Notices

Class of February 2019 Support Thread Pt 2

Old 02-27-2019, 05:37 PM
  # 421 (permalink)  

Thanks, all....whew! what a relief....if I EVER wanted a drink it would be now....to celebrate....to face my fear of dying soon, to lose everyone I love....and just go on an unnecessary pity pot. Thanks for being here, you guys! I feel like you "have my back".
Ekohe- glad that you are here and in for the ride!
Dee- thanks for all of your support and guidance along this journey!
Red- Still trying to quit....this is a beast!

Love to you all!
Old 02-27-2019, 05:49 PM
  # 422 (permalink)  
Here and now

Thank you Trudging! I'm right there beside you.
Old 02-27-2019, 06:03 PM
  # 423 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Caramel View Post
Liveher - hope you won't mind, in the Weekenders' Thread I have quoted a paragraph from your post #401.

It's great to see how we can think things through - and provide insight for others too.
Hi Caramel and Willow! So glad it resonated with you!
I love that. I’ll definitely check out the Weekender thread. Thanks for sharing the other quotes!
Old 02-27-2019, 06:07 PM
  # 424 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by NotMe2pls View Post

Its sparkling mineral water that comes in glass bottles here in the US. Originated in mexico & apparently big here in my Southern state (although I just found it). Believe it’s on Amazon too? I never liked sparkling water before. I drink mostly just water & wanted something different. With the lime juice & glass bottle it just feels like more of a treat.
you inspired me to pick up Topo Chico when I was shopping tonight!
Old 02-27-2019, 06:08 PM
  # 425 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Addy47 View Post
WOW! I absolutely loved all of this! I hope you check in more often because your words are always so powerful Liveher. Thank you.
Thanks, Addy!! Happy Day 23 to you!
Old 02-27-2019, 08:03 PM
  # 426 (permalink)  
Duck Duck Goose!

Originally Posted by trudgingagain View Post
You bet Addy! Just got CT scan results. STABLE....YAY! A 1 mm growth on a few nodules in my left lung, but hey...I am THRILLED!
Yay!!!!!

Originally Posted by Ekohe View Post
First sober birthday since my teens was on february 23rd. I am sober, and I am in.
Happy birthday!
Old 02-27-2019, 10:18 PM
  # 427 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Ekohe View Post
First sober birthday since my teens was on february 23rd. I am sober, and I am in.
amazing! Well done Ekhone
Old 02-27-2019, 10:56 PM
  # 428 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome ekohe

D
Old 02-28-2019, 02:43 AM
  # 429 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by lightanddark View Post
Red78 Well done on being smoke free too. Drinking for me makes me smoke more cigarettes than I can count. Nothing worse than waking up in the morning with that horrible taste from drink and cigs. I wish I could give more advice about your friends, but I'm new to this, and I'm sure you have more life experience behind you than I do! All I know is that we are products of our environments so just be wary if you are surrounded by the things you are trying to avoid, stick to your plan like glue.
)
I don't have more life experience, maybe just different life experience.
Addiction is a very hard master and it doesn't matter how many times you try it is as hard to overcome each and every time until one day it clicks(here's hoping) hence the reason smoking and drinking are addictions I'm still trying to overcome.
and you are right, nothing worse than waking up in the stench of cigarette smoke or with the taste in your mouth with lungs that are aching...
I am fighting every second of this week with my AV over Saturday night and it isn't a weekend I can get out of nor do I want to as these people have been in my life for 20+ years, I just have to learn a new way of life inside some of these same old situations.

Originally Posted by trudgingagain View Post
You bet Addy! Just got CT scan results. STABLE....YAY! A 1 mm growth on a few nodules in my left lung, but hey...I am THRILLED!
I am very happy for you trudging, this journey mustve been and still is I'm guessing a very scary one.

Originally Posted by NotMe2pls View Post

Its sparkling mineral water that comes in glass bottles here in the US. Originated in mexico & apparently big here in my Southern state (although I just found it). Believe it’s on Amazon too? I never liked sparkling water before. I drink mostly just water & wanted something different. With the lime juice & glass bottle it just feels like more of a treat.
I buy sparkling water too, I like to add flavour to mine but do find it refreshing straight also.

