Notices

Day One on this new Forum

Old 01-24-2019, 01:37 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day One on this new Forum

Hello

I've accepted that I do need help and friends. I can come to this support group every day because the computer is at my house. I am an AA drop out, it was super hard for me to go every single day. And it triggered me to drink more. I'm currently seeing a therapist, trying to find ways to maintain my sobriety and sustain the sober days as long and as much as I can.

I no longer want to hurt my husband or family members w/ bad behavior and stupid texts messages that make no sense. >.>

I'm very happy that I just signed up. And people in your chat have been great. This darkness is something I want out of my life. Thank you for having me, and for having this board here.
Old 01-24-2019, 01:42 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR

I am 24 days sober currently.

Every month on SR a new 'class' (group) starts for people trying to start their sobriety during that period. Please join us in the January group if you would like to?

https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums...art-3-a-3.html
Old 01-24-2019, 01:49 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Ocean Lover!

Welcome Elizabeth! x
Old 01-24-2019, 02:09 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome Elizabethy. Please post as much as you feel comfortable. Its important to know that you are not alone and that your issue with alcohol is not unique. Be safe.
Old 01-24-2019, 02:11 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

It's wonderful to have you with us, Elizabeth.

You put it perfectly - 'This darkness is something I want out of my life.' I regret all the years I wasted thinking alcohol was making things fun or exciting. Being numb is boring, & even dangerous. I hope the support and encouragement you find here will help you get free. Congratulations for making this big decision.
Old 01-24-2019, 02:22 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Welcome, and I'm so glad you joined us.

I wouldn't be sober if it wasn't for my daily check-ins with SR. I've learned a lot about myself, why I drink, what makes me want to drink, and how to handle those bad days.
Old 01-24-2019, 02:26 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Welcome Elizabeth. Sr is a great place to be. I second Tonya suggestions about the January class. It's such a support to be with people at the same stage as you. As well as broader support on all the threads
Old 01-24-2019, 02:30 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the family. I hope the awesome support here can help you get sober for good.
Old 01-24-2019, 03:55 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR. Read and post often. I’m new too and have already found benefit in this site. You’ve taken the first step, keep going!
Old 01-24-2019, 03:59 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Welcome Beth. SR is a safe, supportive and welcoming community. Look around the different forums- there are stories, info, a report in 24, all kinds.

Support to you.
Old 01-24-2019, 05:38 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Welcome aboard.. there is so much support here. Come visit and post when you feel urge to drink. You got this
Old 01-24-2019, 05:40 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Welcome to the forum. Glad you’re here.
Old 01-24-2019, 06:24 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Welcome Elizabethy. This forum has kept me sober for 24 days. The great thing about SR is people draw from different tools and recovery methods to not drink. Some people go to AA and some people do not. In my first three weeks, I was on SR non-stop. As Just Tony said, you are welcome to join the January 2019 group. It's a great bunch who are doing this one day at a time.
Old 01-24-2019, 06:41 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Hi Elizabeth. Glad you found this forum. SR really helped me get on track (and stay on track).

I’ve heard AA is a wonderful program but it is not for everyone. I chose not to go because of my profession and I live in a small community. That’s just me. I have, however, practiced many of the ideas AA promotes. I’ve read the twelve steps and incorporate these into my life, believe in a higher power, and I believe we are all here to help each other in this struggle.

I think it’s great you are doing therapy. I did as well, and found it really helpful (and still do occasionally) . Some other things I did and continue: yoga, meditation, journaling, practicing gratitude, intense exercise (running), checking in here. I’ve done a lot of reading on recovery stories as well as alcohol effects on brain and body as well. Recently I’ve been exploring creativity and art, which I find to be very therapeutic.

There’s no one right path for everyone. Sober life is so much better!

Hope to see more of you here.
Old 01-24-2019, 09:14 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Hi Elizabeth

Welcome. You will pat yourself on the back in just a little while for joining here. I am now 5 months sober and used only SR for help.

Just so sad that I didn't find this site sooner.

Good luck on this exciting journey.
Old 01-24-2019, 09:46 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Hi Elizabeth yes so important to find a recovery path you are compatible with. That is the beauty of this place, it is just a bunch of people with various backgrounds and types of approaches to recovery

It's a tough old nut to crack on your own so glad you are seeking support. We welcome you on here with open arms
Old 01-25-2019, 05:09 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR!