Notices

6 moths sober yesterday - completely forgot

Old 02-28-2019, 02:00 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

6 moths sober yesterday - completely forgot

So, yesterday was my six month anniversary of being sober. And I completely forgot. Which is so weird because for weeks its all I seem to have been thinking about.

The first few months of being sober went by SOOOOO fast, it was crazy! I was on this weird emotional spectrum of being so happy one moment and being so depressed the next. I saw the beauty of being sober...and also the sadness. I couldn't hide behind drinking anymore, I had to face my demons. And honestly, its the best thing thats honestly every happened to me. I used to read people writing that and think "ok, like being sober is great sometimes, but its not the best thing ever, its tough."

I was so wrong. I get sad and depressed, of course, but I could not be more happy with where I am. I was a mean drinker, like I'd put away a litre of vodka in one sitting once or twice a week. And now, the thoughts of being even REMOTELY out of control actually scares me. I love being in control of my body, I don't need to go back to that place.

The first few months flew by, but these last few months have slowed back to normal. I'm dealing with things I used to a long LONG time ago, over seven years. I was so looking forward to six months sober, and it came and went and I didn't even notice. At first that made me sad, but then I realised that my sobriety is starting to just be my normal life. I've started going out with friends again, to parties and nightclubs, and I just leave when I want to, when they're all messy drunk. I see the world completely differently, now to me, everyone has a drinking problem.

Everything hasn't been roses and daises, I still have an addiction problem, that rears its head in other ways, like eating bad food etc. I can see that. But that voice is gone, and my head is quiet. It's the most surreal experience. It's quiet.

Of course i still get the odd rising twinge from deep within to have a drink, but its not often, and i have so much time for myself. And to discover who I am as a person. Discover what I like. Discover a confidence. You're forced out into the world when you don't drink. It's scary, but it's amazing.

Sometimes I don't think six months is a lot, and then I think it's been the longest six months of my life thinking back. I look back at my life before with some regret still, the time I wasted, but playing catch up has brought its own rewards.

To all those who are starting this journey, keep at it, you have so much ahead of you! And to those who are ahead of me on this journey, I hope to be there one day!

Looking forward to the future!
Old 02-28-2019, 02:35 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Congrats!
Old 02-28-2019, 02:40 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Congrats on half a year sober!
Old 02-28-2019, 02:48 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Six months is fantastic, Birwin!
Old 02-28-2019, 03:23 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Great post.
It's wonderful to rediscover the world sober, isn't it?
And congratulations on six months. That's a great milestone to build on.
Keep it up. It only gets better. I promise.
Best to you in sobriety.
Old 02-28-2019, 03:26 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

well done

good post
Old 02-28-2019, 04:01 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

way to go birwin - congrats!

D
Old 02-28-2019, 04:58 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Heck ya
Congrats!
Old 02-28-2019, 06:23 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

6 months! - fabulous news, birwin.
Old 02-28-2019, 06:25 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Love it, congrats!
Old 02-28-2019, 06:41 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Beautifully written to express your feelings, thank you for sharing them.

So happy for you, congratulations birwin.
Old 02-28-2019, 06:44 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Six months IS a lot, Birwin! Well done. Thanks for the inspiring post!
Old 03-01-2019, 01:05 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Do your best

Old 03-01-2019, 01:22 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Great post, thanks, and heartfelt congrats
Old 03-01-2019, 01:25 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by birwin91 View Post
So, yesterday was my six month anniversary of being sober. And I completely forgot. Which is so weird because for weeks its all I seem to have been thinking about.

The first few months of being sober went by SOOOOO fast, it was crazy! I was on this weird emotional spectrum of being so happy one moment and being so depressed the next. I saw the beauty of being sober...and also the sadness. I couldn't hide behind drinking anymore, I had to face my demons. And honestly, its the best thing thats honestly every happened to me. I used to read people writing that and think "ok, like being sober is great sometimes, but its not the best thing ever, its tough."

I was so wrong. I get sad and depressed, of course, but I could not be more happy with where I am. I was a mean drinker, like I'd put away a litre of vodka in one sitting once or twice a week. And now, the thoughts of being even REMOTELY out of control actually scares me. I love being in control of my body, I don't need to go back to that place.

The first few months flew by, but these last few months have slowed back to normal. I'm dealing with things I used to a long LONG time ago, over seven years. I was so looking forward to six months sober, and it came and went and I didn't even notice. At first that made me sad, but then I realised that my sobriety is starting to just be my normal life. I've started going out with friends again, to parties and nightclubs, and I just leave when I want to, when they're all messy drunk. I see the world completely differently, now to me, everyone has a drinking problem.

Everything hasn't been roses and daises, I still have an addiction problem, that rears its head in other ways, like eating bad food etc. I can see that. But that voice is gone, and my head is quiet. It's the most surreal experience. It's quiet.

Of course i still get the odd rising twinge from deep within to have a drink, but its not often, and i have so much time for myself. And to discover who I am as a person. Discover what I like. Discover a confidence. You're forced out into the world when you don't drink. It's scary, but it's amazing.

Sometimes I don't think six months is a lot, and then I think it's been the longest six months of my life thinking back. I look back at my life before with some regret still, the time I wasted, but playing catch up has brought its own rewards.

To all those who are starting this journey, keep at it, you have so much ahead of you! And to those who are ahead of me on this journey, I hope to be there one day!

Looking forward to the future!
I can't thank you enough for this post, congratulations on your 6months. 🙏💖
Old 03-01-2019, 02:38 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Congrats Birwin!
Old 03-01-2019, 10:02 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Congratulations!!
Old 03-01-2019, 04:03 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Congrats on 6 months!
Old 03-01-2019, 04:58 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Beautiful stuff. That whole discovering of self is pretty amazing too. Really agree about that. Keep it moving good stuff.