Today was a little touch and go, my partner received the updated affadavit from his youngest childs mother. I told my partner that I didn't want to read it today as I would get angry as I have done the whole time and I didn't want for these emotions to surface and feel the urge to drink. He said that he needed me to read them at some stage as the final day for him to submit his is tomorrow as I am helping him edit his and am supporting him in the court process for full custody of his son who is 8. I had a shower, ate my dinner, then grounded myself and white saged myself for protection before reading.
This woman is so nasty, a narscistic, manipulating, gaslighting liar. the things she has written about my partner are unspeakable, I have spent much more time in this relationship than they had together and have never witnessed the behaviours she states he had, he is by no means perfect but he is not the violent abusive rapist that she claims him to be. This makes me soooo angry and anxious and wanting to drink. however as I waited until quite late and went into it with a stable mindset and tried to detach myself from the accusations, i found myself to be ok mentally about it.
I think as I am learning more about myself and my triggers I can see the need to take the right steps to protect myself and tonight it worked.
By being able to really look at my thoughts and feeling without alcohol, I can really identify the changes I need to make within to be able to deal with my emotions in a healthy way.

Today is the last day of Feb, technically my day 6 but I have only actually drank on 4 days in Feb and only half of Jan, so Feb has been mainly sober for me...onwards and upwards to Marvellous March team..
Old 02-28-2019, 05:12 AM
  # 430 (permalink)  
Duck Duck Goose!

Good morning everyone! Hope you have/have had a great last day of February. Tomorrow we move our thread/home - that’s a real accomplishment!

I have a full day ahead - serious deadline at work (that I should have no problem meeting) plus volunteering at an event from 6:30-10:30. It will involve a lot of walking, so I’ll get my steps in!

My son has joined me in quitting, which is awesome. He’s 24 and we’ve all been worried. Now if only my husband would, but that’s unlikely.
Old 02-28-2019, 07:03 AM
  # 431 (permalink)  

Thanks Red....it is definitely a journey and a "new normal". Today (Thurs.) I am going with hubby to ENT. He has broken his nose about 10 times (a former ice hockey player), but now it's to the point where he is struggling to breathe (never mind the snoring part Then I want to plan a trip for the holidays. We just don't want to deal with all of the family drama). I've been trying to plan it for days, but I never quite get to it. finished the majority of paperwork that I had to do yesterday, so today I am feeling pretty accomplished.....like I get a day off! I dunno, but this is not how I imagined the "Golden Years!"
Old 02-28-2019, 07:13 AM
  # 432 (permalink)  

Today is my day 1... I appreciate seeing all these posts to now I'm not alone
Old 02-28-2019, 07:14 AM
  # 433 (permalink)  

Todays happy thought after a fortnight of sobriety .....NO after dark recycling trips!!

Happy Thursday everyone!
Old 02-28-2019, 07:23 AM
  # 434 (permalink)  

Good morning all!

First off, Congrats trudgingagain! One more step in the right direction can't hurt right? Hang in there

Also, congrats to everyone climbing the sober ladder. It's really inspiring and if it helps me, it definitely is helping others here too.

Red78, your story sounds all too familiar. Years ago I went through the exact same thing with a custody battle. What is interesting is that woman you are talking about, I was involved with and I believed all the things she said about her ex. eh. I'll shut up now Just don't give her your anger. She thrives off of it. Nuf said.

Now all about ME...just kidding

I can't believe it's day 6 already. It feels like over a week, but on the other hand it has been a long time since I have gone 6 days straight. There is no way I could have done that without being here at SR.

Look forward to day 7 and a full month ahead.

Thanks and hugs to all
Old 02-28-2019, 07:43 AM
  # 435 (permalink)  

Hi everyone! Day 17 here. Doing well, but still emotional at the drop of a hat. I just try my best to process it. Moods are my biggest challenge in recovery because they were what always have led me to want to numb out (the funny thing is I often got emotional while drinking anyway... the thing that was absent though was my JUDGMENT of the emotion). Here’s another thing I do when I feel totally knocked down by emotion/mood now. Some of you will love it, some of you will hate it.

