Notices

Trying this again

Old 03-10-2019, 07:23 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Finalround View Post
What a great thing to read on a sober Sunday morning.

Way to go goodlife. Keep it up and you'll need to change your screen name to Greatlife!
haha I loved that, you are right once I hit the 6 month mark I may have to make that change.
Old 03-10-2019, 08:44 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Good stuff man. Keep it up. Congrats.
Old 03-17-2019, 06:36 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

I am happy to report that I’m 3 weeks sober today. I feel great. Very clear headed, and confident about the future. The booze turns be into a anxiety/depression filled infant, that is incapable of complaining simple tasks... I feel as I can accomplish anything while sober.

I have been attending weekly counselor sessions which has been helpful. I need to keep telling myself that “ I can not drink safely “. If I do, things will get out of control. I will start craving cocaine, black out, spend thousands of dollars on women, drive unbelievabley fast in my car, and my wife will probably divorce me. If I’m lucky enough not to die, I’ll wake up with a hangover that takes 3 days to clear. I will throw up fora day, and be filled with dread, depression, and anxiety. This is why I can’t drink. Not even one.

Even though I know all this, I feel as my brain is having doubts. How can I attend future work socials without drinking? How can I attend party’s or other events without drinking? This is what I need to figure out. I may start going to AA for additional support.

Thanks for listening to me everyone... I find it helpful to get my thoughts out here.
Old 03-17-2019, 01:26 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by GoodLife32 View Post

Even though I know all this, I feel as my brain is having doubts. How can I attend future work socials without drinking? How can I attend party’s or other events without drinking? This is what I need to figure out. I may start going to AA for additional support.

Thanks for listening to me everyone... I find it helpful to get my thoughts out here.
You will figure that out...over time. The answers will not come immediately, nor will the cravings go away immediately. But they will.

When I first got sober, I declined all invites. No work socials (none...there is always an excuse you can use to get out of them), no parties, no holiday dinners, nothing. Instead, I put all my energy into healing, and recovery, and learning, and exercising, and relearning how to live. After a few months, I had learned more about myself than I had over the previous few years. At that point, I began to reintroduce social events. They were hit or miss at first, but progressively got easier. They will for you too. Keep at it!