Notices

New Sobriety - Doing Well?

Old 01-29-2019, 08:21 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

All the gear and no idea.
Old 02-01-2019, 07:35 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Day 161. Kind of using this feed as my journal I suppose. Wasn't really my intent, but whatever. Tomorrow is going to be 61 degrees, which is ideal for my sobriety. I'll be hitting the mountain trails. Nothing but fresh air, nature, and my thoughts. By the time I get back Saturday evening, I'll be too wiped out to do much of anything, and will end up in bed pretty early.

Sunday is "the big game". I'll be at a Super Bowl party with a bunch of non-drinkers. These people never had a problem with alcohol, they just never drank it because they weren't "into how it makes them feel". I suppose I'll never fully understand that, but it is a good group to be around. Go Rams.
Old 02-01-2019, 08:48 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Congratulations on your 161 days of freedom! I really do appreciate you sharing your story.thank you so much and i wish you continued healing and happiness
Old 02-01-2019, 09:05 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Winslow View Post
Congratulations on your 161 days of freedom! I really do appreciate you sharing your story.thank you so much and i wish you continued healing and happiness
Thanks! I'm so glad I found a place to talk about it. Las Vegas? Dang, I feel like I would struggle being sober there!
Old 02-01-2019, 09:30 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Wow. A real wake up story. I don't know why some people can drink for years and others cannot. I have been in and out of sobriety for years. It is hard. I recently had to cut off contact with a friend I have known for almost 40 years. I doubt anybody could believe the amount he drinks and smokes. Weed, Newports, beer and whisky and vodka at 9 AM. He has been doing this for years but he is still alive and kicking. All I know is that I had to stop. Keep up the sober days and best of luck to you.
Old 02-01-2019, 10:44 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Jim1958 View Post
Wow. A real wake up story. I don't know why some people can drink for years and others cannot. I have been in and out of sobriety for years. It is hard. I recently had to cut off contact with a friend I have known for almost 40 years. I doubt anybody could believe the amount he drinks and smokes. Weed, Newports, beer and whisky and vodka at 9 AM. He has been doing this for years but he is still alive and kicking. All I know is that I had to stop. Keep up the sober days and best of luck to you.
It's crazy....and you're right. I know people in their 50s that drink whisky nonstop. Like a bottle at night, wake up the next morning and take shots for breakfast, and they smoke a pack of cigarettes every day. They aren't "healthy" by any means, but they don't have any real life threatening medical issues. Mostly just overweight and look like they were hit by the ugly bus.

I don't know if they are just "lucky" or what.
Old 02-04-2019, 06:03 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Day 164...made it through another weekend...didn't want to drink, didn't crave it, didn't think about it. Love this feeling.
Old 02-04-2019, 06:35 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Your story is inspiring and it’s never too late to give up the booze!! Proud of you for your strength in kicking this habit!! Keep on the healthy path and take care of yourself, and you may find many lasting sober years ahead! Do a google search of stories of hope for those with cirrhosis, it will enlighten you. Many are out there battling this and it can be managed, just have to do some lifestyle changes obviously. Keep fighting the good fight, one day at a time❤️
Old 02-04-2019, 07:27 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

WhoDeyPl - Thanks for sharing your story. I really need to read about all these negative consequences. I could see this happening to me with my constant drinking . My liver never has a chance to heal. It makes me sad. So thanks for the shock I need to keep me sober. I wish you well & enjoy reading these "journal" entries in the post.
Old 02-06-2019, 10:32 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

That is a hell of a story man. Wow. Any chance for a transplant?
Old 02-07-2019, 03:17 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  
Administrator

congrats on 164 whodeyPL

D
Old 02-11-2019, 10:12 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Day 171....woooohoooo. Next Wednesday is my 6 month mark. I'm totally going to celebrate with pizza or ice cream or something.
Old 02-11-2019, 10:14 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by babycat View Post
That is a hell of a story man. Wow. Any chance for a transplant?
Transplant isn't an option for me since my kidneys and gallbladder are also in bad shape. Can't get new everything! I'll be alright, I'm at peace with it and my symptoms are literally nonexistent right now. Maybe I can beat the impossible.
Old 02-11-2019, 10:33 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  

you have company on your journey

life is a blessing many take for granted

which you do not...…

great post
Old 02-11-2019, 10:47 AM
  # 35 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by PhoenixJ View Post
you have company on your journey

life is a blessing many take for granted

which you do not...…

great post
Thanks, Phoenix. I see life so much differently now. Every single day truly is a blessing.
Old 02-11-2019, 11:17 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  

WDP- some days it is enough that we 'just are', I feel. I know now that the awful feelings I get will pass, and feeling this way cannot do me harm if choose them not to- especially with not using booze,
Old 02-12-2019, 06:31 AM
  # 37 (permalink)  
Duck Duck Goose!

Thanks for this thread. I’ve been rather cavalier in the past about my fatty liver and this was a literal punch in the gut.

I am so glad that you are doing well. Seriously.
Old 02-12-2019, 09:40 AM
  # 38 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by FoieGras View Post
Thanks for this thread. I’ve been rather cavalier in the past about my fatty liver and this was a literal punch in the gut.

I am so glad that you are doing well. Seriously.
Thanks, and yeah, it's nothing to mess around with. I drank for years and didn't think it was having any "serious" affect on my health. I knew it was making me gain weight, but thought that was it.

I'd say the first time I started having a concern was when I literally felt liver pain. It hurt constantly. It would come and go, but I knew something was wrong. Turns out, my liver was so fatty,swollen, and inflamed, that it was pressing against my ribs. Still, I kept drinking. Like I said in my OP, I didn't experiance jaundice or ascites until I stopped drinking! Crazy. I pray that you never turn yellow, because then you know it is likely too late.

Now, 172 days sober...I honestly have no symptoms at all. People who have no idea about my issues have recently told me "wow, you look so healthy, what is your secret?". Life is good!
Old 02-12-2019, 07:41 PM
  # 39 (permalink)  
Duck Duck Goose!

That is awesome! (The life is good part.)

Yes to liver pain, no to yellow. Although things are feeling better already (it’s been a week since I stopped).
Old 02-13-2019, 05:11 AM
  # 40 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by FoieGras View Post
That is awesome! (The life is good part.)

Yes to liver pain, no to yellow. Although things are feeling better already (it’s been a week since I stopped).
My yellow only lasted like 3-4 days, it was weird. The liver pain was awful. I would've never imagined that it was possible for an internal organ to hurt!