It’s a “loving kindness meditation” and comes from the Buddhist tradition. There are many different versions and you can substitute your own words that relate more closely to your needs. I just take 2-3 minutes and sit or lie down and say it to myself.

May I be free from inner and outer harm and danger. May I be safe and protected.

May I be free of mental suffering or distress.

May I be happy.

May I be free of physical pain and suffering.

May I be healthy and strong.

May I be able to live in this world happily, peacefully, joyfully, with ease.

Don’t knock it folks. Self compassion and gratitude practices can feel like the antithesis of our experience right now, but I keep hearing over and over that practices that involve them literally change the brain and your health. I believe it.

I also wanted to share my new favorite drink for those of you who like the taste of ginger: your favorite sparkling water or club soda, a splash of ginger ale (you can add as much as you like but it tends to be high in sugar or corn syrup), and a nice big squeeze of lime.

Enjoy your day/night!!

Old 02-28-2019, 09:25 AM
  # 436 (permalink)  

GROUNDHOG CLASS CHECK-IN!! Before this thread is moved to the daily threads shelf .

I want this chain and this class to stay alive and well. If you’re in for the long haul, say “thank you” to this post!

Hope to continue on with all of you fine people on this journey.
Old 02-28-2019, 11:33 AM
  # 437 (permalink)  

Almost a month ago when I detoxed. Such dark days. Still dealing with low mood but much better. The effects of alcoholism on mental health are overlooked to a great degree. I have no lasting physical issues but I know it will be months for my brain to recover.
Old 02-28-2019, 11:59 AM
  # 438 (permalink)  

Claiming shotgun for first post of March, lol.

Garbage truck outside picking up the bins.....always enjoy the absence of the clattering cascade of empties.
Actually.....a lot of my days would start with a dawn trip to the local park with a plastic shopping bags of empties. Supermarket near here, so the branded disposable bags always good cover. I do not miss the furtive early morning empty runs.
It is an awful existence. Its been said before......but drinking gets to be really hard work.

Though I sometimes think just how quickly sober life has become the new normal. I remind myself daily of how bad it got. The two greatest gifts of it are the deep relaxing sleep and a calmer more focused mind. There's stuff going on right now for me that I would not be able to deal with hungover.
Just tell myself that I can't control the situation, only my response to it.
There's also the thing of not isolating, being available for the few that need you.

Been a good month. Thanks to all of you. And welcome, Brokenwings. Our newest!

All the best for March everybody.
Old 02-28-2019, 12:24 PM
  # 439 (permalink)  

Back at square 1

I am back, I was in the September 2018 or 2017 (I don't remember the year), but fell off the waggon, repeatedly.
After my last hospitalized alcohol withdrawal as of February 14th (happy V-Day to me) and losing my 3rd job due to alcohol, I FINALLY decided to join a "Goal-Setting" group once a week at my Mental Health physician's advice I've been ignoring for years. Today there was this new guy I could totally relate to being an excessive binge-drinker myself. Other than that, I keep going to hold myself accountable for whatever goal it is for the week.
I have successfully remained sober since the 14th, but have substituted drinking with way too much caffeine. I'm very conscientious and self-aware and I guess my goal this week is to cut off buying energy drinks on top of having coffees.
my limit this week is no more than 2-3 cups of coffee in the mornings and 0 energy drinks and 0 alcohol cuz once I start on either, I can't stop. It's gotta be all or nothing. I tried decreasing, I tried only on weekends, past certain times and it's always the same, it turns into a full-fledged relapse at some point and you're back in it

Hope everyone is doing well in trying or continuing in their sobriety.

Last edited by Caprice6; 02-28-2019 at 12:25 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 02-28-2019, 12:47 PM
  # 440 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Evoo View Post
GROUNDHOG CLASS CHECK-IN!! Before this thread is moved to the daily threads shelf .

I want this chain and this class to stay alive and well. If you’re in for the long haul, say “thank you” to this post!

Hope to continue on with all of you fine people on this journey.
I don't know how to say thank you via my mobile so I will do it like this.. I'm in for the long haul..