Notices

Boredom

Old 02-16-2019, 01:50 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

I find something to make when I’m bored. I like to read, try new recipes, go to a store or coffee place that’s new to me, I paint, and I do needlework. Sometimes I go for a walk and search something for something to photograph or I go shopping. Write a letter or send a thinking of you card to someone in your family. CLean out a messy drawer. Build something, ect....

That said, having the energy is something else. I drink an extra cup of coffee a day since I’m sober and that helps me get over the afternoon slump.
Old 02-16-2019, 04:31 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think Carls answer is very good. I grew used to sitting on the couch doing nothing channel surfing and drinking beer.

Take the beer away and that life is pretty much intolerable.

I had to get my imagination back - I got back into old hobbies and started new ones, I volunteered in my community, I checked out online courses .

Now I find there's often not enough hours in the day to do what I want to do.

Treasure that free time and do something with it

D
Old 02-16-2019, 06:09 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  
SIB

Boredom at 2 weeks is normal, because you are now sober but still living the life you built when drinking. You will transition into a new and better lifestyle but it takes more than 2 weeks. Are there any sports, hobbies or anything you use to do before you started drinking? Those are always good to get back into if you have them.

Oh and about the movies, unless its a 7 or higher rating on IMDB, with reviews to match I won't bother watching it. Shutting terrible movies off after 20 minutes gets old.
Old 02-16-2019, 09:31 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Robbie64: thanks for your post and sharing your feelings. I'm on day 47 and had my first meeting with an addiction therapist last week. We talked about the feeling of boredom that many people encounter in sobriety. I was a pub drinker (every night). I would "work" all day (although my performance was declining due to the cognitive effects of alcohol); when I was super hungry, lonely, and tired (never cooked), then I would go to the pub and spend 3-5 hours there.

Now, what? My addiction therapist explained how claims of "boredom" are one of the biggest reasons people with 90 days or less have for breaking their sobriety. I did find my motivation and energy to do other activities (and to find joy in those new activities) increase after 30-35 days. Everyone is different. But my motivation has increased slowly and, thus, my sense of boredom is down.

When I was actively drinking, I had many goals that I could never accomplish because I was hungover and tired. I mean goals that I've had for 10-20 years but could never complete. Now, I'm able to go back and start chipping away/engaging with activities that lead to those goals.

I still struggle. I can't seem to get myself to exercise. But my addiction therapist advised me to take baby steps.

Anyway, I'm just sharing in case it helps. Also, have you thought about joining the February 2019 class? It is a great group of people. Connecting with people and learning the stories/struggles of people who are on SR regularly has helped A LOT.
Old 02-17-2019, 04:04 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Listae - great share!!! You gave a lot of insight into the process you are experiencing and one I found familiar.

Something also occurred to me as I read thru this thread again - I had to let it be OK to NOT finish something. A puzzle, a movie, whatever- if I got "bored" again, do something else. Letting the annoyance at anything get to me had to bother me less, so to speak

Everyone keep going - the days add up and you can truly see what there is in the world, from within the house to everywhere else.