Notices

What does your username/handle mean?

Old 02-16-2019, 03:34 AM
  # 61 (permalink)  
FBL
non-drinker

I used to drink beer...A LOT of beer, LOL!
Old 02-16-2019, 04:55 AM
  # 62 (permalink)  

My first name and year of birth!
Old 02-16-2019, 05:08 AM
  # 63 (permalink)  
nmd

Not particularly clever, but "No More Drinking".

I didnt want to use my real name when signing up and it seemed likely nmd was something i could remember :-D

And all lowercase because I've worked on unix systems long enough I'm used to using mostly lower case
Old 02-16-2019, 05:13 AM
  # 64 (permalink)  

Honestly, I was looking for something anonymous and generic (though I do like flowers lol) when I first joined. The number is a random one from my past. I wish I had something with more personality now, but that's what Grumpy Cat is for
Old 02-16-2019, 05:23 AM
  # 65 (permalink)  
Duck Duck Goose!

Originally Posted by Robbie64 View Post
My first name and year of birth!
Great year to be born!
Old 02-16-2019, 05:49 AM
  # 66 (permalink)  

US-based baseball fans may have seen a hilarious Saturday Night Live sketch with Will Ferrell playing the role of Harry Caray (old Cubs broadcaster), at one point he says - slurring his words - "look at that kid with the big sombrero" or something like that. During my final year of active alcoholism I fell off a stool at a bar across the street from Wrigley Field...never again. I love baseball and have been to several games sober, still great!
Old 02-16-2019, 06:50 AM
  # 67 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by FoieGras View Post

Great year to be born!
Indeed! And the record that was number 1 on the day I was born was the appropriately titled 'Little Children' by Billy J. Kramer & The Dakotas (number 1 in the UK, in the US it was 'She Loves You' by The Beatles).
Old 02-16-2019, 08:21 AM
  # 68 (permalink)  

Apologies for a straight copy of post in the thread on Sober Music.
I picked the username NessunDorma after the aria in Puccini’s opera Turandot. It’s a beautiful and uplifting tune (many people probably recognise it without knowing what it is). It’s also very relevant to sobriety, all about things being darkest before dawn. The singer faces life and death challenges the next day and is reflecting on the challenge - ending on the triumphant phrase ‘vincero’ (I will win), for me the most resonant and moving piece of any music. So I want to dedicate it to everyone facing the struggles we have with alcohol as for me it just conveys more than anything else what it it is like to overcome them.
Old 02-16-2019, 08:30 AM
  # 69 (permalink)  

At the end of my drinking I was in such bad shape mentally that I swear I had lossed 100 IQ points. One of my main objectives for getting sober was to get the old brain working again.
It's definetliy working. I'm gettingsmarter.
Old 02-16-2019, 12:07 PM
  # 70 (permalink)  

Peace (P) Love (L) Understanding (U) Respect (R) ... had to add the “E” as someone else must have PLUR.
Old 02-16-2019, 01:12 PM
  # 71 (permalink)  

Purple is a favourite colour of mine, not sure why but it's always been striking to me.

Knight has a deeper meaning, since darkening the doors of SR, my addiction has been double edged, dealing with both my own addiction and also being an adult dealing with my dad's addiction, also alcohol.

I have shared the story before, that my dad was the person who taught me how to play chess when I was very young, it's one of the most vivid and only memories of my dad spending time to teach me something, and we used to play a lot to the point I can remember turning the tables from him always beating me, to closing that gap, and finally winning a game.

My dad owned one of the best chess boards I had ever seen, he had bought it in Spain on a holiday before I was even born, the pieces had been meticulously carved, the surface was smooth, it always felt special when we played on it.

When my dad died of his addiction, I continued to play chess, I got involved in a local chess group, we play each weekend in the local coffee shops where I live . . . each year we have a tournament and for the final . . . I dust off my dad's chess board and pieces . . . and we continue to end the year playing on the board that was my dad's prized possession.

. . . my favourite piece in chess has always been the Knight, it has always reminded me that whatever life throws at you, it is only the Knight that can jump over another piece on the board . . .

Don't worry about the obstacles in your way . . . always be a Knight and go over them . . .
Old 02-16-2019, 03:52 PM
  # 72 (permalink)  

I like stars? I count stars? I wish on stars?

As for the avvie/profile pic I adore vintage silk slips and art and photography and water and Weeki Watchee and mermaids and Toni Frisell apparently
Old 02-16-2019, 09:30 PM
  # 73 (permalink)  

I love this thread !!!! Mine is easy - it was given to me by Anna when I signed up and had some glitches with signing in.

And I love my name - but I have no idea what it means
Old 02-16-2019, 09:37 PM
  # 74 (permalink)  

My username is a reference to a book by Camus called The Myth of Sisyphus. In it Camus examines the mythical story of Sisyphus, condemned by the gods to eternally roll a huge rock up a big hill every day only to have it roll back down again. He posits that there are two approaches he could take; the first it curse the rock and rail against his fate while the second is to embrace the task, to intimately learn every facet of the rock. That's an apt metaphor for life IMO. I could wail and gnash my teeth about the things in my life that suck- that I can't drink, that I'm taller, or richer, etc. Or I can embrace my life, all of it, good and bad and learn to love it. It's about acceptance.
Old 02-17-2019, 01:41 AM
  # 75 (permalink)  

Not sure how I came about it as I don't remember - Probably drunk. Anyway I googled it and here's what it said..

kaily
Kaily is someone who is super gorgeous with super hot eyes, they are cool with everyone and people always want to be around them.
Hey dude that chicks name is kaily
yeah dude i can tell by how she looks
#hot#gorgeous#cool#eyes#kaily

Guess we can all dream.
Old 02-17-2019, 02:36 AM
  # 76 (permalink)  

I stole mine from the show Arrested Development.

Apparently others were MUCH more creative.
Old 02-17-2019, 06:08 AM
  # 77 (permalink)  

I'm an artist and have always loved cave paintings since I read a book called "The Sorcerer" in junior high.
Old 02-17-2019, 06:26 AM
  # 78 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MythOfSisyphus View Post
My username is a reference to a book by Camus called The Myth of Sisyphus. In it Camus examines the mythical story of Sisyphus, condemned by the gods to eternally roll a huge rock up a big hill every day only to have it roll back down again. He posits that there are two approaches he could take; the first it curse the rock and rail against his fate while the second is to embrace the task, to intimately learn every facet of the rock. That's an apt metaphor for life IMO. I could wail and gnash my teeth about the things in my life that suck- that I can't drink, that I'm taller, or richer, etc. Or I can embrace my life, all of it, good and bad and learn to love it. It's about acceptance.
What a great metaphor for us all I think. Love this. Thanks.
Old 02-17-2019, 06:53 AM
  # 79 (permalink)  

Mines a fun childhood nickname my brother and sister helped me make up.
My sister was ‘olga wild goose ‘ & my brother was ‘ patch caséblo’

Fun times!
Old 02-17-2019, 08:11 AM
  # 80 (permalink)  

Where I originate from all the girls/women are called Doris and I'm 47.. nothing exciting 😃