Notices

Am I addicted?

Old 02-15-2019, 06:34 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Am I addicted?

Am I addicted to Sober Recovery?

I love the SR site. SR has been my savior. I have never been sober so long - 47 days in my 27 - 28 years of alcoholic career. I am frequently here on SR. Or I am always here. I spend about 2 to 3 hours daily here, may be more.

I am here to get advice when I have cravings or walking into a situation which needs me to be prepared in advance, keep my gaurd up and strong. I am here inquiring about or sharing my feelings. I come here to post my activities of the day, I am here commenting on others posts. I am here answering questions directed to me or to questions in general. I am here to check on folks I have met in last 47 days (I don't check on my friends from teenage as much). I have so much stress in personal life, when situations get though I am here reading comments. Sometimes I am here to kill time, or looking for nothing.

I am here first thing in the morning, and last thing I do before going to bed. I am here before leaving the house, when I come back in. I am here between meetings, in between meetings (when they start boring me). I am here while having tea or coffee. I am here walking from my cube to my colleagues cube, to break room, to the bathroom.

I have never been this free of anxiety, over thinking, planning, strategizing, day dreaming. I am more present, more now than ever. Somehow all the answers I am looking for are here. Such a vast experience from different walks of life.

Thank you all.
Old 02-15-2019, 10:15 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

There are worse things to be addicted to .

I've been coming here a lot too, particularly in this first leg of the journey and to help process and reframe how I approach alcohol and sobriety.

So very helpful so far. Even the introduction of this concept "alcohol voice" has given me tools I've never had before to separate myself from my addiction and externalize it in a way I've never been able to before this.
Old 02-15-2019, 12:54 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

H379 - Comments inserted in your post below for your consideration.

Originally Posted by H379 View Post

I love the SR site. SR has been my savior. I have never been sober so long - 47 days in my 27 - 28 years of alcoholic career. I am frequently here on SR. Or I am always here. I spend about 2 to 3 hours daily here, may be more.

I am on this site pretty much every day too. For me going to one AA meeting a day can take up more than two hours with travel time. But I never heard someone say it's too much time. Especially in early recovery. As someone else said there are worse things to be addicted to. Most of us have addictive behavior issues. That's why we are here.

I am here to get advice when I have cravings or walking into a situation which needs me to be prepared in advance, keep my guard up and strong. I am here inquiring about or sharing my feelings. I come here to post my activities of the day, I am here commenting on others posts. I am here answering questions directed to me or to questions in general. I am here to check on folks I have met in last 47 days (I don't check on my friends from teenage as much). I have so much stress in personal life, when situations get though I am here reading comments. Sometimes I am here to kill time, or looking for nothing.

Well I spend less time here than my daughters spend on their phones texting their friends. IMO your behavior is acceptable. Of course I may share your addiction so perhaps I am biased.

I am here first thing in the morning, and last thing I do before going to bed. I am here before leaving the house, when I come back in. I am here between meetings, in between meetings (when they start boring me). I am here while having tea or coffee. I am here walking from my cube to my colleagues cube, to break room, to the bathroom.

Look at the amount of time some people spend playing video games. At least this site is focused on making us better more responsible people. Never pissed off my wife by spending time on this site. Can't say the same for alcohol. It's a big improvement.

I have never been this free of anxiety, over thinking, planning, strategizing, day dreaming. I am more present, more now than ever. Somehow all the answers I am looking for are here. Such a vast experience from different walks of life.

Thank you all.
Old 02-15-2019, 01:09 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Not Alone

Originally Posted by H379 View Post

I am here to get advice when I have cravings or walking into a situation which needs me to be prepared in advance, keep my gaurd up and strong. I am here inquiring about or sharing my feelings. I come here to post my activities of the day, I am here commenting on others posts. I am here answering questions directed to me or to questions in general. I am here to check on folks I have met in last 47 days (I don't check on my friends from teenage as much). I have so much stress in personal life, when situations get though I am here reading comments. Sometimes I am here to kill time, or looking for nothing.

Thank you all.
There is a very high chance that you're addicted to Sober Recovery. I met someone in a meeting once who told me to 'get addicted to recovery'. I can certainly think of worse things to be addicted to. I wouldn't worry about it unless you end up getting the domain name tattooed on you or something (I will not be held liable if you, or anyone else does this....lol)

Natom
Old 02-15-2019, 01:15 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Well, if being addicted to SR means coming here every day, then I guess I'm addicted. There are worse things to be addicted to.
Old 02-15-2019, 01:19 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Ha ha! I've been feeling the same way H379 so this a great and helpful thread.

When I think about all the time I wasted drinking and (worse) dealing with alcohol's aftereffects, then I guess I give myself a break about being on SR so much.

One reason that I find it helpful is that I haven't been on an airplane since I quit drinking (46 days ago). So, I spoke to my addiction therapist yesterday about flying soon. I told her that I was so grateful for SR because I could check-in on SR while waiting to board (when I would usually be at the bar) and online on the plane. I could also listen to recovery podcasts and AA speakers.

So, I'm grateful for this site (and I'm probably compulsively posting) because it gives me a sense of emotional relief and support. I don't need to turn to booze to feel a sense of relief anymore.

So, I'm a SR addict just like you. But it has never given me a hangover, DTs, or the shakes.
Old 02-15-2019, 04:29 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

Additions deplete me. SR doesn't deplete me

D
Old 02-15-2019, 04:55 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I used to spend those 2-3 hours drinking.

SR is much healthier.

Last edited by JamesSquire; 02-15-2019 at 04:56 PM. Reason: clearer fact
Old 02-15-2019, 05:12 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I am on here so much too. I really enjoy it. I really like getting to know the people on the site and recognizing everyone's name.
I like being apart of a group that I completely understand and can identify with.
Old 02-16-2019, 03:58 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Thank you all for your comments.

I agree with you all, time spent here is far better, well spent and very little compared to time spent drinking, managing the drunk state and then nursing the hang over.

I am here a lot maybe because it's early recovery. Eventually time here will go down, because I find a new hobby to distract me. But don't care how much time I spend here, the goal is to stay sober and will do anything to be so.

Thanks SR family for all the support and guidance.
Old 02-16-2019, 12:38 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

To boil it all down . . . you won't die from being addicted to SR!!
Old 02-16-2019, 04:25 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Sure Purple.
Old 02-16-2019, 04:55 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

This site saved me❤️ I’m addicted too😉