Notices

New Sobriety - Doing Well?

Old 01-25-2019, 06:37 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

New Sobriety - Doing Well?

Hey ya'll...

I guess I'll start off by a little of my backstory. I'm 31 years old. I started drinking socially when I was 20. In my mid 20s I was happy, engaged to be married, career was going well, everything was all good.

When I was 28 my relationship ended badly, and I was severely depressed, anxious, alone, and turned to alcohol. Somehow, I hid it well. My career was doing better than ever. I would be at the office Monday-Friday 9-5, doing my thing, and doing it well. At 5, like clockwork, I'd stop at the liquor store, get a 750ml bottle of vodka, 2 32oz gatorades....go home...drink til I passed out. Woke up at 7am, went to work, repeat.

As expected, the alcohol wasn't helping cure my depression, I was wildly out of shape, and I was headed to rock bottom.

When I was 31...6 months ago...I decided enough was enough. I quit drinking cold turkey. No help, no AA, no rehab, I had just had enough. I was 20 days into my sobriety when my body decided to let me know that I was too late....

I had a stomach ache. I figured...alright...I'm bloated....probably just part of detox. I chugged water, popped some gas-x, went to bed. Woke up, stomach hurt more and was now insanely distended. Okay....fine....I'll bite the bullet and make a doctor appointment. I got to my general doctor and he looked at me like I was a ghost. He said "Chris, not trying to freak you out, but I'm shocked you're alive right now, you need to get to the hospital immediately".

Got to the hospital and was admitted. Hooked me up to a ton of machines, poked me, prodded me, drained me, poked me more....I was there for a week. Diagnosis...stage 4 liver failure, cirrhosis, jaundice, ascites, kidneys in partial failure, gallstones, acute hypertension....my body had given up on me. 31 years old and dying.

I'm sitting at my office as I type this. I have a sticky note that I keep track of my days sober. 156 days without a sip of alcohol. I've lost 38 lbs, my eyes are bright, my skin is normal, my ascites is gone. My BP is normal, I can breath normally again. I feel healthy.

I know my health problems aren't going away. I know I'm not going to live to be an old man. But right now, I'm sober, and I feel more alive than I've ever felt. I see things so clearly. It's not easy, and I there are days that I just want to drink, but I won't. I choose life.
Old 01-25-2019, 06:43 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome. And thank you for this. A very real reminder of the negative consequences of alcohol abuse.

You sound like you are in a good place spiritually. Wish you continued strength in your recovery.
Old 01-25-2019, 06:44 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Wow.............just wow, shivers ran over my body reading this. Much love to you 🙏
Old 01-25-2019, 06:58 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thanks ya'll. It's a weird feeling. Feeling so healthy, but knowing I'm not. It's almost a bad thing because I no longer have the constant reminder of the devastating consequences of alcohol. There are days I think, "well, I feel great, maybe I'm cured and can have a drink again". Thankfully I usually snap out of that feeling real quick. Staying active and busy helps me a ton. When I get bored is when the thoughts enter my head.
Old 01-25-2019, 07:19 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hello and welcome to this place.

I got shivers reading your post, too.
I've been sober ten years and still come here for reminders like yours's, so thank you.
First of all, I'm glad you're alright health wise. I was in very bad shape when I finally quit, too.
Don't listen to those thoughts in your head telling you you're cured and can drink again. I went through those for the last ten years of my drinking and gave in to them. All it did was keep me drunk and sick.
I don't get them any more and I think part of the reason is coming here and reading posts like yours.

Congratulations on your sober time and remember, you never have to drink again.
Thanks again and best to you.
Old 01-25-2019, 07:33 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thanks for posting. A sharp reminder for me and im sure for a lot of other people reading, wishing you a full healthy recovery and continued soberity.
Old 01-25-2019, 08:22 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Well, that's one Hell of a wake up call, although you seem to be recovering from some serious symptoms. I hoping that life long abstinence will solve the problem. I hope this is the case. I doubt that taking up drinking again will lead to such luck again. That was some pretty serious stuff.

A friend of mine with near 20 years of sobriety took up drinking again about 3 years ago. He's dead now, and while I lost touch with him after he fell off the wagon, I heard his death was alcohol caused and centered around his liver, which he had abused for 20 years before he sobered up. Your liver and kidneys may now be readily susceptible to further abuse for the rest of your life.

I'm not a doctor, but I doubt that you can ever drink safely again. But then, you don't have to.
Old 01-25-2019, 08:32 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by DriGuy View Post
Well, that's one Hell of a wake up call, although you seem to be recovering from some serious symptoms. I hoping that life long abstinence will solve the problem. I hope this is the case. I doubt that taking up drinking again will lead to such luck again. That was some pretty serious stuff.

A friend of mine with near 20 years of sobriety took up drinking again about 3 years ago. He's dead now, and while I lost touch with him after he fell off the wagon, I heard his death was alcohol caused and centered around his liver, which he had abused for 20 years before he sobered up. Your liver and kidneys may now be readily susceptible to further abuse for the rest of your life.

