Notices

When do the cravings stop 😱

Old 02-26-2019, 03:23 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

It may be different for everyone. But for me, they were over for the most part after the first several, let's say 4-5 days. They were intense, like if I do not slam down at least 6 beers right now, I will die. I didn't. Then they occasionally have reappeared again. About a week ago, I got them, but it wasn't nearly as bad and I was able to just shrug it off.

Now I'm on day 56, and I was a very heavy drinker for about a decade. So you can do this.
Old 02-27-2019, 12:56 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Administrator

I can't remember when it stopped exactly but things got easier, the ups and downs grew less extreme, and the cravings grew fainter....I think 90 days was a real watershed fo all that stuff.

I know that might seem a way off right now especially after a bad day , but if you place it alongside the years we drank, it's not such a bad deal - stick with it Doris

D
Old 02-27-2019, 01:29 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
I can't remember when it stopped exactly but things got easier, the ups and downs grew less extreme, and the cravings grew fainter....I think 90 days was a real watershed fo all that stuff.

I know that might seem a way off right now especially after a bad day , but if you place it alongside the years we drank, it's not such a bad deal - stick with it Doris

D
Thanks dee, I am sticking with it. But it's hard sometimes, today is a new day, I'm feeling positive again 🙏💖
Old 02-27-2019, 02:29 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by TheWayBack View Post
It may be different for everyone. But for me, they were over for the most part after the first several, let's say 4-5 days. They were intense, like if I do not slam down at least 6 beers right now, I will die. I didn't. Then they occasionally have reappeared again. About a week ago, I got them, but it wasn't nearly as bad and I was able to just shrug it off.

Now I'm on day 56, and I was a very heavy drinker for about a decade. So you can do this.
Yesterday was quite intense for me, it seemed every second thought was about having a drink. I'm thankful that I didn't give in. For the best part of 30yrs I've been a drinker and drug user. My drinking was in binges. I've been clean for 83 days, I don't even think about drugs anymore, and I've been sober for 29 days. Isn't it strange that people frown upon drugs, but alcohol is totally accepted in society. But drink is the mother of all addiction in my opinion. For me thats been the hardest to crack. 💖🙏
Old 02-27-2019, 02:58 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

I'm only on day 11 but I've learned that eating well and regularly is a big help. The boredom cravings are sneaky insinuating ones, but for me hunger really sets off scary cravings! Your body is used to getting wonderful easy alcohol calories and is hollering for them.
Old 02-27-2019, 05:18 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Doris47 View Post
Yesterday was quite intense for me, it seemed every second thought was about having a drink. I'm thankful that I didn't give in. For the best part of 30yrs I've been a drinker and drug user. My drinking was in binges. I've been clean for 83 days, I don't even think about drugs anymore, and I've been sober for 29 days. Isn't it strange that people frown upon drugs, but alcohol is totally accepted in society. But drink is the mother of all addiction in my opinion. For me thats been the hardest to crack. 💖🙏
My cravings peaked at around day 5, and then started to diminish to more manageable levels. At 29 days, I still had them, but I could laugh them off.

Having been through the worst of it, you now know you can do it. That becomes a source of confidence, which can be harnessed to fight the occasional tough spikes. At 29 days, I wouldn't expect to be craving free, but you should be recognizing your strength to defeat cravings. A life totally free of craving is still in the future, but that doesn't seem like a big deal when you recognize that you are in a period of growing strength and confidence. You might want to focus on that rather than the annoying cravings. Now it's about winning battles, which I think you are well equipped to do. A carefree retirement is still down the road. But it's a pleasant road, and there is no reason not to enjoy the journey.

When struck by a wave of confidence or a sense of strength along the way, I wallowed in the moment in an almost childish way. I even felt a little embarrassed, like I was childishly blowing things out of proportion. But then it's like I heard another voice inside that told me to just go ahead and wallow. I took that to heart, keeping in mind that this would be my secret to be shared with a few others in AA, but not something I had to shout about in public with a loud speaker.

Lord knows, we alcoholics are great at wallowing in our misery. Why not wallow in our positive qualities. That only seems fair.