

I think I just needed to let it out.
Old 03-14-2019, 02:12 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I didn't get sick of sobriety, I got sick of being a drunk.
And, I am one. That's what I used to do-drink. That was about my life.
There's nothing to stop you from having those mugs of beer.
That is except, tomorrow. Fear, regret, remorse and anxiety.
Is it really worth it? To throw away 18 days you worked so hard for to have a night of drunkenness. And, if you're anything like I was, it won't be one night.
It'll be another binge ending who knows when and where. Then reality. Yes, reality will rear it's ugly head as to what you've done and, like it or not, you'll have to face it or keep right on drinking.

I've been in your shoes hundreds of times. Most times I succumbed. Until alcohol beat me into submission.
I gave up and gave in alcohol had won. I surrendered and chose sobriety.
Yes it was hard. Yes I wanted to drink at times. But I was defeated.
Save yourself some misery and stay sober. Take it from a drunk whose been there.
Old 03-14-2019, 02:14 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Well done you should feel proud of yourself. One of the many reasons for my continued drinking was not reaching out on here first, something i need to change, and commit to doing and your post has shown me how successful that it.
Old 03-14-2019, 02:15 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Tetrax View Post
Thank you everyone! I've taken my frustration out on my guitar. I'm surprised no strings got broken. I've made myself a cup of tea and have a movie lined up.

I think I just needed to let it out.
Thank goodness. Good for you!
I wrote that long post worried about you and we cross-posted.
Take care of yourself, friend. It is so worth it.
Old 03-14-2019, 02:57 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Great News Tetrax, Enjoy your cuppa and the movie. SP
Old 03-14-2019, 03:05 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

tetrax, take a visit down to The Lighter Side for a while.
https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums...part-29-a.html
Old 03-14-2019, 03:17 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Awesome job man. We've all been there. Days like today will be fewer and far between the longer you're sober. Playing the take forward was and is a technique that I find incredibly helpful.
​​​
​​​​​
Old 03-14-2019, 03:33 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

You won't wake up in the morning regretting NOT going to the pub and drinking beer. I promise you
Old 03-14-2019, 03:34 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Administrator

Its good you vented Tetrax. Glad you feel better.
I guarantee you'll look back on this day and feel better still

D