I'm not a doctor, but I doubt that you can ever drink safely again. But then, you don't have to.
Thanks for telling me that. That's crazy about your friend. Scary and sad. I had so many doctors in the hospital telling me different things...of course they all said I can never drink again, but they couldn't seem to come to an agreement on the extent that my liver would be able to heal itself. Back then, my liver physically hurt, which I didn't even know was possible.
Old 01-25-2019, 11:50 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by WhoDeyPI View Post
Thanks for telling me that. That's crazy about your friend. Scary and sad. I had so many doctors in the hospital telling me different things...of course they all said I can never drink again, but they couldn't seem to come to an agreement on the extent that my liver would be able to heal itself. Back then, my liver physically hurt, which I didn't even know was possible.
I'm just guessing that the liver does not repair itself fully. And my friend's fatal experience is anecdotal, not some scientific finding. I'm also basing this on doctors saying "you can't drink again." An ex girlfriend had a son hospitalized with alcoholic pancreatitis, and the doctors told him not to drink again. He quit for a while, and then started drinking again, and later quit once more according to my girl friend. But in fact, I know first hand that she never really knew when he was drinking or not drinking, because he would lie about it and try to keep it hidden. Now he's overseas, and she would have no way of knowing anything about his drinking. I've lost touch with both of them.

Either way, it's safe to say that alcohol abuse is not good for anyone's health. At best, some people drink and get away with it. Those who have recovered from serious physical symptoms I would think are highly at risk.
Old 01-26-2019, 12:52 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Do your best

That was powerful brother
Old 01-26-2019, 01:11 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm sorry for the health issues that you are dealing with. 156 days of sobriety is great, and the fact that you feel healthy is really a blessing.
Old 01-26-2019, 01:16 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Powerful post. Glad you’re doing well. Thank you. Eye opener to the severity of this disease.
Old 01-26-2019, 06:01 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Wow. I agree this is a powerful story. It truly is a great thing to read for anyone thinking of going back to the bottle or comtemplating quitting. Your sober time is wonderful. Kudos to you. I'm on day 24 and thankfully have no desire to start again.
I'm curious- now that you are six months in, do you see improvement in all the tests they originally performed?
Best of luck to you and thanks for sharing!
Hope
Old 01-27-2019, 07:59 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Wow this sent chills down my spine too. I’m so glad you are sober. Keep up the great work on sobriety, I’m right behind you at 131 days
Old 01-27-2019, 09:35 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm glad you're with us Chris- welcome aboard

D
Old 01-28-2019, 08:40 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by kiki26 View Post
Wow this sent chills down my spine too. I’m so glad you are sober. Keep up the great work on sobriety, I’m right behind you at 131 days
Woooohooo! Good work. I survived the weekend sober...and it was pretty easy for once.

Friday night: Got home, cooked dinner, binged Netflix, fell asleep by 10.
Saturday: Woke up at 7, got a haircut, went on a 5 mile hike at a new nature preserve, went to dinner with friends, asleep by 10.

Sunday: Woke up at 8, made a nice breakfast, went on a run, watched a basketball game, went to the bowling alley with friends.

Monday: up early at the office ready to go!
Old 01-28-2019, 08:46 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by HopefulYear777 View Post
Wow. I agree this is a powerful story. It truly is a great thing to read for anyone thinking of going back to the bottle or comtemplating quitting. Your sober time is wonderful. Kudos to you. I'm on day 24 and thankfully have no desire to start again.
I'm curious- now that you are six months in, do you see improvement in all the tests they originally performed?
Best of luck to you and thanks for sharing!
Hope
Unfortunately, after my long stint in the hospital, I ended up losing my health insurance coverage. A went back twice a month for several months for tests, but had to stop going because I can't afford it.

My blood work had been normal, and my liver enzyme test (I think that's what they called it) showed consistant liver improvement every time I took it. I'm on 5 different prescriptions with unlimited refills. 1 is Lasix (strong diuretic), 1 is Spironlactone (stronger diuretic for heart and liver failure), 1 is some form of b1, 1 is a multi-vitamin, then the last one is like some from of iron potassium nonsense. Anyway, I just take the pills and hope for the best!
Old 01-28-2019, 09:39 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Thanks for sharing your story. How frightening for you.

I hope you keep posting and I wish you all the best.

Well done on your 159 days!
Old 01-28-2019, 08:59 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Thanks for your post it could be a very real reality for all of us if we were to keep drinking. I will keep you in my prayers. God can heal and restore your body I truly believe in miracles.
Old 01-29-2019, 07:41 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Not that it matters, but my "number" in the original post was off. According to my sticky-note, today I'm 158 days sober.

Anyway, I joined a Monday night bowling league to fill my Monday nights, which used to be a big drinking night for me to "shake off" the "shakes" from the weekend. I never really bowled at all, but bought a ball, shoes, a bag...everything I need to look official LOL. It's fun, and I'm slowly getting better. Had to deal with some drunk opponents last night. Man, belligerent drunks sure are annoying!