Notices

It’s the weekend! 😱

Old 02-08-2019, 01:53 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

It’s the weekend! 😱

Hello lovely people, I’m on day 5 - Yay! except it’s Friday - Boo! Done Mon-Thurs a few times and actually if I’m honest I’d usually have a drink Thursday eve but not acknowledge it - you know that voice in my head ‘i’d ******** myself by Sunday that I hadn’t really drank a lot on Thursday so it doesn’t count’ So actually I’ve done Thursday and not a drop has passed my lips - wow! But *************here comes the weekend ������ and it’s busy busy busy! I run a restaurant/bar and we are hosting a very booozy birthday bash at the bar on Saturday night plus a dear dear but drinking buddy is staying at my house on Saturday night....I haven’t got the option of not working and I have spoken to my friend who is very supportive but and it’s the gigantic BUT!! HELP please any advice would be really really appreciated xxx

Last edited by Dee74; 02-08-2019 at 03:34 PM.
Old 02-08-2019, 02:07 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Today is day 2 for me. I was just now having a think about how not drinking today will affect my tomorrow. Perhaps that might help you?

I booked my birthday (yesterday off work) and today us my Day off. Not drinking today means not dreading work tomorrow, it means not constantly squirting myself with perfume and stuffing mints in my mouth and generally worrying for 7 hours that my colleagues can smell me. I also wont be thinking about my first drink for that said 7 hours. Counting down the long minutes. Because there will be no smell of booze tomorrow morning and there will be no first drink at the end of it all.

How will not drinking at the party affect the day after? Positively im sure
Old 02-08-2019, 02:12 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome, Dolphinslove!

Wow, that's gotta be tough....it's hard enough for me to be sober without being in that type of setting....maybe keep a non-alcoholic drink close by at all times...everyone might seem to be having fun at the moment, but fast forward to the next day and beyond....you can have something planned for the next morning & have to be up early....if anyone asks why you aren't drinking, I like to say I'm giving my liver a break.

Stay close to the forums if you can....read and post....there's always someone around....weekends can be tough but they do get better! And congrats on day 5!
Old 02-08-2019, 03:05 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Ocean Lover!

Maybe join the weekenders thread too, this has helped me get through many weekends! You can do this xx

https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums...ry-2019-a.html (Weekender Thread 8-11 February 2019)
Old 02-08-2019, 04:57 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

It is important to recognize those days/times when the urge to drink is strongest. I was drunk by 6 pm on Friday for so many years. Those white-knuckle times are so hard. But over time, they get easier. Eat. Put yourself somewhere where drinking isn’t convenient. Break the routine that leads you to drink. Bear down. Grind it out. Focus on getting through this weekend. You can DO this.
Old 02-08-2019, 06:37 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Giving up is NOT an option.

I second MantaLady's suggestion to join in on the weekender thread. It's fun, and there are people ready to help you through the rough moments pretty much 24/7. There are people from all over the globe who post there, so there's someone up pretty much all the time.

And, make sure you keep a sparking water or something with you all the time. Remember to eat. Get plenty of sleep. And don't be afraid to just leave if it gets really hard. Make up an excuse if you need to. Do whatever it takes to protect yourself.

Edited to add: I see that you probably won't have the option to just leave the boozy event. Just stay busy, and keep in mind how awful you will probably feel on Sunday if you drink. Maybe write down a memory of a bad hangover so you can look at it if you feel weak. That helped me early on.
Old 02-08-2019, 06:47 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Well done on day 5, keep close, keep posting........
Welcome to SR, it's where you can let it all out, the good,the bad, an the ugly.....
I wish you love on your journey 🙏💖
Old 02-08-2019, 06:51 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Hi Dolphinslove! I'm so glad you're here.

It's extra challenging working in the biz you are in. You're doing so good - don't set yourself back by caving. It will not be worth it in any way. There's nothing but misery at the end of our binges. Stick with us - read & post - we're here to encourage & support you. Be proud of those 5 hard-earned days & don't sabotage yourself. Let us know how it goes.
Old 02-08-2019, 07:09 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I quit drinking in my early thirties when I was working at a busy chain bar/restaurant. We had huge bachelor/bachelorette parties, birthday parties, you name it - every shift. It was fun.

I didn't drink. I worked there for years and I didn't drink.

You can do it too. It's amusing/scary to watch what happens to people when they drink. You'll see things way differently.

The friend at your house? Can you tell him not to drink while he's in your house? If he wants to drink he can go out. I don't have people stay in my house unless it's an emergency, so how about a motel?
Old 02-08-2019, 08:02 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Thank you

What absolute STARS you all are! Thank you for all your reply’s and suggestions. I took a picture of my red and puffy alcohol induced face on Monday morning and just had a look for the first time and scared the s**t outta myself! Will def keep a wine glass full of elderflower and soda on the go ( the wine glass seems to trick my mind into chill mode) and I’m halfway through Cathrine Gray’s ‘the unexpected joy of being sober’ one thing that she suggested and has made me chuckle at the thought of it, is to see boozy parties as an anthropological observation. With me as David Attenborough, observing drinkers in their natural habitat...will def keep you all updated and once again thank you so much xx
Old 02-08-2019, 08:05 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Blueflowers View Post
Today is day 2 for me. I was just now having a think about how not drinking today will affect my tomorrow. Perhaps that might help you?

I booked my birthday (yesterday off work) and today us my Day off. Not drinking today means not dreading work tomorrow, it means not constantly squirting myself with perfume and stuffing mints in my mouth and generally worrying for 7 hours that my colleagues can smell me. I also wont be thinking about my first drink for that said 7 hours. Counting down the long minutes. Because there will be no smell of booze tomorrow morning and there will be no first drink at the end of it all.

How will not drinking at the party affect the day after? Positively im sure
Good on you Blueflowers! Happy happy birthday for yesterday - day 3 tommorow 😝
Old 02-08-2019, 08:05 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Giving up is NOT an option.

Watching other people get drunk while I'm sober is... interesting. And annoying. And a good reminder. I ask myself, "was I really that ridiculous when I drank?" Why yes, yes I was. Not interested in having other people see me that way, ever again. Not to mention how I felt about myself after the fact. Not so good.
Old 02-08-2019, 08:15 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Administrator

Day 5 is great!

I hope that you can get through the weekend. Your work situation sounds difficult, but planning ahead and having a clear idea of how you will get through the shift might help. As far as your house guest, keep in mind it's your house. We never have alcohol in the house and never serve alcohol and I'm so grateful for that.
Old 02-08-2019, 01:31 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I could never have stayed sober being around alcohol early on, particularly not serving it and working big parties.

If you want to get sober, you will likely have to go to any lengths to do so.

That may include getting a job which does not require contact with alcohol.

My sobriety is more important than my job.

And I wouldn't let someone bunk down with me in early recovery who is a heavy drinker.

I wish you the best with whatever you decide.

But, for me, my sobriety is paramount.
Old 02-09-2019, 03:23 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

How are you doing, Dolphinslove?