Notices

Alcohol and my Brain

Old 02-15-2019, 01:23 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Alcohol and my Brain

Years ago when I was in my early twenties a mate and I finished off a bottle of Bourbon and untold beers, to this day I only have to smell Bourbon and I get a feeling of throwing up.
Some Christmas' ago, the family decided to do the Boxing Day sales in town. It was a stinking hot day but cool in the air conditioning of the shopping centre. I had a heap to drink the night before and no breakfast that morning. I took the shopping to the car while the family was going to meet me at the coffee shop. I came back into the shopping and froze at the bottom of the escalator. I had to ring my wife to get me and they literary carried me out but when I was out I was good again. Lightheaded and low blood sugar got me.
Since then I couldn't walk into shopping centres, cut a long story short, I went to a neurologist who said I had an 'episode'. My brain had imprinted that the shopping centre had nearly killed me ... stay away. I'm now a lot better but I have to convince myself that I'll be OK going into a shopping centre.
I used to drink beer, very poor drinker of spirits and wine. After giving up for 3 months, thanks to everyone at SR. I drank a glass of wine at a friend's son's 21st and I spiraled out of control again but I couldn't drink beer or spirits, hated it. But wine was like water to me. Again my brain has imprinted another scenario.
Today as I write this I begin my 3rd day sober. Hopefully I can imprint a new thought in my brain that staying sober is much better than being drunk.
Stay well everyone.
JS
Old 02-15-2019, 02:33 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Addiction is such a cruel disease, making us inlict injuries on ourselves and making us crave what we don't need above all else. Finding that hook that we can hang our cravings on so that we don't have to rely on willpower- that is the key. I found it because my body was shutting down which focuses the mind somewhat. Keep looking forcthat pathway out and you will find it eventually James.
Old 02-16-2019, 12:35 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

You can do this JamesSquire . . . great job on Day 3!!
Old 02-16-2019, 03:46 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

You will!

Neuroplasticity.
Old 02-16-2019, 04:11 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi James
All I can do is reassure you I'm in far better mental shape now than I was when I quit.

Some days it took me hours to gear myself up for the 10 min trip to the bottlo. My life was a roundabout of drinking and anxiety, panic fear and paranoia.

Took me a while to get over all those things, or manage them in the case of lifelong things like anxiety, but I did.

D