Notices

Tried to moderate

Old 02-19-2019, 12:20 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by WhoDeyPI View Post
Ya'll, I don't think he was saying that he considers 10+ drinks "moderation". I think he was saying his INTENT was to only have a few...but as expected it turned into sliding down the slope. For me, drinking in moderation would never work. I'm a "drink to be drunk" drinker. I love hitting the "tipsy zone", but then once I hit it, it's never enough until I'm passed out.
​​​​​​This is moderation.
​​​​​​
Old 02-19-2019, 12:24 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  
quat

"Decided total abstinence was far too difficult and decided to moderate."

At first you are going to think I'm trying to be a wise ass, not the case, but make a different decision .
You really did decide abstinence is too difficult, you actually can decide is isn't.
Make different/better decisions, you will thank yourself.
Old 02-19-2019, 06:31 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Evoo View Post
One or two drinks doesn't relax me like it might a "normal" drinker. It actually produces anxiety and cravings. It produces a very temporary high at great cost.
Wow so true.
Old 02-19-2019, 07:39 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  
Administrator

I was there for a lot of years HC - total abstinence seemed unreachable, but trying to moderate was equally untenable.

I finally decided I was doing nowhere near enough to make change happen.

When I finally decided to make my life's work be me not drinking, I started to get somewhere.

If you can't do that yourself, I think you should seriously consider rehab.

D
Old 02-20-2019, 07:19 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  
Giving up is NOT an option.

Believing that rehab was only for people who drank heavily every day starting in the morning kept me drinking for a lot longer than I should have. Believing I could moderate (and succeeding on rare occasions) fooled me into thinking I wasn't an alcoholic. So many wasted years. Don't waste your life. That's for anyone reading this thread - not just the OP.
Old 02-20-2019, 07:56 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MLD51 View Post
Believing that rehab was only for people who drank heavily every day starting in the morning kept me drinking for a lot longer than I should have. Believing I could moderate (and succeeding on rare occasions) fooled me into thinking I wasn't an alcoholic. So many wasted years. Don't waste your life. That's for anyone reading this thread - not just the OP.
Yes, this. 100 percent. This this this. <---

I never used the word "alcoholic." It felt so permanent. My AV worked very hard to make this word toxic. I would say:
I'm not like those people in the meetings, right? It's been a year and I only got drunk on Thanksgiving -- and it wasn't that bad! Everyone was drinking! The other times I was able to cut it off and go to sleep before I had too much. It's not like my 20s where I was physically addicted. No, it's not like that -- I've recovered from that. I'm a normal drinker now, even my family is proud of me and offers me drinks now. I'm recovered.
What a lie I was telling myself. The fact that I could forcibly moderate with tortuous effort (and "cutting off" with marijuana) to avoid hangover/withdrawals hardly made me a "normal" drinker. And even then I had worse weekends that I would admit to myself (or anyone else). It just allowed me to socially drink at great personal cost, allowing a poison to loom over me like a dark storm cloud. I always walked into drinking situations with anxiety and fear -- and never communicated it with anyone.

My AV was always winning. No longer.

Thank you for sharing that, MLD51.

Old 02-20-2019, 08:12 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  
Giving up is NOT an option.

I hated thinking I was an alcoholic. It didn't seem to fit how I saw myself. I surely wasn't one of "those" people, was I? Well I was wrong. My whole idea of who alcoholics were was wrong. When I went to my first AA meeting and saw all of the seemingly normal, everyday people saying they were alcoholics, I was kind of blown away. I had found my people. And they were just like me. Even if their lives had fallen apart more than mine had before they got help, we were still the same deep down inside. Sure opened my eyes.
Old 02-20-2019, 09:56 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MLD51 View Post
I hated thinking I was an alcoholic. It didn't seem to fit how I saw myself. I surely wasn't one of "those" people, was I? Well I was wrong. My whole idea of who alcoholics were was wrong. When I went to my first AA meeting and saw all of the seemingly normal, everyday people saying they were alcoholics, I was kind of blown away. I had found my people. And they were just like me. Even if their lives had fallen apart more than mine had before they got help, we were still the same deep down inside. Sure opened my eyes.
Very well put and mirrored my thoughts of myself and "those" people.

My ego told me I was better than "those" people, but it turns out I was not. The irony is that once I accepted I was one of those people and quit drinking my life got better.
Old 02-20-2019, 12:06 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Moderation will not work.

Unfortunately, despite this, many people try to do their own research to find a way.

I hope you decide that total abstinence is better for you.
Old 02-20-2019, 12:40 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

HC been thinking about you, hope your ok, check in sometime 🙏💖
Old 02-20-2019, 01:37 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

I liken moderation to "flying" a plane while it's in a tailspin shooting towards the ground at about 500 miles per hour.

You can tell yourself you have your hand on the stick, even though you can't move it, and you can tell yourself you're still flying, despite the inevitable crash and burn.
Old 02-20-2019, 02:33 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ljc267 View Post
You sound like I used to think. I remember thinking ok I'm going to moderately drink from now on, and at the time, that meant drinking no more then 12 beers during the week and 14 on the weekends. I'm serious. How skewed is that thinking. To me 12 beers was moderate drinking.

That didn't work. Then I said ok I'll only drink 6 and 8 on weekends. It was torture. It was like taking 1/2 an aspirin for a migraine.

If you are an alcoholic moderation will never ever work. I tried for a decade and I am an extremely disciplined person and it didn't work.

It's hard to quit, believe me I know, but you can do it and you will be far better off because of it.
I agree with you completely.

For me, 10 drinks was about half of what I normally drank on a week day, so that would have been a pretty modest sitting for me.

But going on the wagon, for me, was like a 6 pack or so.

I'm worried about HC.

He needs to be back on this thread.

I need to first make a decision to get help.

Then seek it.

Then work and follow a trusted plan of recovery.

I had to basically change everything.
Old 02-20-2019, 03:43 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SoberCAH View Post
I agree with you completely.

I'm worried about HC.

He needs to be back on this thread.
HC has created another thread.